Why would anyone use a console when a computer gives better performance and graphics and you could just plug in a...

Why would anyone use a console when a computer gives better performance and graphics and you could just plug in a controller?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0
imgur.com/a/2CWNG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why do you buy smoothies from the store when it's much better and cheaper to make them yourself?

Why are current generation consoles more powerful than most gaming PCs out there?

[citation needed][dubious - discuss]
The hardware is pretty rubbish, but modern games run on them anyways because writing for a console lets your write much closer to the metal

B T F O

because niggers, spics and other retards

The point Im trying to make here is that market is... well, it's kinda unpredictable. PCs are clearly better, but most people don't care, including the gaming PC users themselves.

If you think this is bad, then just read this source

nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

For example, do you know why the hamburger failed despite being better, bigger and cheaper than its rival? Because the buyers thought 1/3 was less than 1/4.

>lets your write much closer to the metal
We have low level graphics APIs too now :^)

Steam confirmed this.

I'm not saying consoles are better. The PC is clearly superior, but most people do not even bother building them. Which is why companies such as Sony and Microsoft decided to make it more simple by making consoles.

let me know when PC can play Bloodborne :^)

I prefer to own physical media for the games I buy.

If you play online, you can be assured of hardware parity with the opposition.

>buying outdated trash hardware with $60 games and paid online

You need to be a manchild or a retard, mostly.

Fucking children.

Do tell me how to play DOAX3 on a PC
>Inb4 "S-sexy beach is just as good, who needs the greatest softcore game of all time?"

Because consoles have better exclusives.

Good. Now say this same thing to the PC gamers.

>buying a console and paying $60 a year is such bullshit. Lol, these console players are so retarded! Wow, how can they be so stupid.
>buying a PC which is weaker than consoles and waste hundreds of dollars even on a single silly hat DLC... that's fine. Nothing retarded about that.

Do you honestly don't know the amount of money PC users waste on pathetic cosmetics? Hint: this is why Valve will never release Half Life 3.

Overtime there's actually been less and less advantage of PC gaming in terms of price point and performance.

Let's be honest you're not getting PC Master race performance set of parts on a $300 to $400 budget.

You'd have to shop for the parts probably when they're on sale, and then you only have a conventional desktop PC set-up.

Modern-day consoles like the Xbox and PlayStation are now all in all media devices meant for the living room with large televisions that people use for Netflix and other things as well as casually playing some games.

Are you still technically getting a better deal with PCs. Yes.

You're also getting a better deal only making your own coffee that is bought in bulk and using some ten to Fifteen dollar coffee machine you bought at Walmart. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts still exist though.

You're getting a better deal going to borderline ghetto stores where the prices are heavily marked down due to the effects of white flight in the neighborhood and you can get extremely cheap beer ( like less than $5 for a six-pack of Guinness) and rice by the 20 pound bag and discount salmon.

People still drink at bars and go to sushi restaurants though.

Let me know when Project Diva comes to the PC.

This is what console-cucks believe,
I know they just want to gaem but do they have to act like absolute dumbasses?

What's so dumb about these 2 posts?

First one is making an analogy BTFO'd by:
And the second post just isn't true (hardware-wise for all consoles atm).
I will give credit to the PS4 Pro for its Rx-460/70 like GPU that is sadly bottlenecked by its bad cpu.

People play their games on a PS4 or Xbox One, do their office work/precise web browsing on their laptop and the rest is all done on their smartphone. The barrier of entry is lower and consoles double as set top boxes + DVD/bluray players these days as well.

There's no need for a tower anymore if you don't intend on gaming on it.

Also if you play with a controller online on PC you're gonna get destroyed every match while it's standard input on consoles.

Not OP but I see laptops as simple-task based machines, not actual work-force type.
Your last controller-argument is absolute horseshit, my controller plays the same if not better than my previous PS4.
PC is for those that seek value and performance that will last long and be more open-sourced to most things (games,programs, etc...).

>First one is making an analogy BTFO'd by:
And what's wrong with it?

Building a PC more powerful than the consoles is simple, but most people do not even bother.

>And the second post just isn't true (hardware-wise for all consoles atm).
It was true in 2013/14. Now that the PS4 Pro is out and with the Xbox Scorpio coming out soon, it will be true once again.

>Also if you play with a controller online on PC you're gonna get destroyed every match

Except in games such as Dark Souls. Perhaps sport games as well, but I don't play them.

>Not OP but I see laptops as simple-task based machines, not actual work-force type.

Which is ridiculous, modern laptops pack more than enough power to drive multiple monitors and could handle everything the average person throws at them. Feelings have nothing to do with it.

>my controller plays the same if not better than my previous PS4.

