Last thread: Emu edition

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/aliases.html
amazon.com/gp/product/B004RJ8EKI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>clearly a duck
Well we cant all be avian experts

Haha I didn't even notice the duck in the back.

can i ask stupid questions in this thread

someone got into my ebay and ordered some cheetos to my house
would it be a bad idea to open the package and eat them? i got a refund

yes but if you want it answered you have to post a picture of an emu

That's a cute emu

if the seller doesn't want them back then it doesn't matter what you do with them

were do i get stock windows isos?

official microsoft website works
anyone can download 8 and 10 but to download the 7 iso you need a product key IIRC

excellent

There was an user who asked for an affordable dedicated media player or if he should recycle his old android.

>recycle android
chances are, you have a recent phone I take it? If you're going to spend money on anything for listening to music then buy jetAudio Plus, If you have good headphones then this app has an add-on that remasters all of the music on your phone or SD card but you gotta buy it and it fucking works.

What is USB-C and why do I want it?

I think he was asking for a media player app to USE on his recycled android user

why do a lot of engineering focused colleges use chalkboards?

i was recently at georgia tech and noticed most of their lecture halls had chalkboards, and i know MIT uses them based on their opencourseware videos

24 pins, can put it in either direction, it's far faster, etc. this will become the norm. don't resist positive change. do you still have a token ring ethernet? didn't think so.

Is there a game in which I can be a pirate/space pirate who keeps and uses ships after capturing them instead of just increasing some integers and baleeting the ships?

>7
mirror.corenoc.de/digitalrivercontent.net/

>8/10
Microsoft.com

thanks. thats the site i was looking for.

i got a moto z which has a usb c connector

all my current cords are micro USB

should i just buy an adapter from micro USB to USB c or get an actual usb c to usb A cable?

As a CS student, how important is it to actively work on large-scale projects that aren't related to coursework? Is there any hope for me if I just kinda... don't do that?

It'll work but you wont get usb 3.1 speeds if that matters to you.

If you don't enjoy doing it, why are you going to school to learn to do it full time? Do you intend to give up comfy dev career to be a miserable IT Hufflepuff who can never fully clock out?

I enjoy coding quite a bit, but I have no idea where to start when it comes to developing large programs on my own. I do shit from project euler, rosetta code, and pic related, but that's all small stuff.

How do you tell if a HDD has failed in a raid 5 setup?

Does it tell you?

Do you have to check on occasion?

>How do you tell if a HDD has failed in a raid 5 setup?

It will be marked as failed, and your array will be degraded.

>Does it tell you?

Yes, if you configured it to do so. How to do so varies depending on whether you're using software raid, fake raid, or hw raid.

>Do you have to check on occasion?

If you didn't configure it to do so.

a few questions
1. My mid-ATX case has two top 120mm fans that are loud as fuck. I'd like to swap them out for 140mm fans and also swap out my Hyper 212 Evo for a 280mm AIO for aesthetics. Worth it?

2. Should I get a 32" 4K 120hz TV to use as a display for $300, 12.3ms response time. OR a 1440p 75hz monitor with a 1ms response time? I'm not an esports gamer, but I do have a gtx1080.

3. What is some good bitcoin mining software? My landlord includes electric in the rent, so it would just be more for a hobby.

Want do you want to work with?
If you want to be a software developer then yeah, working on side-projects that serve real life purpose is a huge plus. If you finish college without ever working on any projects of your own, or contributing to existing open source projects, your employers will see you as nothing more than a bookworm fresh out of college. Not very useful for a company.

And since you ask, consider whether you really like computer science. If you're not working on any projects, it's as if you don't really enjoy the field and you just picked it because "you're good with computers" (i.e. you did nothing but stay in front of a computer all your life). You may want to switch majors... you don't really want to realize that the job bores you to death after finishing college. Software development is not at all like solving mini math/programming challenges from Project Euler.

What's the best program to write a simple GUI program/desktop widget for Windows 7?

I have no idea what else I would do at this point. I'm a junior, it's too late to switch. But I do genuinely enjoy CS.

How do you name your drives? pic related

im not a faggot so i dont

>I'm not a faggot
>linux mint

i main apricity (arch) but sometimes you need a ubuntu distro because shit dont always like arch

Is it possible that my internet upload speed goes to zero while the upload stays normal? I feel that happens sometimes when I'm playing Dota. I can see people moving and hear their mics, but my clicks do not respond.

I'm new to arch linux can someone help me with installing discord? I don't know what I'm doing wrong here I followed it for the most part.

>upload speed goes to zero while the upload stays normal

when it asks to edit the pkgbuild say yes and then press enter when it asks what to edit with. you shouldnt have to do anything else

I must be doing something wrong.

>sda
>sdb
>sdc
>sdd
>sd....

Sorry, I meant the UPLOAD goes zero and DOWNLOAD stays normal

Demon names because edge

if I have high bitrate x264 files, is it worth trying to re-encode to HEVC to try and cut file size to about half, or will the image quality loss be too extreme?

recent x265 rips make me optimistic, but of course those are encoded from source.

I just use the drive letters, but I switch them around. So my C drive is named "G", etc.

in conky I use
execi 1 cat /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/device/fan1_input
to display my CPU fan speed but when I reboot it sometimes changes the hwmon# input and I must edit that line to find it again.
I tried to do something like find -name "fan1_input" -exec cat {} \; but that doesn't work

x265 is insane. I say try it with a file and review the quality. The file size reduction is worth it 100%

What's it called when you shorten a long command that you frequently use into a custom command and how do you do it? For example I want to be able to call "longcommand [-option] [input]" to just "customcommand [input]"

alias
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/aliases.html

bump

Hello, is this the thread for stupid questions ?

