MOZILLA JUST BOUGHT POCKET

Let’s get to the big, exciting news first: Pocket is joining forces with Mozilla, the creators of the Firefox browser.

Our announcement post has all the details, but the most important thing to know is that Pocket will be getting better even faster now, as a wholly-owned, independent subsidiary of Mozilla.

This means we’ll be staying in our office, and our name will still be on the wall. Our team isn’t changing and our existing roadmap has been reinforced and is clearer than ever. In fact, we’ve been working on a few major updates that we are really excited to get into your hands in the coming months.

How does Mozilla fit into this equation? They’re adding fuel to our rocketship. We have already worked closely with the Firefox team at Mozilla, and have established a deep trust with their team and vision. They’re going to be a powerful new ally in helping us achieve our mission, and build a better, healthier, and more interesting Internet in the process.

As we continue to grow both as a product and as a company, one thing hasn’t changed: our passion for building a product we love, and the respect we have for you, our users. Without you, Pocket wouldn’t exist, and we are committed to continue making Pocket a unique place where you can spend time with the stories that interest you for many years to come.

---
Looking forward to what’s next!

Nate (Pocket CEO/Founder) and the entire Pocket team

Other urls found in this thread:

mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/45.7.1/releasenotes/
tech.slashdot.org/story/17/02/26/2119246/google-discloses-yet-another-new-unpatched-microsoft-vulnerability-in-edgeie
bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1011
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've used firefox all my computer literate life, yet I never touched this, always removed it first thing. What does it do?

Cursory google shows its basically "bookmarks you can use offline"
So, literally nothing.

I've needed to do this a couple times. I just saved the page without any issues every time.

It's an okay tool (readability + offline) but it never sat right with me that they added it to Firefox by default. It's the very definition of what an optional add-on / extension should be.
Anyway, the acquisition strikes me as another slight re-arranging of the deck chairs.

Chrome is finished.

Open Source zealot Firefox faggots were complaining about Pocket integration saying Mozilla is doomed etc.

Just shows they weren't looking at the bigger picture as usual.

It's an offline reader for webpages. Can't speak for the Firefox add-on but the standalone app for Android sucks dick, never properly formats pages. I used to use it to save gamefaqs pages but Everytime, it would never save my place on the page and trying to navigate was a giant pita since they're just one long page of text, so zooming, or finding your place was basically not worth the time

This

is Sup Forums dead?

We are all dead.

so does that mean that lainchan won?3

Isn't that a trivial feature ? They payed for that ?
What ?

>saving pages
B-b-b-b-but muh cloud

I've always thought the design of pocket was very pretty

Stop eating so much!!

Food taste yummy user especially if it was made by someone you love

What's wrong with wget?

wget is horrible for saving web pages. It only saves the HTML, not everything needed to render the page correctly.

Sure... I have no fucking clue what your product does or why I care.

>Pocket
How can I permanently remove this shitty bloat from firefox?

Hell, why the fuck is mozilla trying to push this shit on its users when they never asked for it?

It's open source. Fork it if you don't like it.

If you need anything more than HTML to read content offline the site you're using is shit.

Forking and maintaining is a lot of work when I just want to use the product in a way that's convenient for me.

I want the content to look the way it's meant to look. Honestly don't know why I am replying even, you are literally insane, see a doctor.

>tfw midorifag cause browser is lightweight and tight and fairly good
>renders pages to look like shit
>so used to edge at this point I cant even use other browsers

Waterfox doesn't have Pocket or EME. If you want to go farther Pale Moon is basically Firefox 24 ESR on life support.

>implying a javascript shitfest is going to work properly when it can't pull from the 1,000,000 different servers it normally does
Once you pull it offline, it's static. There's literally no need for anything except HTML.

No, the page is saved exactly as it looks when you properly save it with browser. It's more than just downloading few files.

Which shouldn't require anything more than HTML, and if it does, the website you're using is shit.

>I want the content to look the way it's meant to look. Honestly don't know why I am replying even, you are literally insane, see a doctor.

use a plugin to capture the entire page as pdf or jpg. or print to pdf. or whatever. literally a problem in search of a problem

You already voiced your opinion about the website I'm using before. Your opinion is worthless.

I'm not using pocket for this, I'm just using browser's built-in save with content feature.

