/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4 [Open]

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Tissot-T0994073603700-Tourelles-Powermatic-Automatic/dp/B0170W27XS/ref=cts_wa_2_vtp?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2897711222&pf_rd_r=CS0YWHYNGH0RVFREQH63&pd_rd_wg=GIk6T&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B0170W27XS&pd_rd_w=PGgWD&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=CS0YWHYNGH0RVFREQH63&_encoding=UTF8
us.tissotshop.com/tissot-chemin-des-tourelles-squelette-2.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

will you marry me?

>there was a point in time where I thought Tokyoflash was the pinnacle of watches

Is spring drive a meme?

It seems like it's overcomplicating things for no reason.

And ruining the "soul" of mechanical watches.

If you wanted a quartz timed watch why not buy a quartz watch?

There are watch movements so beautiful and intricate that they count as some of the highest achievements in human engineering. But I guess your chart is good too, OP.

>Everyone loves Vostok
>They look worse than chink watches

The cases look like chrome plated bronze and the bracelets have tool marks.

I think it's really nice. The fact that the "escapement" procures its electrical power from the very mechanism it regulates is incredibly cool to me.
It's an elegant and integrated way to increase the accuracy of a mechanical watch.

It reminds me a bit of the reason I love railguns: the projectile is part of the electrical circuit that gives propulsion to it. If you don't think that's the neatest shit you can get out of my face.

Also, spring drive is the only movement with a truly smooth seconds hand.

>It's an elegant and integrated way to increase the accuracy of a mechanical watch.

But when do we get to the point where you might as well have a quartz watch?

It's like compound bow archers should just get it over with and shoot guns.

Literally who

Nobody likes the bracelets, and the cases of the Komandirskies (and bezels on all of them) are indeed plated brass (not bronze, that would be too expensive).

They're obviously not liked for their amazing quality and finishing, but for their cheapness and quirkiness of design.

>tfw i have an old vostok without a model name/number on it and it's just a plain jane watch

Tho the ones they still make/the ones people like are shit

They're not even that cheap though, they're at the exact same price point as chink watches. Around $100.

They're in house movements for under 50 bucks bruh, what's not to love

I see it as just a different escapement. It is indeed quartz, which in itself is pretty much figured out, but the integration in a mechanical movement presents its own set of challenges that conventional escapements don't have.

And for me, the main difference between quartz and mechanical is the way the hands are driven, not the way timekeeping is achieved.

Of course, I totally get why some people don't like spring drive, and I'm not about to tell them they're wrong.

Bows are cool and guns are too, and they feel nothing alike to shoot. That's a skewed comparison.

komandirskies are $35 and amphibias $70

>they feel nothing alike to shoot.

Yeah but a compound bow has pulleys to take the weight of the draw, trigger mechanisms to ensure a quick release, and magnified sights.

Like when do you just admit you might as well shoot a gun?

I do archery, but I shoot real bows aka recurve.

I don't know if you can pull the in house moment meme when dimitri has made movement out of tin cans and string.

>Is spring drive a meme?
No

>It will never be yours

It's a fancy quartz no matter how hard Seiko shills in /wt/ are trying to insist otherwise.

What's wrong with fancy quartz?

inb4 he says all quartz is the same

>Go over to WUS to see how people feel about the Corgeut Black Bay homage
>They're all going autistic over the engraved crown because that's Tudor's logo

LOL better go tell Henry the 8th that Rolex have a copyright on his families crest.

Junghans, Tissot, or Hamilton, which is best to buy vintage?

I'd go Hamilton, entirely subjectively
I have no interest in the other two

Spring Drive takes the worst of both worlds.

>no pic

Are you going to back that up or what

Here you go.

wew that was bigger than i thought

>Steal a family name to use in your watch brand
>Implying you have any right to complain when people copy you.

amazon.com/Tissot-T0994073603700-Tourelles-Powermatic-Automatic/dp/B0170W27XS/ref=cts_wa_2_vtp?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2897711222&pf_rd_r=CS0YWHYNGH0RVFREQH63&pd_rd_wg=GIk6T&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B0170W27XS&pd_rd_w=PGgWD&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=CS0YWHYNGH0RVFREQH63&_encoding=UTF8

thoughts?

>Tissot

>Toss it

por que

>When you spend all day looking at chinkshit homages when you should just be saving up for a real watch.

Oh hey I wonder what day it is

Really feel like pulling the trigger on this. Afraid its gonna be too big on me though :/

I saw on minitwatch that its 48.9mm lug2lug, and i have a watch thats 5cm wich seems to be my max, dude in pic related doesnt seem to have much smaller wrists than mine though.

