Are these the core advantages of Tor over VPN?

1. Tor is decentralized. Everyone can create a Tor node and be part of Tor. (Tor devs periodically and costantly check the Tor relays)

2. Tor is free and open source. Everyone can look at the code and improve it and see that there're actually no logs and data stored.

Is this that guarantees that the relays won't give any data away, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

wearethorn.org
science.slashdot.org/story/17/01/05/2159219/ultrasound-tracking-could-be-used-to-deanonymize-tor-users
theverge.com/2013/12/18/5224130/fbi-agents-tracked-harvard-bomb-threats-across-tor
forbes.com/sites/runasandvik/2013/12/18/harvard-student-receives-f-for-tor-failure-while-sending-anonymous-bomb-threat/#11afe8d35457
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

problem with Tor is that its really easy to find you when you are the only one in your area who is using it .. so its really not a recommended use in low population areas

it is also heavily infested with government agencies who are trying to catch people using it

wearethorn.org

CIA, FBI, NSA

They also found a method via phones and when you have a phone near you and visit a website it plays a frequency sound you cant hear that gets picked up by your phone and that way they can circle you .. shit like that

people who believe they can never be caught doing anything on TOR are fucking retarded

lol that you think the CIA cares about tor beyond south american druglords using it to push product.

Phones should be considered compromised at this point and handled accordingly.

>problem with Tor is that its really easy to find you when you are the only one in your area who is using it

I2p doesnt have this problem. You could be the only man in your country using it and it would still be impossible to do traffic correlation on it.

Everyone is a node by DEFAULT.

nice try CIA

OP here

Thank you for your answer. But, aside from what you said, are my two points written before the main reasons of why Tor is better?

>They also found a method via phones and when you have a phone near you and visit a website it plays a frequency sound you cant hear that gets picked up by your phone and that way they can circle you .. shit like that

Is this what you're talking about?

science.slashdot.org/story/17/01/05/2159219/ultrasound-tracking-could-be-used-to-deanonymize-tor-users

>problem with Tor is that its really easy to find you when you are the only one in your area who is using it .. so its really not a recommended use in low population areas

but ISPs have to handle them logs away saying that at that particular time only such user from that zone used Tor. But what if there are other users who used it as well in that particular time? So they can't be 100% sure if the Tor relays don't log anything.

Don't use tor for privacy. Use it for trashtalking people anonymously in the internet.
This is the only thing tor is useful for.

I don't want to sound rude or something like that but I'd like to hear well-explained technical reasons instead of just "don't use it; it's not as good as they say"

>problem with Tor is that its really easy to find you when you are the only one in your area who is using it .. so its really not a recommended use in low population areas

care to elaborate? source?

theverge.com/2013/12/18/5224130/fbi-agents-tracked-harvard-bomb-threats-across-tor
forbes.com/sites/runasandvik/2013/12/18/harvard-student-receives-f-for-tor-failure-while-sending-anonymous-bomb-threat/#11afe8d35457
same story from 2 sources.

>vpn + tor
das it mane

>TOR
Good way to figure out the uneducated and only spouting FUD kids.

>spaces between lines
Please stop.

tl;dr use bridges if you want to hide that you are using Tor, also want to look in pluggable transports.

Thank you, that's really interesting.

Though I feel "do not use in low population areas" is a bit of an overstatement. He was dumb enough to threaten the place he used it from. They can't trace your normal web-browsing through this kind of correlation "attack".

The kid was retarded, you don't use TOR from your fucking home/school/work connection.
Wardriving is a thing for a reason.

I2P is worse, it allows any moderate adversary to correlate traffic.
There are few papers on i2p attacks.

Why?

So, can't anyone answer me, seriously?Are my two points written before the main reasons of why Tor is better?

Tor is better researched, and for overall anonymity because of the Tor browser you basically blend in with all the other users.
You can use bridges or pluggable transports to conceal your Tor connection.
To make use of Tor at it's fullest potential you have to read up a few things.
Tor also is free as in freedom so it's superior to a commercial VPN in that regard.
There is a ton of research done on Tor itself so a lot of information is up for grabs to read about.
Opensource doesn't guarantee anything other than that everyone is running the code that is advertised ( can build from source ) and that everyone can look at it to find bugs or improve or research something ( even the bad guys )

but also the fact that the tor nodes don't log anything, as they say. Otherwise it will be bugged and futile. Right? But how can we be *really* sure they don't log anything at all?

Tor vs VPN is like comparing curtains vs a couch.
They are completely different things.

VPNs does not offer any anonymization. Everything you do with a VPN can still be tracked back to you. But it does prevent eavesdropping between you and the VPN server (assuming the tunnel is encrypted).

Tor on the other hand is made to anonymize you. It is designed so that even if one or several nodes want to look at your traffic, it is still extremely hard to trace anything back to you.

The Tor daemon doesn't log anything sensitive by itself, there are always possibilities that an exit node is logging but there are people looking for malicious exit nodes any exit node that is found to be malicious will receive badexit flag and thus won't be part of network anymore.
To log on relays is useless because there is only encrypted traffic going through.