Youtube is 12 years old

>Youtube is 12 years old
>there is still no mainstream competitor (in the west at least)
>you can't fully escape Google's ecosystem if you want to watch videos on the internet
Will this ever change? Can anything cause normies to leave Youtube?

Other urls found in this thread:

peerjs.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=5i5N58plzDY
microg.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There is some competition though it's mostly harmless, i mean vimeo and daily motion are out there, and sometimes i can find movies up for stream on daily m.

Youtube is a monopoly run by jews, people started using it, and everyone is just waiting for an alternative.

Same with Facebook.

It's just so much cancer overrun with old people and stolen shit.

But there's nothing that can actually compete

>everyone is just waiting for an alternative
who exactly?

there are plenty of alternatives but why? youtube is objectively the best in every way. why would any normie change?

YouTube being purchased by Google is literally the best thing that happened to video streaming the last 10 years. Friendly reminder that MPEG DASH is the result of this.

Not unless YouTube fuck something up royally. People rely on Youtube for their living. Moving over to another platform is too much of a risk for them as they will lose large portions of their audience.

Because
MUH FRIDUUM!

Because I'm autistic and want to get rid of my google account, but I still want youtube.

i love it when economic illiterates use this dumb fucking logic

>people rely on YouTube for their living

What in the world do you mean by that you fucking idiot?!

If we all go to Video Platform X the money will follow and so will the people.

Its all about the technology and the people who use it.

YouTube is a search engine for videos and as long as bandwith technology is that expensive they will have their monopoly on it because they can deliver the best product.

Probably not right now. Deal with it nerd

>everyone is just waiting for an alternative

That's bullshit though. Sites already exist that offer a better experience and much higher quality videos than Youtube. Several relatively large Youtubers have tried moving to them and saw their views tank by 95% every time, because people aren't willing to move, even for an established personality who they like.

Technology has always been monopolised. Its not going to change, ever.

You will never escape Google. YouTube will never have a competitor. In the future, Amazon will be the only retailer on planet Earth. Zuckerberg will be President.

You know this to be truth.

Youtube costs more then 500mil a year to run.
No other video hosting site spends millions on video backups and shit like Google. This isn't going to change any time soon.

youtube is so far ahead no one can compete.

>$90 for the sopranos on youtube
>free on the pirate bay
nice one you fucking idiot

Yeah if we are talking about vessell then i agree.

Also the paywall is what stops people.

desu its one of the only shows id pay for ever

>The pirate what...?
>Hey Jim see if you can get Sopranos of Youtube
>Darleen! they have the whole series for only 90$ that isn't so bad, I'll get it and they we can watch.

Sup Forums is a echo chamber.

Well i for one am sick of the sjw propaganda youtube promotes.

Also there's this annoying ability to disable comments and like dislike ratio to stop people from discussions.

It's just a biased company that will eventually die the new (now old) hero shit where you can be a moderator and remove what you deem right or wrong etc.

Working for the jew for free.

It's literally absurd and ridiculous

Not arguing with you on the propaganda or the "youtube heros" bullshit.

You don't think people should have the right to disable discussion on their own videos though?

Or maybe you are right everyone just loves youtube and they don't want anything better

that's all well and good, but you do realise you are one in about a million, right?

Absolutely not, when you post a video you are creating a piece of media that is up for debate whether that debate is managed in a good or bad way that is up to the creator, i am for banning people because they can behave like faggots but disabling discussion i am completely against that, if you can't take the criticism and mean shit from the internet the. Don't post it keep it to yourself, you can't have your cake and eat it too

I disagree.

Obviously you don't have the right to close down all discussion of your shit (nor is it even possible to do so) but you're under no ethical or legal obligation to host that discussion on your own page.

If people want to talk about what you made they're perfectly free to do so anywhere else.

It's really hard to make video hosting profitable, it's quite expensive.

Isn't Youtube basically constantly losing money?

There is no cost benefit, brainlet.

it is. Youtube is still intact because google can use it with their ad network, your watched videos being used to target ads to you, and because they might find some way to make it profitable in the future, same with twitch, more or less.

