/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

Previous thread: If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What's the alternative for x?
alternativeto.net
linuxalt.com
Search for software by category:
linuxlinks.com/Software
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

News:
phoronix.com
webupd8.org
linuxjournal.com
lwn.net
Gaming news:
gamingonlinux.com
linuxgameconsortium.com

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: * Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine
(try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage)
$ man
$ info
$ --help
Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Learn the command line:
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl
p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

nsa.gov/what-we-do/research/selinux/
git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A while ago someone mentioned that on some (but not all) distros, apropos is a symlink to whatis.
I checked for myself, and on debian stable apropos is indeed symlinked to whatis.

However, I get different results from the 2 commands.
There are no extra options hidden in aliases, so what is this black magic?

yo, 888, can you tell me about a DE / distro / lookalike of windows?
it should literally work like windows - double click to run videos and shiet, etc. [ bonus points for having most useful software preinstalled like any linux distro]
i'm not into gaymen, so trying to move to linux.

Most GNU/Linux distros which come with a DE like GNOME, MATE, KDE all do this. Looks are easy customizeable too. For a beginner, I'd recommend any favor of *buntu.

Maybe the program checks how it was invoked (args[0]) and does different things depending on that

So I want to dual boot Windows 8.1 alongside Fedora and I want to make sure I've gotten this right. I have two HDDs, and I want to install Fedora on the one not containing Windows.

So first I would use Disk Management to make a new partition on the second HDD, since right now it's only one big partition. Then I'd make a bootable USB with Fedora on it, boot from the USB and when installing Fedora I just pick the partition that I previously created and I'm good to go? Anything else I should keep in mind? From my understanding I wouldn't lose have to lose anything on my second HDD when creating a new partition as well. Am I all set?

Yes, provided you don't fuck up and install Fedora on the wrong drive.

It wierd, apropos wget shows 3 results whatis shows one and it's literally just a link.

Is there anything concerning UEFI/BIOS or fast boot that I should worry about or look into?

Programs can check how they were invoked. For example, when bash was invoked as "sh", it enters a POSIX compatible mode and will run faster and without bash's extensions. Same happens with whatis and apropos.

No, you're installing it on a different drive. If you're feeling paranoid and have no backups, remove the Windows drive. You can put it back later after you installed Fedora.

Alright thanks.

Just enable Legacy mode and disable Secure boot. By default UEFI do not allow install you anything except win8+.
Btw, why Fedora?

From the little I read, Debian seemed to be more of a hassle to dual boot, and Fedora seems like it just werks. Will probably switch to something else after a while, but I've been stuck in distrolimbo long enough. Any reason for me not to use Fedora or were you just asking out of curiosity?

>avatarfagging

>Any reason for me not to use Fedora or were you just asking out of curiosity?
Just curiosity, nevermind. As i know, Fedora has some diffculties with installing proprietary drivers.
Maybe you try out OpenSUSE? It's little bit friendly than Fedora and also .rpm based.

how do I disable one-click opening on dolphin in openSuse?

Linux is the only cure against the NSA. With Linux, we will destroy those shape shifting kikes.

GNU/Linux*

The NSA has been psychologically tormenting me to use windows for too long. Glad I'm free and am on linux now.

Go to mouse settings and pick "double-click opening" option. If it's KDE, ofc.

What distro are you using bud?

s/Linux/Free Software/g

The kernel (and it's developer Linus Torvalds) isn't freedom or security focusses.

Debian for now, I'm just waiting for denuvo to come out. I've wasted too much time with ricer distros like arch linux, spending more time ricing it than actually using it so I just said fuck it and just slapped Debian on it and called it a day.

where's mouse settings in OpenSUSE I can only find keyboard layout stuff

nsa.gov/what-we-do/research/selinux/

I guess you meant Devuan?
Denuvo is a broken DRM shitware.

Right, that's what I meant. I always get those two mixed up because similar spelling. Anyways, devuan looks promising and probably will be a success.

>denuvo
nice divide and conquer Sup Forumseddit

tl;dr?
nsa has got their reptilian dicks inside linux kernel as well?

selinux, they develop it

Thanks, didn't consider that possibility.

As says though, it is kinda strange they don't bother to document any of these subtleties.

