OpenSUSE: the best linux distro (desktop) ever

openSUSE: the best linux distro (desktop) ever.
> best community
> apt
> YaST
> best wiki
> best looking
> highly configurable
> stable release or rolling release
> for newby and developers
Prove me wrong.
Protip: you can't. (This time seriously you can't!)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's with all the openPEPE shills all of a sudden?

Also
>patched firefox

Also
> patched a 11yo bug in Linux

>systemd

wtf I like openSuse now!

youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww

this isn't too bad desu.

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

>> highly configurable

just like literally every distro. Man openSUSE really stands out from the crowd!

windows 10 with limux subsystem is GNU/windows

Is upgrading Leap from one version to the next version without burning a new DVD a bad idea?

I'm on tumbleweed right now and like it for the most part, but I'm tired of the constant big upgrades.

If you don't use SUSE... YOU A LOOSA!

>nobody on Sup Forums even mentions suse
>I started shilling for suse
>now people recommend it in nub threads

yee

Wtf..every day someanon says always the same thing. Every one knows that linux is only the kernel..and if I say linux distro instead of gnu/linux distro it's not because I don't know it. Stop being a fucking senpai. It's so ridiculous focus on the name. You officially break my balls.

I've heard that people sometimes have weird troubles with that, yes. Like weird errors and whatnot.

An occasional clean install is a good idea anyway for any OS.

openSUSE is truly tremendous. I'm so glad I left Fedora + Gnome for openSUSE + KDE a few years back.

Only issue I had was with how the default installation had configured btrfs and shit which nearly gave me a heart attack at first due to the surprise (no space left on device), but that was easily enough fixed and never bothered me again.

Yeah, pretty much anyone who knows what btrfs is already knows whether or not they want to use it. It should not be default.

ext4 is still perfectly fine for general use.

Linux subsystem for windows 10 is half broken and miss a lot of packages in the depots

Expected god tier cringe but that was actually really well made desu

I thought the only issues were that it could break if the connection is interrupted mid-upgrade and there's no post-install cleanup. But, if there are other issues on top of that which could arise, I'll just do it the normal way. Thanks for the info.

The main reason I chose Tumbleweed over Leap was that I didn't want to keep reinstalling my OS. At least this will be what finally gets me to make a post-install script to make it easier.

I'm pretty sure you download packages before installing them...

>use openSUSE
>don't use Tumbleweed
Why people do this?

I think that the biggest problem of our community (gnu/linux users) it's that there are too many distros, this lead to divide our community in many little community. I believe the only possible solution to this problem should be find a distro that all we use and develop and I think openSUSE it's probably the best gnu/linux distro nowadays. Come together in a single distro will create a big community and together we can solve all the possible problems. I invite you to try openSUSE..together we are stronger.

i've had shit luck with rolling release/unstable distros

openSUSE give us the choice between a stable or a rolling release version. I think everyone should choose the one it prefers..there is nothing better than the possibility of choice.

A better solution is to recognize both the strength and weaknesses of fragmentation.

Keep all the distros and their communities, but make a Linux hub community for all distros. There probably already is such a place, and I should probably join it.

>didn't Just Work™ on my machine

It's garbage.

WiFi problem?

Your absolutely right
openPEPE is /our distro/

Germans are not known for their subtleness. Probably Suse just hired new PR people.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Someone already did the pasta moron.

Gnu project is trying to create a kernel (hurd) from 1990..it's so ridiculous ..without linux probably you'll be a winfag..gnu is the most inutile part of the gnu/linux distro and the fact that there are so many gnu retarded that focus on the name confirm that.

>An occasional clean install is a good idea anyway for any OS
niggerly niggery.
it's only true for shitty OS
like opensuse

Only true for Windows actually.

It's fine if you don't have any packages outside the repos installed.

If you have system utils from outside the repos it can be... dicey.

>zypper dup --download-in-advance --cross-fingers