How do we solve the problem with industrial stuff relying on old technology?

How do we solve the problem with industrial stuff relying on old technology?

Image related might be a bad example, but Windows CE based shit is certainly used in real factories.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nT-TGvYOBpI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

open source and open hardware

basically its a non issue because it's set and forget. you're not constantly updating anything on that software. its not like anything needs to be added at any point so if it works why fuck with it,

machines fail from mechanical or sensor errors.

at least this is what i saw from the two factories i worked at.

It's C O M F Y
O
M
F
Y

I feel like industrial stuff is the only thing that hasn't been ruined

What problem?

If it works, why replace it?

While they are made to last, finding a suitable replacement when it finally shit itself might become a challenge.

The problem is people want them connected to the network, like to grab cnc files, and report back.

Currently at my job they're all exposed to the entire network, I'd like to get them vlanned off and isolated as much as possible but good luck getting that done while minimizing downtime

>How do we solve the problem with industrial stuff relying on old technology?
Open source PLC. Who am I kidding, factories need someone to be accountable for hardware/software fuckups so industrial open sores will never be a thing.

some companies still use unix and fortran

Lots of banks still use COBOL

stop using nonfree, undocumented hardware that no one but he manufacturer can work with that will be unsupported in the next 3-5 years.

>tfw bank charges you for debit purchases since they have to pay for mainframe time to run their transfer code

jesus fucking christ.

Honestly, there needs to be a 3 letter government agency that deals with technology and security issues. There's no market incentive for companies to release secure software, because consumers refuse to pay the premium except in select industries. This worked fine until now, but what happens when compromised IOT devices start being able to take down large web sites? It's a real threat.

Another possibility is right to service your own software legislation. A company can keep their software closed source for a certain period while it's being actively maintained, but after a period of time where no updates are released the software would be required to be released open source.

That way, you either adopt an industry standard open source OS designed for your industry that your company contributes to, or you allow device owners to patch the devices themselves by releasing code.

and you think anyone is held accountable for insecure software right now?

nonfree or FOSS?

Good talk on this subject: youtube.com/watch?v=nT-TGvYOBpI

Why would businesses fix things that aren't broke?

Why don't companies just make them not locked down, open source, and easily upgradable :^)

>insecure
Broham, as long as parts are being produced and shipments aren't being delayed nobody fucking cares. If something bad happens because of bad security the corporation just cries to the FBI and big daddy fixes everything.

possible policy suggestions:

* Mandatory reporting of cybersecurity failures
* Software manufacturers should be able to be held liable for defects in their software such as exploits, bugs, and backdoors. This mirrors liability for damages such as a construction company designing a poorly built house or car.
* Mandated resiliency for embedded infrastructure
* Enforce open sourcing of abandoned code bases: similarly to how abandoned cars can be claimed, abandoned bank accounts are seized by the state, and contents of abandoned storage lockers are auctioned off

>We need more government
[Free helicopter rides intensify]

The more complex, the more prone to failure it becomes, that's why factories use old but TESTED hardware/software, you may need a decade to refine a process to perfection.

Why you arent being sincere?
You think its a problem because they use dont free software and you want more drones on your circlejerk.

My company still uses Filemaker for our DB software. Shit was built in the fucking 80's. It's incompatible with anything modern and it's giving us fits when trying to upgrade to other tech (barcoding, etc) but the owner is so invested in it he won't dump it. Sucks.

>How do we solve the problem with industrial stuff relying on old technology?
We don't, it isn't a problem.

If the right to repair bill goes through there should be no reason why the machine owner can't hire a programmer to write new software for the machine.