Programming where to start ??

Oiiih Sup Forums
so let me cut the chase, 1 ½ years ago i gave up on being a chef because it did'nt really appeal to me besides the hours where shit anyways.

well long story short i quit my job and went back to school to pave the way up university where i would like to study programming focused on games.
My problem is i have no idea where to start as far as i have figured out programming should be quite doable to learn on your own so i thought i would give my self a leg up that way

any advice on where to start and what to keep in mind.
thanks in advance i might be a bit slow on the reply got a report due in an hour ^^

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html
youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you don't have a shit ton of money saved up or you get autismbux you should keep a normal job and do it in your spare time

Hmmm well its a little late keeping my job since i allrdy did quit it 1½ years ago and i started school last summer again ^^

Every game dev job I've seen requires you to learn C++ so it might be a good idea to learn that

well you should learn programming asap. you can learn it while in school. just do it whenever you have time left over. to become a real game dev and not a loser hipster dev you will need to learn C++. you could learn some java first if C++ looks too complicated (java took a lot of inspiration from C++ and made it simpler).

you can program games and live a shitty meaningless life or you can program whatever your boss wants and enjoy a high salary

>I'd like to focus on games
Don't. Actually learn to program don't learn to program games. You really don't want to be one of those shitters that's in cs with a "i just wanna make games xDDD" attitude

Thanks alot guys i will start looking at c++ when this report is done i sincerly thank you guys :)
I was kinda fearing making my first post on here this being 4 chan and all ^^

yea thats why im gonna take the 6 year university route learn to program first and then take a special in gaming afterwards :)

proud of you user, also learn the c trifecta. I recommend starting with c moving onto c++ then c# just so you know what goes on under the hood

>then c#
i wonder who could be behind this post

Start with mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

You will never regret it.

I had a friend who studied math in uni and got a job as a programmer after college. He told me to look at job listings and learn each of the things they list. I'm assuming that's what he did to get a job.

This thread is the "install gentoo" of career advice

eh i don't see too much wrong with it. to do game dev you should have a strong background in programming unless you're only doing art or something.

don't follow his advice. it's better to start with python (with pygame), java(with lwgl) or c#(with unity).

Currently most used engines with free plans are Unity and the Unreal engine.

I started with c#. However, it does not matter if you are torn between java or c# because the syntax is mostly the same (c# is super fucking close to java but has some more features like the ability to write functional-styled code or anonymous functions)

also, java is not simplified C++, wtf user

>python (with pygame), java(with lwgl) or c#(with unity)
this is what i mean by loser hipster dev. all the major game studios use C++ with in-house engines or unreal engine/cryengine

>t. wagecuck

wow thanks alot for the detailed responses guys sry i went awol for abit :) guess i have a shit ton of studying to do :D

A LOT of work for no job.

well 7 years is a long time :) besides you get study support when your under education in denmark

i love linux and generally hate anything that's platform specific but i c# is a good way to make a simple program for windows pretty quickly I'm not saying using as a main development tool but if you have something that needs to be done quickly and you know it's gonna run on windows only i don't see a harm in learning it. However I can definitely see why some people wouldn't want to do something like that so I'd say most scripting language are also god tier for this if you get a good gui library going with them. I realize now I should have included all this in my original comment, c'est la vie

Start with a common language.
As other anons have said, C++ is a good language to learn for games.
From here, you can go with OpenGL (which is what I'm trying to learn), an engine from scratch or something different. It helps to know about 3D vector math like cross products or dot products, as well as linear algebra. Oh, and there's also a guy on youtube called Bisqwit. He's made a video on a doom-like engine in C, which I think is worth checking out. Just make sure to learn at a good pace.

>" ^^ " , stacy detected , fuck off whore go fuck chad bitch

Who are you quoting?

C++ is increasingly less relevant, C# is getting bigger and bigger

OP just go into agdg, it has a few people that have actually worked in the industry that you could ask, join the discord or something

Actual game programming is pretty neat, but it requires quite some knowledge.
youtube.com/watch?v=HQYsFshbkYw

comfy

>major game studios
what kind of retard would want to work for them, it's much better to make indie games as a hobby and hope you make money off it than try to become apart of the nightmarish industry

This, making your own smaller games is way more rewarding and less stress than working at some nigger company.

blizzard, nintendo, valve, ubisoft, to name a few all use Unity...

I heard in /VG/ there /agdg/ trend where all gamedev happens

>t. neet