Can be easier to photograph/video nicely due to lack of "hotspots" from reflections of lights. Some people just prefer the look. Whiteboards do have their advantages though, erase more cleanly, less dust.

amazon.com/gp/product/B004RJ8EKI/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

How do I find a PSU that won't start making an obnoxious squeaking noise with its fan in 3 years?

jetAudio is a media player for android. not sure how that wasn't implied in my post.

You can't just buy the cheapest of these fuckers and overclock it to be the same speed as the $750 one, right?

Don't buy shitty ones from brands like sfx
Corsair, Evga, some industrial brand

Did some reading after posting this. Will attempt replacing the fan with a 120mm case stock fan and see if that works. Either way, I'll take your advice tomorrow or later.

Nice

Got a co-worker who flaunts his v-moda earbuds and headphones. are they actually good or is this another "I like beats because they're cool!" thing?

Any idea how to fix this error with yaourt?

is madVR snake oil?

Losing a war...

dumb question: do you actually have vim installed?

nope, it's for videophiles however, but it doesn't hurt to use it even if you aren't autistic about your videos

can you install Windows 10 without a product key on a new computer?

i think so

Are IDE's good for learning a new language or should I just compile my code and execute it and wish it "works"?

never used linux before, but decided it's time. is fedora a good noob friendly option?

try mint

jetbrains ide's are the best, but i recommend just a text editor and the cli

Are all wireless keyboards inherently unsafe?
I have a wireless Logitech keyboard that I rather like because it's small. I typically use it on my PS3 to send messages but I was wondering if it's a bad idea to use it on my PC as well.

Is there a way to hide the existence of an app on my phone? Like, just straight up you would have no way of finding it if you didn't already know it was there? I'm crowdfunding a buttplug with an app.

is it worth it to upgrade RAM on my laptop if i primarily use it for schoolwork, chinese cartoons and shitposting?

max capacity is 12gb, it has 4gb integrated with a 2gb stick installed. i have a spare 4gb stick that would fit, but i could drop the $50 on an 8gb stick for MAXIMUM POWER

Depends on how much disposable income you have but desu, for the intended purpose it sounds to me like you'd be better off spending those 50 bucks on something else.

"No."

I got a brain strainer for you all.

What is "Python"?

Noob friendly = Ubuntu
DE isn't critical

>Have Gentoo Live on a usb key
>Everything is fine except for one thing
>It can't save any new user or modification to the default user account
>even when I update the root password
what can I do?

doesn't that get confusing?

I am Could you please elaborate at least a little bit?

Are there any actual decent phone cases out for the chink phone OPPO R9, Sup Forums? All I can seem to find are dirt cheap ones on Ebay or Amazon which I don't trust at all.

Will any device have trouble reading m3u playlists if the files have different capitalisation?

Foobar doesn't have any problems with it.

I'm getting TDR errors frequently when using my 1070 laptop. Something like a second into Unigine valley. However, it seems to be more and more stable when I run it repeatedly.

I'm guessing it's either Windows 10 being a shit or the GPU is dying.

If it's the latter, how do you ship it to the reseller?

Are there any downsides to using DVI over HDMI for a monitor?

DVI is better than HDMI

i'm trying to start learning c and the first chapter of k&r seems a little hard to follow
but apparently i'm supposed to go constantly go back to the first chapter as i read/program stuff?
how do i go about this? do i need to understand everything in the first chapter before i move on or what?

OS dependent.

Windows doesn't care about caps, so it works in shitbar. unix-like systems have case-sensitive filename so under them you will have problems if the case doesn't match.

How about android phones?

Good question. They are Linux systems using ext4 these days, so unless dalvik/android runtime provides case-insensitive fs access they too won't be able to open files if case doesn't match.

Any droid developer can confirm?

I'm doing a test now to see how it handles it.

Is Myspace page editing text basically like html?

i remember typing a href a lot

Capitalisation doesn't matter

If the .m3u playlist points to
C:\SONG.mp3
and you have
C:\song.mp3
It will still work

Android CM12.1 - Black player

For video editing/production is photoshop, audacity and premiere a good enough base? I imagine illustrator and/or after effects would be necessary but vegas, final cut, camstasia are all just different brands for the same shit right?

wikipedia says fireworks is discontinued unless people still use it?

Yes, there's so much malware and other exploits for wireless keyboards floating around.

I've given my email out to a fuckload of websites, mostly when I was young and stupid and Gmail had just come out. How do i get off the list? I get all manner of spam from prince Rakesh asking me about his inheritance to scammers saying I have packages to collect. It mostly stays in my spam folder but triggers my autism. Is there a way to unsubscribe from this shit or is it too late?

You don't. Make a new email.

Add the emails to your block list.

picture related, how do I change temporarily to bash without each time removing those lines from .bashrc? just typing bash takes me back to zsh

So I want my network switch to tunnel through a vpn so I need a two router setup one using a vpn but the non vpn one needs to be the WAP so wireless devices don't use the vpn only wired devices do, can this be achieved with openVPN, superhub modem-router-WAP, virgin media as the ISP and a linksys WRT3200ACM-UK as the VPN router?

also vpn routers running dd-wrt

How do I make my linux partition bootable again after making the windows the boot partition? I tried GParted but it didn't work.