Serious question here

Serious question here,

Why should I buy a Ryzen CPU if the 7700K is cheaper than R7 1700, offers better single-threaded performance and 4c/8t is more than enough? I don't understand AMD's marketing stance on this. Even in the US where they're cheaper than Kaby Lake, the price difference isn't that much to justify going for Ryzen...

Other urls found in this thread:

valid.x86.fr/bench/rjmzdu/16
valid.x86.fr/bench/rjmzdu/1
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5wg020/1700x_single_multithreaded_cpuz_benchmark_valid/
guru3d.com/news-story/intel-is-trying-to-manipulate-amd-ryzen-launch.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9AVZ_x64hg4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why should I buy a 7700k when a 1700 is cheaper and I can just turn off cores and OC when I need higher freqs and use full 8 cores when I'm compiling gentoo?

I don't know but you're an idiot

If you think 4c/8t is more than enough, then you're probably going to be interested in the Ryzen R3 series of CPUs. They'll be at least half the price of the i7-7700K with similar IPC. The i7-7700K will overclock a bit higher but cost a lot more. For most, I think the R5 series (6c/12t) will be the sweet spot.

Also bear in mind that in a lot of games, Intel's lower-clocked and previous-generation 6c/12t CPUs out-perform the i7-7700K so the era of quad cores being optimum for gaming is pretty much at an end.

Sorry, but you guys here and the rest of you on the internet will get a rough wake up on the 2nd March.

OC is feasible if you have a high quality water cooling system, and then the reviewer told be me that going beyond the Turbo clock + XFR will not really pay out.

The Ryzen 1700/1800 more than anything else is a multitasking CPU and as such intended for people who need it.

>hey Sup Forums why should I buy X if Y is cheaper
>because X is cheaper

this is you

>the reviewer
Who?

I'm going for Ryzen because I'm going to stream my gaming, so the extra cores come in handy.

just bought a 7700k

gayzen's only competitive chips are still priced way over kaby lake anyway.

Because the 1700x is 8 core and alot of programs are decently multi threaded now

(even gaymes)

>just bought

Idiot, I also will most probably buy an i7, but only after Intel cuts the prices.

>T-t-tell me it'll b-be okay, Sup Forums...!

Have fun destroying your cpu while trying to delid it because intel couldn't be arsed to solder their IHS to their flagship i7.

8 cores and 16 threads is still overkill for the absolute majority of people.

Don't make me laugh by trying to justify that the Ryzen 7 series is actually pandering towards the mainstream market.

well the majority of people are going to have 4 core apus

It fucking bothers me that we won't get any reviews of the 1600X and the 1600 any time soon.

To hell with the NDA.
If I knew that the 1600X would be almost i7-7700 performance, runs cooler and drains less power, I would even wait for another 3 months.

They do it intentionally to save a tiny amount of money, give their HEDT platform more selling points, and to allow resellers to do "delidded bundles" at inflated prices.

The only thing we won't know about the R3 and R5 CPUs by 2nd March is how high they overclock.

You will know tomorrow. The 1600x has the same cores and clock speeds as the 1800x, so it will be about the same performance on single threaded applications.

Even that CAN be found out by disabling 2 cores in Ryzen Master. Wonder how many will do this kind of extensive testing though.

just buy a 4 core ryzen and shut the fuck up

Power consumption?

I dunno but it's an exciting chip, shame Lightroom and Photoshop won't benefit from all those corns.

Just bought an i7 7700K.

Fuck AMD, and fuck Poozen.

>4C/8T is more than enough
If you believe that and you want to pay out the ass for your CPU, buy it. Otherwise hop on the Ryzen express now or wait for Series 5/3

>i like to be cucked
are you swedish?

Just bought an i7 7700K.

Screw AMD, and fuck Poozen.

R5 has 6c and 4c cpus as well.

Because the 1700 competes with Broadwell-E and the upcoming Skylake-E, not Kaby Lake. The Ryzens you SHOULD be considering are the hexa and quadcores that come out later in the spring.

>You couldn't even wait for price drops
>Brand Loyalty
It's like you want to get fucked in the ass.

Probably because nothing uses single threaded processes anymore.

Just Purchased an i7 7700K.

>The only reason someone would want AMD to fail is if they work for Intel, or if they just bought an i7 and are having buyers remorse, but even then they should be happy that there will be a leap in progress and future upgrades will be cheaper.
Guess you're the latter.

power consumption is and will always be better with Intel, I doubt a 65W Ryzen CPU will stay within the 65W range under a gaming load. They still haven't updated the way they measure TDP, so a 65W Ryzen CPU will reach 100W easily.

it should be noted that the margin these handfull of game are "outperformed" by is rarely more than 5 fps.

True but it shows Intel's MOAR MHZ doesn't always win any more.

as long as you're not using a stock cooler there's literally no danger in overclocking kaby, you don't have to delid it and this meme is just a fucking meme.

>TDP is power consumption

buyers remorse purchase

OP here

so, all this time Sup Forums has been telling me to wait for Ryzen because it'll be cheaper, but now that it's released and it's actually more expensive than Intel's alternatives, I should buy it because it has more cores? Huh...so that's still AMD's move, "we have more cores"?

>you don't have to delid it and this meme is just a fucking meme.
You do if you want good temperatures.

it does if you test overclock vs overclock in 4 core configurations.

you're an idiot

>he thinks TDP refers to power consumption

eyzen 1700x faster than 7700k in single thread and faster than 6950k in multithread
sauce:
valid.x86.fr/bench/rjmzdu/16
valid.x86.fr/bench/rjmzdu/1

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5wg020/1700x_single_multithreaded_cpuz_benchmark_valid/

REKT

Just spent my money on an i7 7700K.

there's no difference in the longevity of your hardware at 80 degrees vs 60 degrees.