I talking about facing mouse/keyboard users with dual thumbsticks. MK will come out on top every match.

>I talking about facing mouse/keyboard users with dual thumbsticks. MK will come out on top every match.

With first/third person shooters and RTS, I definitely agree.

>consoles don't even have nethack
wtf

There are so many console exclusive games.

Because most devs don’t bother to optimize for pc hardware.

Crytek did.

Most gamers didn't care. And now, the company is close to bankruptcy.

I don't even understand their engine model

How do people "Pay what they want"

>softcore

Pfff, I can just play something by Illusion instead.

>muh handful exclusives
>you need to be a manchild
I already addressed that

Except you are talking about a certain group of retarded PC users. You don't have to waste your money DLCs whereas you have to pay $60 per game unless you have a lot of disposable time and want to hunt 2. hand gaymez. Buying a gimped computer that you do anything other than play gaymez with is simply retarded.

Thank you for all your support. I will now be selling my computer, buying a console and DOAX3. Good Night.

>Except you are talking about a certain group of retarded PC users. You don't have to waste your money DLCs whereas you have to pay $60 per game unless you have a lot of disposable time and want to hunt 2. hand gaymez.

Your logic:
>being forced to pay $60 a year is stupid
>paying (read: being manipulated into paying) hundreds of dollars on a single cosmetic item is not stupid

And I'm not just taking about "a certain group of retarded PC users." The majority of PC gaming revenue comes from cosmetic items. There are also plenty of Mobile Master Race users who waste money on what should be free.

Payed DLCs are stupid and so is anything pay2win.

And unfortunately, they are the present and the future of gaming

>computer gives better performance and graphics

A computer gives better graphics. Performance is another issue.

Consoles are convenient. Consoles are standard. Consoles get out of the way.

Playing a console game
>download game
>download patches
>play

Playing a PC game
>download game
>download patches
>run the game
>first config screen: choose some settings that you think are okay
>watching the opening
>some frame skips
>distracted by frame skips
>gameplay begins
>exit
>go into menu and change settings
>go back into gameplay
>run around, FPS is okay but now graphics don't suit you
>open in-game menu
>tweak settings again
>still not satisfied
>exit game
>go on internet
>look up optimization guides
>read for 1 hour
>go into nvidia or amd control panel
>change settings
>start game back up
>start file
>run around in game world
>maybe some improvement maybe not
>decide some settings are good enough
>start playing the game
>30 minutes later open in-game menu and screw around with the settings again
>never be comfy

later
>playing the game
>small graphical glitch pops up
>annoying
>go online look for a fix
>download it
>it doesn't work on your GPU
>have to read some other tutorials to get it to work
>get it working
>it screws up performance
>tweak everything again
>playing game with afterburner running with FPS counter in the corner
>always distracted from the actual game
>always trying to squeeze a little bit more peformance

>console owning friends come over
>"wow those are really graphics!"
>"oh but it looks like you have a few frame drops there. I just play on console so I don't have to worry about that stuff"
>welllllll i'd better get going, see you again in six months

>want to play games with your friend
>game doesn't support cross-platform play

>go on Sup Forums instead of playing games because it's too much of a hassle and PC doesn't actually have that many games you'd want to play you haven't already played if you're over the age of 25

Because you need to use the worst OS possible to play most good games.
Until everything is supported by Linux i'll still mostly use consoles

you sound like someone with shitty hardware who torrents and free loads games frequently

you forgot that people on console actually pay for their games and thus expect them to work

same thing happens on Steam where you actually get your money back when it doesnt work lol

stay poor trash can but dont come here and make up shit because you download on piratebay all day and try to get around Denuvo

>frame skips I haven't read anything more retarded

>heavy implication that pirated games have non-trivial performance differences from non-pirated

how fucking stupid can you get? and I don't even pirate you ultra-retard

You are... mostly correct. But I still recommend the PC because it's superior. At the beginning it's a real struggle. When you ask for help, other neckbeards either laugh at you or you get something like "Christ, this was asked already, dumbass. Locking thread!" But over time, it becomes natural and simple to use as consoles.

Consoles do have plenty of disadvantages, and you know it.

What's so great about Linux, user?

Frame skip is just an old fashioned term for frame drop that comes from when games had a specific frame rate they were supposed to run at. I'll allow it.

I always buy last gen consoles, so everything is dirt cheap and just works. Plus, I don't ever have to use windows.

If you're shooting for a particular frame rate then going below that number can accurately be called a frame skip, but really it was just me slipping back into emulator speak

>30fps 720-1080 vs 45-144fps 1440-4k
>better performance

okay
seriously though, Sup Forums at night of civilized world is terrible
it's so easy to tell when americans wake up

>Better exclusives like Transistor and Civilization and Cities Skylines and Project CARS and infinite indie games

>PC having exclusive access to a superior input system is a downside to PC

You can even build a computer that is the same size as a console.

imgur.com/a/2CWNG

But realistically, it's hard to justify the price premium.

