Does speeding save time?

I made an Android app that calculates how much time, or how little time, you save by speeding in your car. Gotta pimp it out on Sup Forums. Open source, no ads just the way y'all like it.

jakehilborn.github.io/speedr/

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-speedr-v1-0-speeding-car-save-time-t3561318
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>android
>not apple

lel

What a wonderful self incriminating app

LMAO, what a faggot.

As someone who meticulously follows traffic laws that is bad ass.

I've wanted some real data thank you based user.

>apple
What are you, gay?

No police will catch you if you drive fast enough.

Get a new look Jake. I can do you a proper headshot. Come to Idaho.

Yes for when the police get a search warrant for my phone for a speeding ticket

try /o/
obvs you'll save time on the freeway but in town I think you're better off trying to predict the traffic lights.

>Come to Idaho
Don't invite that faggot here, we're full

You're cool jake

Maybe he likes looking like a total faggot.

This. I make an effort to never stop moving.

ffs talk about the app not about how flaming I am. Never change Sup Forums

I got yer search warranty rittttght here
*unzips gun*

>shilling your garbage
>doxing yourself

Well I'd love to talk about it. But I need to have somewhere to go first :(

Maybe I should make a late night run to Los Betos...

>he made an app for it
>when it's a trivial calculation you can do in your head

I'll bite.

It's dynamically calculated so that each moment you're driving over the speed limit the 'time saved' value goes up. When you're stuck in traffic the 'time saved' number does not decrement. Simple calculations in your head can't take this stuff into account.

Gotta drive fast while looking at my phone!

Make another app with student databases so that when you shoot up a school, you'll know who you missed.

>When you're stuck in traffic the 'time saved' number does not decrement.
so you made your application deliberately flawed, nice

>Make another app with student databases so that when you shoot up a school, you'll know who you missed.

Are you being sarcastic?

Goddamn, that made me laugh so hard I scared my cat.

It's not your fault you're stuck in traffic. This app measures the difference between

1) The time that it actually takes to get from point a to point b when following the speed limit.

2) The time it actually takes to get from point a to point b when you choose to speed given the opportunity.

>I made an Android app
You fucked up. Unless you want your app to be popular among Indians or Africans, you don't develop for Android.

Does it work in Canada?
How does it it know speed limits on smaller streets and such

You don't understand. The only meaningful comparison between speeding time and speed-limit time must include time spent waiting in traffic because it is a major factor in the overall time.

Speed run - 8:40
Speed limit - 9:20

If you cut out the time spent waiting in traffic, the numbers on the road at speed might look like

Speed - 3:10
Speed limit - 5:45

WOAH SPEEDING IS CLOSE TO HALVING YOUR DRIVE TIME WOOOOAAAAAAH!

But it doesn't. You can't cut out the traffic time, or you arrive at comparisons that are meaningless to the real world

It works anywhere in the world that OpenStreetMap or HERE Maps has speed limit data. Some areas are better than others of course.

In the settings of the app you can change 'mph' to 'km/h'.

Can you upload it to f-droid?

It's neat that someone on Sup Forums recognizes the value of breaking silly and arbitrary rules revenue hogs have in place for no one's benefit but their own, but you don't need an app for that.

Only use it has is to shove in the face of backseat drivers who keep telling you to slow down and show them the fruits of your actions

We're on the same page.The time spent waiting at traffic lights is included in the 'drive time'. The 'time saved' number is the one not lowered when driving below the speed limit.

What I was referring to was the simple calculation of distanceOfDrive * speedLimit = time. Then compare if your time is greater or lesser than that.

I'm planning on doing that tomorrow. They don't just take the apk, you must provide the source for them to build it with. Gotta take some time to figure out that process.

In the mean time you can use the stand alone apk. You'll still get update notifications.

Stupid app made my car sooooo slow NO STARS

-Rajeev Rakeshhumarpav

jake JUSTborn

op will incentivize speeding and cause many deaths

The app is intended to be informational. You'll find that you actually save very little time speeding on non-freeways so why even take the risk?

Furthermore, I didn't include leaderboards, achievements, or flashy lights/noises since I don't want to encourage speeding.

I'm an aggressive driver myself and this app doesn't entice me to speed more than I usually do.

Speeding is almost never a factor in fatal car crashes, the main cause is the drivers lack of experience

>I didn't include leaderboards, achievements

That's in the next update right? You could even add support for microtransactions that allow users to buy "speed". For example, you buy a 30 second speed boost and in real life you just drive faster.

You are going to hell

Genius. You've been awarded 20% equity.