It costs a metric fuckton of money to host videos on the internet but Google operates YouTube at a loss because our data, viewing habits, interests, and desires are valuable to them in other ways.

Its not going to change as long as youtube pays content creators and others cant generate the same amount of money

wouldn't it be possible to make a relatively lowcost video platform relying on browser peer to peer shit like link related ?
peerjs.com/

Twitch makes a shitload of money because they have the subscription and bits shit which nets them 50% of every sub, because of all the big companies that sponsor their site and because Amazon money.

It's a pretty well thought out site and one of the rare cases where new updates are actually making things better.

You don't need a Google account to watch videos on YouTube.

You do if you want to watch anything behind the age wall/make video playlists/do anything besides sift through shit to find that one video you want.

There's dailymotion and vimeo

b4 the google purchase there was a lot of piracy on youtube

>90$ for Sopranos.
What a loser.

people still buy media with money ?

If you want to do any of that then you should literally kill yourself. Retard.

Well DO THEY??

why the fuck do you buy south park? It's for free (legally) online

I remember hearing rumors of Amazon thinking of starting a competitor service, but I'm not sure if its true

Not whomst'd you replied to, but you're the fucking economic illiterate here.

I don't like YouTube. I'd love to see a migration to vid.me or something even more ideologically sound ie mediagoblin, but it is not going to happen.

>If we all go to Video Platform X the money will follow and so will the people.

That isn't going to happen, though. In reality, you may come across two or three medium-big YouTubers who decide to migrate and a fraction of their followers subscribe to them on x platform.

Now what?

You forget that YouTubers of all people are probably some of the least ideologically driven, and it would take Google literally raping their families to make them switch platforms.

>>you can't fully escape Google's ecosystem if you want to watch videos on the internet
What is liveleak, vimeo, dailymotion?

>south park is free online
>watching that shitty jewish propaganda in the first place

completely off topic

but AMAZON s3 is down

this shit is fucking pissing me the hell off, can't access my dad's email.

Important documents to print

>everyone is just waiting for an alternative.

No one is waiting for an alternative when everything is already on Youtube, you retard. It's not like people can just migrate to something else like they all did with Myspace and Facebook 10 years ago.

Then you have no substantial audience. Sharing videos between friends has never been a problem, people just either want youtube to die or for there to be competition for some reason, when neither is really necessary. Any successful replacement will be virtually the same when it comes to exploiting your data, because anything else wouldn't be able to promote itself.

The only real block is the age thing, everything else can be managed with addons or apps.

>What is liveleak, vimeo, dailymotion?

shit

No one cares;kill yourself. Retard.

But we are talking about risk.
And leaving YouTube is a risk that I, if I had over a million subscribers, won't be willing to make since YouTube is installed by default in pretty much every smartphone, and even technologic illiterates can have easy access to it.

Unless I see the imperious need of changing to another platform (let's say, if YouTube starts to censor videos and makers massively), I won't do that.

>people rely on YouTube for their living
I would not risk dropping my earnings to a third if that happens. Sure, most of my most loyal fans would follow me, but that would cripple how discoverable I am.

maybe jewtube is too big to fail, but that is not to say that if something better comes along people won't switch.

Maybe a faggot like you finds a new way of implementing a better compression because he is smarter than all the r&d at google.inc

Maybe we will keep using the tube until it becomes like facefuck.

There's no need to be so faggy though, just saying

Faggot

>get amazon prime with uni discount
>might as well try their shitty netflix amazon videos ripoff
>tfw entire sopranos series was on their for free

It's not great but it does have some hidden gems at least.

Almost everyone but their grandma is using AWS

Scribd
LinkedIn
Spotify
SoundCloud
Foursquare
Intuit
PBS
Newsweek
Yelp
ubisoft
expedia
netflix

>youtube alternative starts to popularize
>search for something specific that new site doesn't have
>end up finding it on youtube instead
>permanently go back to youtube because it already has everything you will ever need

make sense now, moron?

Nothing lasts forever

Just use it without logging in!

YouTube? Didn't mediagoblin take over yet?

Vid.me

also
>youtube.com/watch?v=5i5N58plzDY

Is this watch genuine ? How much would it cost?

