So my mostly tech illiterate parents have friends that are using this with third party add-ons for TV (the big thing...

So my mostly tech illiterate parents have friends that are using this with third party add-ons for TV (the big thing naturally being sports) and are asking me about it and if I can install it, now I know jack shit about all these distros and the like so can anyone tell me about this shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

kodi.tv
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You can't call others tech illiterate and then ask questions like this OP.

kodi.tv
here you'll get all the answer you seek
now get the fuck off Sup Forums you tech illiterate mongoloid.

How would you like being tech support for your parents for the foreseeable future?
If yes, it's totally easy to do.
If no, tell them not to do it.
It's easy enough to setup a box. Basically just take any kinda computer and install it like you would Windows and then add the add-ons but if something gets shutdown because of piracy, you're going to have to keep up on what works and What doesn't and they are going to complain forever as to why their favorite channel doesn't work anymore

I could go and grab any random installer I am aware, but I haven't given a single shit about TV in nearly 10 years and I've not even got a foundation for knowing who's gonna be good, etc, etc.

Yeah that's what I feared, I really should have read over my post and specifically asked a bit more about that kind of thing, but whatever.

So where do people keep up with what's going on on the idk what to call it, TV piracy/restreaming/however they do it scene?

underage

Download it from Kodi.
Install it.
Google: best add-ons for Kodi
Follow the instructions on how to edit the add-ons manager.
That's it .
That being said, I've never run this on Windows, but I'd be cautious about things. I have some doubts about the security of this whole thing once outside repos are added. And, unfortunately, the tv/movie add-ons that ship with Kodi by default, are largely shit.

just install kodi, then google how to install sports devil or whatever addon there are.

So there's actually no specific "these are the right people"? fair enough, and I wouldn't be running it on windows, my parents got a fire stick for installing it on so they want me to go around and install it or they'll get someone else to do so and at the end of the day I'd rather at least know what's going on before they start complaining at me.

It's not my fault I live within 20 minutes of my parents.

>my parents are tech illiterates
>pls halp me instal kodi

my god you're tech illiterate

It's everything after installing, I just don't know how trustworthy and high quality these things are because I just torrent shit so have no reason to keep up with this.

>i do so i have no reason to use google

In today's time, the only difference between tech illiterate neanderthals and people that are able to use technology is the ability to fucking Google the question and read the results.

It LITERALLY is just that

Kodi, itself, is a great piece of software. Many of the add ons are shit though. Also, sometimes a good add on will change it's sources for it's streams, and go to shit. But that's kind of to be expected from this sort of thing.

I was mostly hoping more than anything that there was something better than picking whichever package and hoping it's fine and maybe someone that's vaguely knowledgable about this particular element of the scene would weigh in.

Considering that does constitute like half of the time I spend coding yes, it's just that the results on google filled me with little confidence. But I suppose it's not something I'm familiar with so maybe I shouldn't expect it to act like the things I am.

its literally the shit you torrent uploaded to media hosting sites like openload. all the different "builds" of kodi typically use the same base of addons with riced up skins. thats it.

I figured it would be something like that for the movies and the like, and all the live TV stuff they talk about I assume is just re-streams from some guy's server, with terrible looking riced up skins.

But yeah if there's no "these are the guys that aren't shit" then w/e I'll just grab whatever sounds half way decent.

if you follow this you'll be fine.

tvaddons.ag is what you want to check out, they have a quick lazy way to set it up good

do they have an htpc, a roku or are they gonna buy some android shitbox for you to put kodi on? ideal situation I think is htpc + smarttv +plex set up with webtools addon

kodi is far from "good"

the database for movies is an example of how to do the worst job maintaining a database

amazon fire stick.

And yeah that sounds like it would be but they're doing it to save money not spend more.

dope, will check it out.

>the database for movies
That's what I was trying to say. Default Kodi is pretty solid, albeit, useless.

you can also get plex for amazon fire and if you have an unused pc laying around, anything c2d or better is perfectly fine for an htpc. plex has better databasing than kodi for local media which you'll want to hook them up with if they rewatch things a lot

Yeah the best they have is a laptop that does see some use which I could possibly do something with, but really they're just in it to get free TV and movies because a friend told them they can, the rewatching thing is probably going to come up at some point though which is something I didn't really think about.

what is in default kodi then.. cuz I have no addons

firetv stick is too slow. Just get the firetv. Way better. Besides, you don't don't have to fight with wifi not reaching the downstairs living room and shit like that.

Get Exodus. Pretty much the only need to have addon for Kodi.

>Not using samba for your network shares

>Exodus
no thx I don't use your cunty normie addons

I steal shit on my amsterdam server and ssh it to my new jersey server and ssh it to my colorado server where I DL it from to my media server at home and share with NFS.

when you add these items to your movie database, the database is fucking constructed horribly after scraping the websites and it is slow as fucking shit as well as cluttered for no reason.

samba is garbage. If you have a windows machine and need CIFS in your home, kys

B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T

Despite the long delay this may be very useful, thank you friendo.

Question, what is the best repo to get that has TONS of themes and skins?