What does Sup Forums think of Wayland? How is it compared to X?

What does Sup Forums think of Wayland? How is it compared to X?

Wayland fixes shit like screen tearing but has the controversial security features like no windows can view the contents of other windows which makes screenshot software not work without using root

I prefer Yutani.

Wayland compositors comes with a screenshot / screen recording tool for that purpose.

It's great. I can finally have a full screen video playing on one monitor while manipulating windows on another without screen tearing. The main downside is that you're basically stuck with GNOME3 if you want to use it. Even the latest KDE which has "improved support" completely shits itself under wayland, so it seems like it has a ways to go.

Exactly. Basically forced to use theirs instead of one of your choice

source

KDE kinda runs like shit on it.

its wayland, not source
source is a game engine

can you use something like awesome or i3 on wayland?

pretty sure he meant the source for the picture
You can use i3 with wayland by using sway, not sure about awesome though.

It fixed all my tearing issues and it feels very smooth and responsive. Only problem I have with it is that there is no xrandr equivalent for turning off and on monitors from the command line, which I did under X for my GPU passthrough setup.

>not sure about awesome though.
Apparentely there's not, bummer I feel really comfy on awesome now

FUCKING FURFAGS GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD GOD FUCKING DAMN

Any noticeable bugs in wayland+sway? I may try it soon but I really don't want to break stupid stuff for no reason

Thats' a man isn't it.

>wayland has things like security built in, so people won't use it until it becomes as shitty with security as X

timely post OP

I was just trying to figure out the least painful way to try it.

mir doesn't suck nearly as much as people grief ubuntu over but my understanding is that it's an early wayland fork so I wanted to try the other... tine?

but I was reading that i3 doesn't work with it so sway is the best choice.

can anyone ELI5 it for me? i just googled it but i'm too dumb to understand what Wayland is, exactly

>Security is bad because I need special software to take a screenshot of my anime desktop when I can just press prntscreen

well Sup Forums can correct me and teach me something but my understanding is:

you have a compositor which actually draws stuff to the screen.

Think X11, X.org, wayland, mir(ubuntu fork of wayland).

On top of that you have a desktopmanager / logon manager that keeps track of users and sessions.
think gdm, kdm, other parts of X

then once you have a graphical session you have a window manager that keeps track of all the open windows,
think metacity, mutter, cinnamon, plasma, compiz, i3 (I think)

so the idea with wayland is that it's supposed to be like part windows manager and part desktop manager and clear out the accumulated crap from X, wayland is written by people who spent roughly a decade on X.

Mir for ubuntu unity was supposed to be wayland but they forked it.

with the recent improvements in mesa and using DRI2, multiple monitors, multitudes on input devices, etc X is actually becoming an ever expanding adhoc design issue and the only thing lost by moving to wayland is remote X server functionality.

I would love to see a history/component/feature chart for this stuff. Since I3 I feel like I don't really "get it" and every different distro has it's own combination they seem to favor.

Gamer keyboards don't have that key.

not ELI5, but pretty close anyways. i still have no idea what the fuck it is but thank you for the effort

You could literally modify any compositor to give unrestricted privilege to view any window's contents from any arbitrary program via IPC if you really wanted to.
However, privilege separation is one of the best methods of ensuring security.

sorry I leaned toward "complete" rather than "simple" - one more try:

X11 compositor is a 30 year old way of drawing stuff on a screen

X is hard to understand and support for programmers

Wayland is an attempt to replace X with something better

No, you gtfo