SPEED MULTIPLIER $.99

DOUBLE YOUR REAL LIFE SPEED

BIG LEAGUE MULTIPLIER 2.99

TRIPLE YOUR REAL LIFE SPEED! AMAZE YOUR FRIENDS!

Speeding doesn't cause crashes (according to the US department of transportation) but differences in speed do.

Experience lack isn't what causes crashes. Teens 15-19 are more likely to crash into each other simply because they are fucking stupid already and don't pay attention already.

I don't need an app to tell me what to do.
10 over in all places except Virginia's 70mph zones

iirc many crashes involve speeding but are not caused by speeding which can make the stats seem to suggest speeding is the culprit. The rate of traffic is almost always above the speed limit. An accident while driving the rate of traffic would be tagged as "speeding" though in that situation not speeding would be more dangerous.

speed doesn't kill, rapid deceleration does

But if there is a red light up ahead and you speed up to 200km/h and get there 10 seconds faster, then you just sit waiting at those lights for 10 seconds longer. You don't really save any time but your app would indicate you have.

It's the differences. Although he rate may be 80, the person going 65 is the person causing the crash though legally they did not. When the Autobahn put a speed limit on it, there were like 10* more crashes.

Off subject. People say women drivers are safer due to less accidents but they also drive 50% less than men overall which is huge. Though there are more licensed women, you'd be hard pressed to find more women driving than men

That's true. Timed lights are a tough issue to solve since the app would 1) need to know you're on a road with stop lights 2) distinguish between stop lights and other traffic, pedestrians, or people pressing the "walk" button.

>Guns don't kill people bullets do

(You)

Good job op. Next make an app that calculate an app that calculates the amount of money saved on gas when you avoid braking or blow stop signs and red lights.

Lol. Rapid decellaration in cars isn't killing people, it them hitting their head on something.

Worked for Prudential selling life insurance years back. Guy came in bought a life insurance policy. Walked out of the building (one 8 inch step down to the parking lot) slipped and hit his head on the ground and died an hour later

kek. Actually though I would like to give estimates of increased fuel consumption costs. I may be able to find numbers from car manufacturers and come up with some decent estimates dynamically.

Many people on xda suggested integrating with the OBD car port to get this data.

>on xda

link the thread, I need to read this

It's xda so don't expect anything more than surface level technical discussion.

forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-speedr-v1-0-speeding-car-save-time-t3561318

Hey OP, seems like a pretty cool app. Just downloaded it and I'll try it out when I go out.

Thanks!

Neat. Will give this a crack.

>estimates of increased fuel consumption costs
In my experience, the less it's rated for to begin with, the lower a hit it will take. But if you have something that's supposed to get like 60MPG at 55mph you're going to get like 30 at 75MPH.

>Does speeding save time
If it's less than a mile or two, not enough to be noticeable unless you're doubling the speed limit. I did a cross country trip though and saved like 4 hours by going 10-15 over the whole way.

>apps-games

wew lad

only four hours? i can shave nearly that much going from boise to portland

You're sexy, and the next time I'm in San Fran for work I'd love to top you, sent you a linkedin message. That said, I realized speeding only saves you a significant amount of time if you always speed, and when you're late to work, a few minutes doesn't make a difference to most bosses.

I greatly doubt your car can go over 200MPH for extended periods.

maybe he flies?

better travel 250km/h and get by on the yellow

TECH TECH TECH

[ROM][CWM][AOSP][BBQ][WTF] NEXUS 5 SPEEDR 1.1.0 NIGHTLIES

Mmm, bunga bunga!

speeding is a guaranteed win-win
by speeding, you catch more green lights, meaning you spend less time idling and getting 0 MPG.

Also, only grannies go the speed limit on the freeway.
if you actually follow the speed limit, everyone will be speeding past you and merging back into your lane just to spite you.
Stay on the right if you wanna drive like a grandma.

Slow and steady and you won't fucking die

I can guarantee you 100% of all accidents are caused by public intoxication, texting, and teen drivers.

Just last week some fucking retard was going an estimated 100mph on a 40mph road and killed all 3 people in the car that was turning out of the ymca. He died as well, and his buddy is still in a coma. If you are going to speed, keep it to reasonable speeds on reasonable roads, don't be a goddamn idiot.

I saw this on XDA and I have concerns. If I'm murdered on the road by some Pajeet from XDA who is enlightened by his own speeding, I swear I will come back and haunt you.

You can't drive faster than radio waves

>I can guarantee you 100% of all accidents are caused by demographics I'm not a part of because I never drink at parties, I don't have any friends to text and I wasted my teenage years.
Sure, whatever. I believe you.