>not buying a PC so you could just emulate old consoles.

Because a lot of people love to play WrastleMania 201X or UFC Undisputed 20XX

A lot of people like the convenience of just going to GameStop or Walmart and buying a console. With computers, you have to do research, maintain knowledge of system specs, know when to upgrade, track CPU brands, their pros and cons, etc. At the end of the day, not everyone is an enthusiast, and some people just want to:

1) Go to store, buy console
2) Go home, connect
3) Insert disk or download, play.

You can argue about using a Personal Computer as a game console by connecting it to a TV, but the user has to learn, and some people would simply rather play their games.

t. nongamer who knows people who play games.

can a top of the line computer run yakuza 0 or nioh?

why would your average cod normie buy a PC when they can just spend a few hundred bucks on a PS4 and not have to worry about building it?

To play all the japanese exclusive games. Now fuck off my Japanese cartoon website.

The thing is, with a properly set up computer and something like Steam, it's really no hassle at all.

Then again, I'm talking as someone who is an "enthusiast", but it's really something a 14 year old can pull off with ease. I'm not trying to bolster myself. It really is that simple.

Piracy on a console means modding my system and downloading an ISO from a site which can be checked for CRC consistency. When I run it on my console there is (practically) no risk of my personal data being compromised or stolen. I've never heard of a PlayStation or an Xbox getting a virus.

Piracy on a PC means downloading a cracked game and installing who-knows-what on my computer with my personal data included on it. It's pretty common for malware to spread through PC game piracy.

I'll stick with consoles for this reason.

The undisputed master race setup is to have a gaming PC and a Nintendo console. Pretty much anything worth playing on the PS4 or XBox One is also available for the PC, and probably available on Steam (and thus subject to price drops during Steam sales). The only console with worthwhile exclusives right now is a Nintendo 3DS, and soon, the Nintendo Switch. That said, one buys a Nintendo console only to enjoy first party Nintendo games. For everything else, you use the PC.

Or you could just start playing immediately without changing the default configuration at all. Your little framerate drops? Get a better graphics card, dumbass.

Forget about games for fuck's sake or go to .

That's a good point. That said, you can easily brick a console by rooting it, and you miss out on a lot of features.

True for the seventh gen consoles. Not so much for the eighth gen ones.

I'm not a resolution fag, if I decided to get into modern games (i think they mainly suck) I would probably go console over PC because it's cheaper and you get more bang for your buck. 300 dollars for at least 7 years of support for the hobby, less cheating in multiplayer games

last computer game era I was on top of was Duke 3D era and being able to play that game max res perfectly to not being able to even play Quake just turned me off PC gaming basically forever

And thus the flamewar begins.

consoles work for people who just want quick and lazy entertainment, much like watching TV but, it's interactive. They don't care much about anything else, just want to spend time having fun.
PC gamers look for a bit more depth, wanting to get a bit more immersed in the game, have more things they can control, build their own hardware, and have a lot more free time.
That's why normies and wagecucks are associated with consoles, and NEETs and autists with PCs

TL;DR
>lot of free time=PC
>quick entertainment=Console

PS4 Pro and Scorpio say "Hi!"

Because consoles don't offer a lot of the full Nintendo experiences

because there are console exclusives
because you usually don't need to constantly upgrade consoles

Playing a console game
>watch the opening, same as PC
>want to change basic stuff like FOV
>no choice for it
>the only things you can change on settings are Gamma and Brightness
>can't apply custom shaders like on PC
>want to customize the controls further
>no options, all presets
>frame skips when there are explosions or big pieces graphic effects
>go on internet
>browsing it with a fucking controller
>search for the closest retailer to buy an internet pass since I forgot to buy one recently and can't even use multiplayer without it

I always get a chuckle from this question. To play games of course. Games you can only play on consoles, games designed for consoles, games that wouldn't happen without consoles.

If you actually like video games, you have a PC and multiple consoles. No other way around it, unless your tastes are limited as fuck and you only like couple genres, in which case you're a casual anyway.

If you're the aforementioned casual player, PC is enough because it gets you most options. PC's own games, most multiplats eventually come to PC nowadays and also emulators for second rate console experience.

If you're filthy casual normie, you just get whatever's the cheapest option to play FIFA or CoD.

It's like this:

-Exclusive titles
-The price for the hardware is lower. Whether it can get more expensive in the long run or not is a different matter.
-More of a comfortable experience, no need to tweak settings or watch for temperatures. You spend more time playing games and less using them as benchmarks.
-No need to use Windows.

