Total Download Size: 256.71 MiB

>Total Download Size: 256.71 MiB
>Total Installed Size: 1106.59 MiB
>Net Upgrade Size: 6.75 MiB

Why do I have to download 250MiB so it can only actually install 7MiB?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Deltup
debdelta.debian.net/
android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/07/improvements-for-smaller-app-downloads.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Package managers do not send deltas of packages (for good reasons). When you upgrade, you download the whole thing again.

It deletes the old version

Because developers don't give a fuck about optimization as long as the fix works.

>for good reasons
What are those reasons? I am still learning so no bully and thanks everyone for quick replies.

Windows does not have this problem

good 4 u pham

>Steam updates some shitty game
>changelog shows it's a couple of bugfixes
>download is 100s of MB
:|

the funny thing is that i only have steam with zero games installed

That is why I dropped Dota 2 in favor of League. Volvo fucked it up with their new HUD and UI trying to look like discount league of legends.

Fuck Steam.

He's right, instead WIndows eats GBs of disk space in shadow copies which must manually be cleared or until 15% disc space is used.

It would just be much more annoying for them to maintain.
Also, new installations would be much longer/more bloated, as they would have to apply possibly hundreds to thousands of deltas when it's installed.

windows updates are way worse it literally takes it over 6 hours to download and install several updates of less than 150 MB

Installing it offline isn't better either windows takes hours to move the file to the update cache

>discount league of legends
kek.
League of legends was a discount heroes of newearth.

and everything was discount warcraft 3

They'd need to keep every previous version so they can generate an appropriate delta for you.

This. The new version is 6.75 MiB bigger.

The monthly rollups consolidate all the past updates after SP1 and take like 10 mins to install. After that you only have .NET Framework and a couple of miscellaneous optional updates.

If you want to go one step further, you can slipstream all the updates into your SP1 ISO.

>game has dlc released
>forces everyone to update it as a patch
>"dlc" is just a 1mb authentication file
>patch is 15 gig
>can't play online without it
>patch offers nothing else outside of the dlc

Not to mention, the user would be forced to keep the tarball after it has already been installed, so they have something to actually apply the delta to.
You're effectively using 2 times the space you need to.

Fedora does it.
I think you can do it with Arch but it's not on by default.

Why can't my PC generate the delta itself. Just compare hashes of each file

what do you mean forced? you can delete cached stuff

Sure, but then you won't be able to use the delta.

Disk cleanup + CCleaner

Next

No, pacman downloads whole packages.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Deltup

Explain me that. I admit I dont understand it fully , but I thought that when you upgrade you upgrade and the cached stuff doesnt matter anymore so you can delete it.

One is that you can skip some updates and download the latest version there is. If you use deltas you will have to incrementally update. And it is usually safer doing one thing instead of many.

I didn't knew that. Has anyone tried if this works fine?

all these games was created because warcraft was limiting.
You had to install a bunch of separate applications, to keep track of banlists, refreshers etc.
Warcraft was a lot better though. It had a lot of games styles available.

how do you go from comparing hashes to the delta?

Debian has delta packages
debdelta.debian.net/

A delta is just the difference between one file and another.
To use a delta, you apply it to the old file.
Say we have mypkg-1.0.0.tar.xz.
It then gets upgraded to 1.0.1, so you download mypkg-1.0.1.tar.xz.xdelta.
So, to get the new file, you "combine" the two files together.
mypkg-1.0.0.tar.xz + mypkg-1.0.1.tar.xz.xdelta => mypkg-1.0.1.tar.xz

If you don't have mypkg-1.0.0.tar.xz, you can't do this, and will have to download it again.

You figure out which files are different and then only download those

Thank you user.

Because you're not using fedora and don't get deltaRPMs

Storage space is cheap now, why not maintain both. If someone skips a version he just downloads every thing but usually the diff would be used. The mirrors would have less load and be faster.

The extra workload is on the maintainers, who package the uncompressed files, but they would profit the most because their upload time is significantly reduced.

oh, i thought deltas were differences in data within files

maybe what I'm talking about is not a delta.
but it should surely be possible and lead to smaller download sizes?

google does that for the play store
android-developers.googleblog.com/2016/07/improvements-for-smaller-app-downloads.html