>denial/bait

t. intelshill

Only the highest end ryzens have been released we still have to wait for low end ones :^)

But it will be cheaper, you fucking retard. The 1700 isn't cheaper than 7700k because it doesn't compete with 7700k, it competes with 6900k and 6850k.

4 cores in 2017

>literally see temps drop 13 fucking Celsius when stock jizzed TIM is replaced
>meme
>meme
>meme
Holy shit, how much is intel paying you?

test it stock now

>
>But it will be cheaper, you fucking retard. The 1700 isn't cheaper than 7700k because it doesn't compete with 7700k, it competes with 6900k and 6850k.
SIR PLS DELET

>tfw waited for ryzen

feels good man

In 2017 you literally need both a quadcore and an 8 core

Although a 6 core is a good compromise between them

with no information based on cooler or load. if the load is artificial the test wont matter much in the real world anyway. it is a fucking meme, you don't need to change your tim, you don't have to delid your processor. there is no difference between running your cpu at 80 degrees constantly and 60 degrees and under constantly.

>I can just turn off cores and OC when I need higher freqs
No you can't. That's not how it works you fucking retard

>there is no difference between running your cpu at 80 degrees constantly and 60 degrees and under constantly.
I really hope you were just trolling me this whole time user-kun...

except it does in ryzen master

on a scale of "shill" to "shill btfo", where are you on the scale now?

>there is no difference between running your cpu at 80 degrees constantly and 60 degrees and under constantly.

>silicon will not degrade faster

ENJOY YOUR CPU ONLY LASTING 10 YEARS FGT LOL

U are dying inside because intel cucked u and u can't take it, stop fighting on internet stop defending evil.

guru3d.com/news-story/intel-is-trying-to-manipulate-amd-ryzen-launch.html

>people are starting to compare a 440$ CPU to a 100$ less expensive CPU

Ok

overclocked 1700x vs stock 7700k when most chips are hitting 5.0ghz, which ryzen will not even come close to. also the 1700x is more expensive, and with intel price drops, the 1700x becomes even less appealing

Not with intel.

You can with Ryzen, so stop buying goyware.

but amd is the jewish company.

You literally don't need anything more

This, the human eye can't see past 4 cores.

You can turn off cores all you want but you won't be getting better OC speeds.

Most likely OC with LN2 but nice to see these numbers regardless

there is no difference. anyone at amd or intel will tell you, as long as your cpu is run within temperature specs it does not affect it's longevity.

the most risk of damage to your cpu in these scenarios would be overvolting while attempting to overclock.

overclocking will degrade your chip more than heat will. but thanks for not contributing anything remotely useful.

>it's nice to see that an OC'd $400 cpu can barely beat $320 @stock speeds
AMDrones are hilarious

oh, I thought you were talking about the ability to disable cores

sorry, I thought you were saying that it's not possible to disable individual cores at all

Just Purchased an i7 7700K.

enjoy the ban faggot

Then why are literally all OC records done with all except one of the cores disabled?

nigga you could've wait for the inevitable Intel panic price drop. I'd get a 7700k too but 1151 mITX are overpriced like fuck, so I'll just wait for AM4 ones.

To make sure the VRMs can take it without blowing up.
But hey if you want to OC your 1700x to 5.0 GHz for a few minutes with LN2 I'm sure you can.
You won't be getting a stable OC on it past the boost speeds however

There's literally no point to having anything with more than 4C/8T in terms of gaming.

8t is already overkill actually

+1

I'm still getting a 1700x or 1800x. I got dozens of JAV that need to be converted from wmv to mp4/mkv.

>no Ryzen equivalent of the i7-7700K
>R3 and R5 have less cores
>mediocre IPC at best
In other words, completely useless for high-end gaming.

>needing the equivalent of jew shit

>mediocre IPC at best
except the leaks show that Zen cores have comparable or even better IPC to Kaby Lake, they just don't have the MHz

>muh gaming
Unless you have a meme 144hz monitor the 1700 is overkill for any game, so is the 7700k to be honest
I have an i5 4670 and I've yet to hit any cpu bottlenecks.

>both companies run by poojeets and isrealis
>one is seemingly more jewish than the other.

You do realize 8 real cores is better than 4c/8t even if the clocks are a bit higher right?

youtube.com/watch?v=9AVZ_x64hg4

not for gaming, or anything else other than video encoding

Less cores means less heat, can take more voltage and more voltage means more overclocking potential.
Ryzen engineering sample on a single core was overclocked to 5.1 on air.

better for certain usages*

Less cores only mean less voltage for the VRM to handle which means you can have a pretty unstable higher clock for a few minutes on LN2, enough time to run benchmarks and that's it

Well the 1700x and 1800x certainly aren't going to bottleneck current games, and future games will support more cores.

I didn't say less cores need less voltage, I less cores can take more voltage for more overcloking potential without getting toasted.

>the 1700x and 1800x certainly aren't going to bottleneck current games
They are unless you have a shitty 60Hz monitor, but if you do you better off waiting for the R3 or getting a 6600k now

>muh cores
Literally the only thing Ryzen has going for it. Unfortunately actual PC gamers don't give a shit about streaming/editing/whatnot and just want a CPU that won't bottleneck their GTX 1080.

And I'm saying it's all for the VRMs sake, not the cpu.
That's why they disable cores.

If a game uses 8 threads or more the Ryzen chip should be faster assuming it's fully utilizing 8 threads

like in ashes here, hopefully this becomes the norm for DX12/Vulkan titles