>selinux
so, we don't use selinux then.

wtf even is selinux? a proprietary kernel?

a simple search in your preffered search engine would give you all the answer you need

furthermore I have no clue why would you insist on proclaiming Linux as the ultimate road to freedom when you have no clue whatsoever what selinux is, even despite the fact that the patchset and it's origins have never been a secret?

Do you know that corporations like intel and redhat have been responsible for huge chunks of code added to the linux kernel for the last 2 decades?

I meant to say devuan. I hate denuvo and hope it dies. Those dumbfucks at the NSA think they can control me, they can blow it out their nigger ass.

>second fresh install of ubuntu 16.04 on a new ssd
>on shutdown i get a "[TTM] buffer eviction failed" and it just does nothing
>after couple minutes it says "task kworker/1:0:11979 blocked for more than 120 seconds" and how to disable this message
>doing the command only turns off the blocked message
>googling only brings up this in a vm arch install and one unanswered ubuntu one
what the fuck is going on?

install Source Mage GNU/Linux

>insist on proclaiming Linux as the ultimate road to freedom
everyone here on Sup Forums says so.

>Do you know that corporations like intel and redhat have been responsible for huge chunks of code added to the linux kernel for the last 2 decades?
i knew, but i just think since it's all open source, everyone had checked out the code for any suspicious info-stealing codes or backdoors.

SElinux is NSA and they want to damage the reputation of Linux so everyone will use windows again.

Are you kidding me, huh?
System settings -> Hardware subcategory -> Input Devices -> Mouse -> Double-click option.

i don't have system settings I have yast

im currently using debian 8.7 and keep on having to mount my HDD each time i boot the system. Is there a way of having it automatically mount?

cinnamon also runs really slowly with youtube videos lagging. it says that its running in the rendering mode. ive got AMD Radeon R7 Graphics integrated graphics if that helps

Check your fstab.

nevermind problem solved

The expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel.”

Some distros come with a program that lets you run other programs like how you do on windows with run. How can I do that same function on the terminal? If I do [program] & it will run it in the background, but I can only run one at a time.

>I can only run one at a time.
Terminal emulators has tabs, u know.

I'm aware of tabs, but I want to know if I can do this in the terminal that other distros have a dedicated program for.

Is it possible to make Openbox undecorate only maximized windows?

I looked through the documentation and there are some conditional tests possible, but I don't know how to apply it to the tag.

Don't know what you're talking about. I can do multiple "program &" in a row and they all start up.

that was the last drop that made me drop openbox in favor of i3

if I do program & on two seperate lines, the first one gets closed and the new one starts up.

Maybe the program you're starting doesn't support multiple running instances at the same time? Pic related, it works for me.

I'm also seriously considering switching now because this would be a slight improvement comfort wise.

It worked doing multiple lines in a different terminal. Is it possible to have the programs stay in the background after I close the terminal?

Yes, look it up in your favourite search engine how to do it.
You are most likely approaching the problem wrongly. Just get one of those small launcher programs, like dmenu, and use them.

Why are suckless faggots massive cocksuckers?
>Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions. There are some distributions that provide binary packages though.

>Yes, look it up in your favourite search engine how to do it.
guess why this thread has "friendly" in it

Nah, it's fine. I don't think what I'm aiming to do is possible through terminal. I wanted to use the terminal as an application launcher, but I think it would be easier if I just used a dedicated one instead.

gui() { ("${@:?}" & disown &>/dev/null); }

Just run $ gui gnome-calculator

- no output
- no job nofifications
- doesn't recieve HUP signals (will stay alive after closing the terminal emulator)

>faggots massive cocksuckers?
Elaborate

Sorry, mistake.
gui() { ("${@:?}" &>/dev/null & disown); }

Literally one of their reasons why they use dwm is because nobody else uses it so they can be unique snowflakes. They're massive hipster faggots who REEEEE whenever their software gets a userbase over 10.

I'm installing arch and not gentoo because I'm not an actual autist.

>tfw waiting for compile to complete

But the software page has a huge DOWNLOAD button, so what the fuck is your problem?
it's not like they keep teasing you how great dwm is and then put a download page that says "ask for source at #elitistcocksucking"

>Literally one of their reasons why they use dwm is because nobody else uses it so they can be unique snowflakes.
The motivation behind suckless.org and their products is on the home page.

