Being Embedded Software Engineer in 2017

> Being Embedded Software Engineer in 2017

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Card
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's bad/wrong with that...?

>be me writing superotimized assembly software trying to save literal bytes in eprom
>next gen of a microcontroller comes out
>has 4gb of ram and runs linux
just

I feel like I am in 50s even though I am in mid 20s, hippies in high level programming get unbelievable money for shitty & easy code while I am trying to unfuck that memory leak

You brought this on yourself.

Embedded sounds like hell. Makes me wonder how they got Java on it. Then again I've got no idea about Java ME.

So what are the software guys with liking for electronics and hardware supposed to do? Just kill themselves?

But at least you can call yourself a Real Programmer.

Embedded sooths my autism, so whatever.

Yesterday I had a tough, in the future the computer will be our phone, so when you come home you just attach the phone in the dock and go.
Since everything becomes faster, there will be a limit of how useful that speed is to everyday user, meaning, if the car can go 1000km/h it doesn't mean we will be driving 1000 all the time or at all.

I know that feel

>call yourself a Real Programmer.
does that title pay for all of life's luxuries

I know that feel...

> 2017
> Writing VxWorks programs
> Find out each function can only take 8 params
> Need to send in 9 params for that function
> End up using two functions to call one function

JUST

>So what are the software guys with liking for electronics and hardware supposed to do? Just kill themselves?
Do it as a hobby, have a high-paid software job as a source of income. This way you don't kill your passion like I did.

>Software Engineer
programmer

Get over yourself

Argie here. Is Software Engineer what every other country calls "Systems engineer"?

this is depressing
is hating webdev stuff just another meme that Sup Forums fell for?

If the manga SE is a reliable source, then yes I think so.

>tfw embedded industrial
>tfw ultimate job security
>tfw great pay
>tfw paid to travel all over three world to fix these things
Can't complain at the moment desu.

>not being a software artisan

Can you program Ti C2000 DSPs?

>not being a computer wizard

I can feel you OP. I'm south German and all we have here is embedded development because muh cars and machines is all we do here.
I can't stand to see the Linux source code anymore. And I fucking hate uboot.

I'm a systems programmer who makes unbelievable money for regular infrastructure code. You don't have to be a hip java script person to be a real programmer. You did this to yourself.

maybe not, but at least you can call others making more money than you while putting in less effort pajeets and streeshitters and poos in loos on Sup Forums!!

>at least you can dick-wave about being a ~REAL~ pwogwammer to people on the internet
Sup Forums in a nutshell

software engineers generally do a lot more than just programming

not everyone wants to be a mere code monkey

It's supposedly more reliable than Linux though which is why NASA chose it over Linux for the rovers.

I hear some of their satellites use Linux though.

I am studying in south Germany at the moment, too. Had to choose between Computer Science and Embedded Systems Engineering.

Glad I fell for the better meme.

>And I fucking hate uboot.

How can you hate u-boot? I find it simple, easily understandable and incredibly flexible.

>machine at work uses Siemens PLC
>would like to read relays
>negative documentation
>can't even listen in on the db-15 port with a computer after buying their so-called programmer cable

Fuck this shit

>Siemens PLC
costanza_drake.jpg

Try to get it replaced with OMRON.

I programmed both once, OMRONs programming application was better by miles.

>I can't stand to see the Linux source code anymore.
Why?

that's why we are all here

it's a low paying shitjob for morons.

why do you think virtually all hardware and firmware is poorly designed shit?

you get what you pay for.

>Makes me wonder how they got Java on it

by paying oracle a shitload of money for license/support to make a on chip JVM

I can't it's part of a glovebox and I would have to redo all the valve controls by hand, which honestly sounds appealing but my boss wouldn't let me spend the time doing so just because I'd like to get the sensor readings in my office.

they chose it because it's an actual real time os precisely because of shit like limited params.

What's pay like?

You wold have to ask his wife. h1b employees only receive a stipend and their salary is sent home tax free to india.

>just do something you don't like for years so you can get suicidal thoughts in your 20s, all while hoping your hobby would finally fill the empty void
sounds great

>you don't have to be a hip JS user to be a real programmer

What the fuck did you even mean by that, you stupid retard?

>regular infrastructure code
for example?

Also doing embedded in south Germany.

It would be nice to have Linux, we mostly work with no userspace RTOS, badly documented proprietary crap. It's nightmare mode.

Should I tell you about JavaCard ?

go ahead

Well, basically crippled Java on your credit card's chip. You know, where there isn't even 16k of anything.

>where there isn't even 16k of anything
how'd it function at all then

Fucking black magic. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Card

>He doesn't enjoy doing shit like that, and other systems programming
Give me your job and fuck off then, you retard.

Wew. It's a nice place.

i hope that meaningful programming is too

goddamn do I know that feel.

What field is most similar to embedded while having the same pay or better of web devs?

kek I hang out with a guy who fixes C bugs all day long for some shit medical machinery company that runs on 20 year old chips.

I mean the guy is alright and all, but we can't help feeling for him when we go out and talk about our dotnet/java/php jobs and he's all lonely and everytime he joins the conversation like a SNL sketch character saying something awkward like "b-b-but you know you can't run that without C and ASM right? you have to know C in order to know how that works...y-yeah".

compiler development
video/audio compression

basically anything where speed is needed enough that C and some assembly is the only option.

h'wat in tarnation
Literally makes no sense, do they rely on initializing every variable as a byte?