The only reason to not build a PC is either poorness or ignorance.

Because I don't want to use microsoft products.
Because I have a laptop and buying a console is cheaper than building a new pc.

>What's so great about Linux, user?

Everything.

Sonycucks are no better

That was a really, really good read. Thanks for sharing it.

This.

It's nice playing my DS/PSP/3DS/Vita/Switch (once released anyway) on the go. I can't really get that sort of deal with a PC.
>Just get a laptop!
While I do use emulators on my laptop, it's not the same thing.

I'm pretty sure the smoothie analogy applies is in agreement to the op.

Smoothies you make yourself = PC you built yourself
Smoothie from the store = console you buy from the store or pre-built PC

Unless this guy is retarded and genuinely thinks that analogy makes sense in favor of consoles

You have to remember that normal people are fucking stupid and fucking lazy. If it isn't something they can do in less than 5 minutes then they won't do it. Simple as that. If it's something that uses words that aren't in their vocabulary then they won't bother to look into anything. If they don't already know it (typically these people don't know much in the first place) then they don't see the point in learning.

>writing for a console lets your write much closer to the metal
This isn't even a thing anymore. The current generation of consoles are little more than AMD x86-64 APUs with a few customizations. Console optimization is dead.

Sounds like the problem is that you're an autistic little nerd that can't help but screw with every little setting, tweak and patch before you start playing.

Underrated post.

People tend to ignore that a PC is an expensive initial investment. Its hard for the average gamer to go out right now and buy a PC that is of similar size, power and price to an xbox/ps. It also takes skill/research to assemble hardware and configure the OS where as consoles work right out of the box and have UI designed for the average person to navigate easily.

To each their own.

You can get a PC for around the same price as a brand new console, especially using used parts.
It also ends up being a lot fucking cheaper over time. Cheaper games, torrenting, and you don't have to pay for online.

It doesn't take any fucking skill user. A 11 year old little black kid put one together. A lot of kids nowadays are becoming more interested in PC gaming. So you're telling me a fucking 20 year old shit stain can't put one together? And if you're that lazy you can get a used Dell and throw in a GPU.

Windows 10 (Not the best OS but it's the main gaming OS) installs all the drivers out of the box. Besides maybe GPU drivers but it takes two seconds to get them from the site.

It's not that they're unable to, they just don't want to. See

>PS4 Pro
>an underclocked RX 480 paired with an AMD CPU

Woah... so this... is the power... of consoles...!

True. Fuck people are so fucking lazy, they rather deal with shit then dedicate a small amount of time to have a better experiance.

EXACTLY.

>You can get a PC for around the same price as a brand new console, especially using used parts.
Read >Its hard for the average gamer to go out right now and buy a PC that is of similar size, power and price to an xbox/ps.
Feel free to prove me wrong. Build a system online that is just as powerful, is the same size and price and takes about the same time to order as it does for me to navigate to Amazon and click buy as a PS4 Pro. Then take into account the amount of knowledge you have about PC hardware components and throw that into the equation.

Also most people don't want used parts. Even if they are open to the idea of used parts they need enthusiast-level skill in PC hardware to even know what to look for as far as performance and the condition of said used piece of hardware.

>It also ends up being a lot fucking cheaper over time.
I agree with you here except non-enthusiasts have no idea what torrenting is. File this one and used hardware purchasing under things that have no place in this comparison. But people are turned off to the high initial investment.

>It doesn't take any fucking skill user.
Yes it does. The average person does not know how to assemble a computer and load an OS. You can say it's easy all day but people don't know how to do this and probably are not interesting in learning. And no it doesn't make people lazy or stupid, its a skill that needs to be researched and developed. Most people have jobs with their own bullshit they have have to keep up with.

This is why PC gamers are seen as nerdy autists

t. a PC enthusiast

Cheaper and less bugs

a 400$ console gives you the same result as a 1000$ gaming PC

other than that, I just don't like to wear out my PC which I use for working with gaming. It gets hot, it's bad for you pc lifetime. And it separates work and gaming by having separate devices.

If you want to use a PC, get one you use solely for gaming

This is decent bait, even though it's just throwing stuff around.

For the same reason people use Windows instead of Linux, despite having all the freedumbs available to you, as an user.
It's a pain in the ass to setup, more often than not.

>T. Assmad seppo

although I agree for gaming PC I disagree for linux. Unless you want some autismo distro Linux is easier to install. I swear every time I install windows for myself, my parents, my gf there are tons of driver issues. When I installed mint it just werked, all drivers perfectly installed, even the Fn keys worked.

But normies can just buy a laptop, a Xbox controler, install the game and play. Exactly the same as on a console.