Found an old corsair h60 without the fan on an old core2duo pc

>found an old corsair h60 without the fan on an old core2duo pc
>test it, pump apears to work
>put a fan on it, 65°C idle on a pentium dual core LMAO
>must be broken, open it, found pic related stuff
>drain old dirty fluid, clean cooper fins, refill it with distilled deionized water
>test again, 24-29°C on idle
its running on water only, seems to work fine but what to do now?
i know i need a corrosion inhibitor but i dont know what to use, rad seems to be aluminum btw, i dont have idea what kind of plastic are the tubes.also watercooling treath

why the fuck would you use water

Use distilled water

I meant distilled water sorry

Doesn't matter if it's distilled or deionized, like you said it's still a dirty fluid chamber, full of corrosion and leftover bits of shit. You want to dissolve all that shit in your fluid?

should I change the rad?

Personally I wouldn't spend any money trying to get an H60 functional, but if i had a gun to my head I would start off with some kind of general purpose radiator cleaning fluid and new pipes

acetic acid?

Probably the easiest option
No idea what the pump internals are made of though, probably don't want that to be spinning without a non-heat-dense lubricating oil (not water)
I'd check the pipes for any damage or cracking or stiffness too, not sure how usable they'd really be

how is it even possible for the water to evaporate in a closed loop?

use a soap (dishsoap) to clean, and radiator fluid/coolant from prestone is cheap for a gallon.

It's not supposed to evaporate, it's just the fluid taking the heat
One of the several reasons why copper vaporpipes > Rubber hose of vegetable oil

But for heatpipes, the trick is low/vacuum pressures and an easily evaporating fluid like alcohol
Evaporation and condensation is arguably the best form of fluid heat transfer

the pipes look surprisingly good

water cooling not even once

well water evaporate at 100c even on some cars radiator need to refill (took maybe for like 3-5 years not complete gone but still need to be added/reflush)

Because it's not completely sealed, just sealed enough to it doesn't leak.

I still don't get why people buy into the AIO meme.
It's the one the worst pc memes.

car radiators are not closed systems though. there is an actual refill tab

I agree they're a meme, but AIO coolers do have their use in compact cases where an air cooler with similar performance is too tall/big

I had my H60 with a broken pump replaced under warranty, got a H60 V2 replacement through Corsair RMA, don't think I'm getting an AIO cooler again, air coolers just work (tm)

add about a teaspoon of sodium metabisulfate to the liquid and you will be golden against bacteria/algae growth

you wont see that thing rust, copper and aluminum dont rust, think of the statue of liberty, it turns green and discolors, wont affect anything really, and that takes a long time, it also likely has a layer of protective silicone film on the surface from the factory

> AIO coolers do have their use in compact cases where an air cooler with similar performance is too tall/big

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree - if you can't cool the gear quietly in the size given, increase size.
These tiny ITX housefires are memes too.

water cooling was cool when P4 was a 140W inferno with bad power management.

Not so relevant now

And prior to profileration of heatpipes and eventually tower coolers

ThermalTake Silent Tower was the real deal.

you think im safe with just distilled water?

The fact that it's distilled water means jack shit once you put it into your dirty grimy system. It's not safe it if leaks. It's probably not safe for the pump to be spinning in it either

no, you will get a film that slowly builds up in the pipes until you basically get koumbucha - mold and other fungus/bacteria growing in it, will eventually clog up everything

sodium metabisulfate. srsly, dont put radiator junk in there either, that will likely dry out the plastic. sodium metabisulfate is what was originally in those pipes to begin with

safe? lmao watercooling is shit.

>thinking rust is a problem
Electrolysis will eat your shit.

The aluminum parts will corrode and leave deposits on the copper.
It doesn't matter if it's de-mineralised, de-ionsed water - it will pick up ions from the aluminum oxide forming over the aluminum parts.

As another practical example of this: a sacrificial anode in a hot water service.

I use straight distilled water in one of my very old AIO coolers in an old AMD Athlon 64 X2 build, Still hasn't leaked to my knowledge but your mileage may very depending on the quality of your water and the makeup of your entire system. Mine was 100% copper metal with plastic tubing. I don't have to worry about two different metals dissolving into the water and messing up the other. You, you might have copper heat sink with an aluminum radiator, you'll need a bit of inhibitor in it but keep in mind that makes it very conductive which if spayed onto the motherboard and other components will destroy everything. You'll have a chance with Distilled Water not shorting everything out.

Source: Ran a PC in Distilled Water for a short while to prove a point. Dust in case mixed with distilled water is about as bad as spraying conductive coolant anyway so it's probably best if you spent the $5 on some inhibitor.

Some of the water can permeate through the tubing.

Distilled water with an additive is fine for about 6 months.
My custom loop fluild is fine after 6 months when I change it.

None of my blocks are clogged.

yes mine is cooper/aluminum
any additive recomendations?