So again, mi amigo, explain what the problem is.

Why do people care so much about what others thing about their distro?
The distro must fit your needs, not others needs.

These guys are pure autism. They sperg on about minimalism and hate anything that's even remotely modern. That's why they camp out in their IRCs on their plan 9 or OpenBSD while pretending they really know computers before they later kill themselves.

why would you ship a binary when the point of these tools is customizing the source?

Why should anyone do the customization through compiling it when any sane program will have a text file to edit?

>These guys are pure autism.
And? Can you explain why does it bother you so much?
It's not like you're somehow forced to interact with them or use their software aren't you?

So why are you complaining.
Elaborate.

these programs aren't made for people who prefer config files
they are made for people who like the flexibility of editing the program directly

whats a good tiling manager for someone who has never used one before? the most popular seem to be i3 and awesome

i3 for sure.
It's configuration files are plaintext with bash-like syntax.

So you don't even have to know a programming language

>So you don't even have to know a programming language
not that it would be a problem, but thanks ill go with that

Is there a way to minimize firefox usage of RAM?
It's currently taking about 2 GB.
I'm already using XFCE to save resources as much as I can, and I have 4GB of swap and that's already being used.

No one is going to spoonfeed you.

It's using your RAM so it can function faster and cache things. What are you going to do with your unused RAM? Leave it unused so you can look cool in your screefetch threads? Do you realize that your RAM is there to be used?

fuck off rudefag

Try restarting with addons disabled or refresh button.
>about:support

jesus christ help me g
what do you call this dialog thing that pops up when you mount drives or shut down in kde?
ive been having problems with this piece of shit lately, whenever i am ALMOST done customizing my desktop i get this fucking problem where i cant mount drives or log off or shut down because the dialog prompt that SHOULD come oout does not
god dammit ive probably reinstalled everything like 10 times now, and EVERY FUCKING TIME i almost done setting up this fucking problem comes up help me please, i have scoured all forums and they give different shit everytime.

You do have a point there but the irony is funny.

I'm complaining about RAM being used needlessly by FF.
I'm not complaining about cached processes, those aren't even taking 500 MB.
Why would I need an image opened from 4 hours a go??
>about:memory
What does this do?

RAMBack

Thinking of completely getting rid of Windows 10 and going balls deep into Ubuntu, I don't know much about Linux, I don't know any commands, but I'm eager to learn all I need.
Should I go for it, or am I gonna get buttfucked?

You're gonna get buttfucked sooner or later.
To use Linux on your desktop is to accept it's shortcomings and learn it's intricacies.

Dualboot first. After a while you'll realize you no longer happen to boot Windows for anything.

GNU/Linux*

s-someone

Can somebody explain to me what is the difference between regular access and root access?

Android and Linux

so i bit the bullet and reinstalled all packages with kde on it, and it actually worked the absolute madman. this was what i was talking about for reference in case someone with the same problem comes here.

what do you mean by "difference"?
root has access to everything.

Access to what m8?

Troll attempt or mentaly retarded?

edit /etc/fstab. add a line for that device if there isn't one and put user in the options field.

If I were to use a DE on Arch, let's say Xfce, what benefit would this provide over just using Xubuntu (which I have on my laptop)? Are the only real differences the package manager and having a more recent kernel?

Trying to understand things.

Haven't tried xfc on Arch, but KDE, Gnome and other window managers and DEs I have tried were very nice out of the box. The archwiki has very good guides on customising and getting consistent themes across different combos of DEs ..

If a user already has or can take ownership of something, then using root will make no difference.

So yes, I wanted to know what they want to access.

the benefit of fun while fixing your system after running pacman

>git.mel.vin/melvin/scripts/tree/master/qemu
Had anyone tried this? Trying to set up a PCI-passthrough with Arch running a Windows guest. The idea of switching between Intel iGPU and my graphics card just by logging out of X and back in seems appealing, so I could just use my dGPU for both OS's, instead of permanently blacklisting my GPU. Wanted to hear if anyone else had tried it.

You'll learn how to fix xorg.conf after pacman -syu