The pocket service only gets called when you click on it.
Remove the icon and it is like it never even existed.

n_n

Replying to the wrong person, I didn't complain about Pocket.

How the hell do you confuse spaghetti with pizza you dumb nigger?!

Firefox can do screenshots and print to PDF without any plugins. What are you talking about?

>abandons Thunderbird
>buys Pocket

Thunderbird it's not abandoned.

>Version 45.7.1, first offered to Release channel users on February 7, 2017
mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/45.7.1/releasenotes/

Can confirm

I've used pocket when it was still called "read it later" and coat money on the play store. It's just a bookmarking synchronization service for me, the reader mode has never worked properly. Also, all other features and aspects on their website and app have never evolved. Nothing was added, never responded to feedback. Why would anyone buy that company?

Ctrl+S

Instapaper is vastly superior.

I've never used this thing before because I had no idea what it is. Then someone said it should be disabled because it's a security risk. Does this mean I no longer need to disable it since it's not 3rd party anymore?

Remove the icon and disable it in the about:config.

>Why would anyone buy that company?
An increasingly irrelevant company desperate to claw back market share from Chrome and its forks

>Using 2 shitty browsers

Edge has an unpatched security vulnerability right now.
tech.slashdot.org/story/17/02/26/2119246/google-discloses-yet-another-new-unpatched-microsoft-vulnerability-in-edgeie

Google notified Microsoft over 90 days ago.
Microsoft is too incapable to fix it.

Check the catalogue fucknugget.

Security vulnerabilities are a meme. Who's going to hunt you down and break into your computer? Nobody, because YOU are nobody. Stop with the fearmongering already. You sound like the SJWs.

Nobody has to hunt you down.
All it takes is a website that exploits everyone who visits it.

And if you don't want to get exploited, you just don't visit those websites. Problem solved.
Now stop acting like the sky is falling.

So did anybody read poc and understood why it causes edge to crash ?

bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1011

And if you don't want to use an insecure browser just don't use edge.

>bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1011

It's fucking nothing.

>what is malvertising

>what is adblock

ye just some arbitrary code executing from visiting a web page with javascript, no biggie

No, they allowed a cyber dictator to rip their heart out.

I hope you're not using AES.

Why does Mozilla keep buying failure?

literally what?

>what?

what's the fucking point. Why don't they fix their broken fucking browser before acquiring meme companies?

We need community action and tech solutions to stop these trolls

how do we do this?

Just switched to Opera. Is it a Chinese botnet?
I have installed all my firefox extensions as well and it feels faster and better than ff desu. Only thing bothering me is that bookmark bar cannot be arranged to the side of the address bar so it eats up like 15 pixels of vertical space.

>Opera. Is it a Chinese botnet
probably something shady, the source is closed

I like Chromium personally.

>We need community action and tech solutions to stop these trolls
>Bad software?! I know, more SJW!

>Mozilla
>stoped firefoxOS dev to focus on firefox
>stoped thunderbird dev to focus on firefox
>firefox still shit
>will stop firefox dev to focus on SJW

>celebrating niggers in #FOSS

Thunderbird was already "stopped", Mozilla decided it was better to leave it where it was than to try to bring it back up to parity with Firefox's codebase. Firefox and Thunderbird had been separated for a few years at that point.

FirefoxOS was poorly planned and ran like shit plus it got in the way of e10s and more importantly browser sandboxing.

>Pocket will be getting better
I have news for you, Nate.

>diversity in tech
>picture of 3 pajeets
>diversity

>The adventures of Deadzilla in Failureland
They should quit in their glory.

Thunderbird is still alive but was allowed to remain independent of Firefox rather than being combined into the same codebase. Mozilla doesn't see the need in combining them, it would just complicate development for both if they tried. Thunderbird doesn't even need all the functionality of Gecko anyway, it could almost be completely decoupled from Gecko and just turned into a web based interface that works on any web browser.

They even post sassy black people gifs sheeeit

No more excuse!

>Our team isn’t changing and our existing roadmap has been reinforced and is clearer than ever.
>only allows less features with webextensions

I literally don't know what this is or why I should even care.

It's literally nothing. Private company that supports open source acquired a private company that sells proprietary software and they ultimately want to release the software under a FOSS license. Nothing should change except maybe the service gets more support. If you didn't use the service it doesn't really affect you.