>everyone is just waiting for an alternative.
this

YouTube is small shit compared to China

Chynah has it's own google and it's own jewtube.

But i doubt there's anything worth watching, only rich billionaire kids with their cars doing fast and furious reshoots.

I don't think eastern culture is comparable to the west, the type of media they consume is different and more dumb (so it would seem no insult intended) but the recent big budgets in the last 2 to 4 years have been largely shot in chynah, because money and market expansion (the high monk in doc strange is Tibetan in the comics, but the cheynese hate tibetans so marvel made it a white female rat alien thing) lots of movies seem to have a very very simplistic story line so that asians can follow this i guess is because of the difference in movies and media consumption, jokes lines story arch everything is different.

2much4u

Around 15k i believe

Dumbest post I've ever read on Sup Forums this year.

Video is too expensive to begin used, only big infrastructure or subscriptions could pay for it.

Maybe in 10 or 15 years begin possible to 720p video, but you know YouTube will had 8K@240.

Video streaming is relatively expensive.

It makes financial sense to have the majority of traffic handled by a single highly specialized and efficient company like youtube.
Of course the political implications are severe, but hey, who cares enough to pay a subscription?

Man in the High Castle in 4K alone is worth getting Prime.

i hope that isn't representitive
it's basically 100% blocking artifacts
if you're going to use such a low bitrate, at least denoise the picture first

looks like shit. colors bleeding all over.

Nah, that image is shit. My bad, should have looked closely before posting it. The 4K stream looks great, I never noticed any blocking, quite the contrary there is a very nice film grain preserved (it was probably filmed on digital with grain added in post, but it looks good nonetheless).

Here's a better image. I bought a 55" 4K TV last BF, I didn't even care about 4K but there were no non-4K models without shit specs. Watching High Castle on it was a great way to start utilizing it.

>Youtube is 12 years old
And they still haven't found a way to make it profitable, which answers your question about why there is no competitor

Do you think he's dead?

Depends greatly on the country. In Germany Amazon Video is worlds ahead of Netflix and it's cheaper too if you don't mind paying a whole year in advance.

DASH is horseshit

You can uses newpipe and there is another tube app I think that lets you keep subs without an account. Wire replaces hangouts and does it better. Requires no phone number either or google services framework. Everything can be replaced.

I'll also point out that you don't require Google Services Framework at all anymore.

microg.org/

Google still HAS NOT profited off of youtube

>literally the best thing
You mean the WORST fucking thing.

Another monopoly for Google. Google destroyed youtube's community, removed hundreds of features, hid all your data from you and constantly tries to manipulate you into watching whatever video fits their ad/political campaign.
FUCK google having another monopoly on brainwashing.

Normies do, yeah.

It's not profitable.

you can profit off something without making money

this is basically how fucking normies operate.so fucking airheaded.

Well there was Vessel but they closed that a while ago.

Yeah meanwhile movies from china and the rest of asia are vastly different in both style and storytelling, that's why when a western faggot copies oldboy it's suddenly a hit and nobody knew about the original (almost nobody)

remember stage6

>dumber than western media
>dumber
>than western media
brah

This, combined with the increasingly aggressive attempts to create some kind of paid subservice on YouTube, and as Google's management and employee base increasingly reverts to the mean... I can see some serious slash and burn being done with YouTube in the not too distant future. From those fires, maybe we'll see an alternative.

China's protectionism has really paid dividends, they've got home grown services which are in many ways better than cookie cutter western stuff. Streaming services in particular are way more interesting in China, there's like 5 or 6 major streaming sites and they all have interactivity and features that make Twitch look like clowntown.

>TFW you will never be able to relive the slim, efficient, 2008 channel design

They have so many serious soap operas that take themselves over the top , take kirk acting from star trek and double it. Not all eastern media but china has some very noticeable differences. Japan is over the top as well in almost every medium from comedy tv shows to movies.

But the main selling point in asia is chynah so shooting and marketing movies there is big now, (they had to make finns face smaller in the new star wars the faggot awakens because they are racist same thing with doc strange and the monk)

Holy fuck that ui is ugly
I'll happily sell all my details to google if they promise to never make youtube look like that again