What do you think Sup Forums? Is it way too big on him?

Thanks for letting me know

2big

Just fucking get a Sarx035 instead of that abomination.

Fits your wrist well bro!

I love the open heart though

The pic is not me, but his wrist is pretty similar to mine so thanks

Check orients collection. They got some open heart watches in different sizes

Thanks i'll do that

Wew hope thats not actually his lmao. Its way bigger than the pic i posted though

this looks like ti should be on a jacket or something.

it looks like it should be in a garbage bin

NORMAL VOSTOK MOVEMENT IS HAVE 31 JEWELS. THIS IS DOUBLE NORMAL NUMBER OF JEWELS FOR WATCH WITH THESE SPECIFICATION. WHY YOU ARE UPSET?

Have decided on the orient cdb05001b instead :) thanks for your help

>implying ppl actually like Vostok rather than trying to exaggerate the worth of the only non-fashion watch they can afford.
People also like to take false comfort in the ability to buy multiple cheap watches, as if that'll compensate for not owning an actual good watch.

you're welcome

>It reminds me a bit of the reason I love railguns...
You just went from 0 to full autism, bro.

two watches and bunch of straps in the mail, /wt/!!

Fits my wrist perfectly

you can form the shit around the wrist :^)

btw where is the ghee emtee hand

Who the heck is that character on the Sup Forums frontpage anyhow?

It's Sachiko Koshimizu, the CUTEST idol.

Why do Seiko call the spring drive movement the latest technology in watches?

Surely it's outdated technology?

It's quartz bits attached on to a mechanical watch, there is no reason for the mechanics, they are just hindering the quartz.

Surely the 9F movement is more advanced.

A very cute one, don't you think?

If you look closely you can see the GMT hand is at 3 o'clock under the cyclops.

us.tissotshop.com/tissot-chemin-des-tourelles-squelette-2.html

>2,100

I wish I were one of those people who could buy this without worrying

>Spending that much money on a watch that looks that bad from a brand that shit.

@59171668

You don't even deserve a (You), you inveterate pleb.

Shit, I see it now, why is it set to a timezone just few latitudes apart?

has anyone here seen tudor's black bay 36 live

i am a little interested in it but would have to travel pretty far to see one (tho i obviously would if i wanted to buy one)

a friend's friend actually got one of those and i died a bit inside when i heard about it

it could have been prevented if i knew he was getting a new watch

Why would you buy a watch that you can't even read

>60mm diameter

>Wew hope thats not actually his lmao

It is :^)

>Those hands

If it had a rotating bezel it'd be perfect. As is I'm sure you could find comparable/better 3 handers for cheaper or with better movements.

>Outdated

No, spring drive was developed well after the stepper motor quartz movement.

>It's quart bits attached on to a mechanical watch

That statement doesn't make any sense.

>They are just hindering the quartz

That statement doesn't make any sense either.

It's outdated because mechanical watch technology is outdated.

You're just attempting to remove the downsides of mechanical watches, when that was already done by Quartz movements.

It's marketed as +1/-1 per day. A fully quartz movement could do better.

To use an analogy it's like a very advanced steam powered car.

It could be the most advanced steam powered car in history, but it's still a steam powered car.

Most spring drives get better accuracy than 15s/month. The only pure quartz movements that could do better are the HAQ ones like seiko's 9F which is thermo-compensated.

So you would just rather it be powered by a battery than a mainspring?

creation lists a dolce at +-10/year
>tfw no hyperaccurate quartz watch

>Mechanical watch technology is outdated

It isn't, but that's not relevant here since spring drive isn't a mechanical movement in the sense it's traditionally meant.

>You're just attempting to remove the downsides of mechanical watches

Says who? Seiko doesn't seem to have stopped producing mechanical watches, even very high end mechanical watches.

Seiko have also not stopped making high end stepper motor quartz movements.

This idea that spring drive was meant to supplant another type of movement seems to be entirely in your own head.

Actually spring drive was developed mostly to eliminate batteries and to achieve a perfect smooth second hand sweep to make a more elegant solution than stepper motor quartz, not to improve accuracy.

Seiko still make mechanical watches because of watch autists.

Everyone attempted to move to quartz in the 70s and 80s and every watch company would prefer it if they could only make quartz watches due to better cost vs profitability margins.

F-91W

>It's marketed as +1/-1 per day
what? No, that's F91W tier bad. Spring drive is guaranteed to be at least twice that accurate.

>every watch company would prefer it if they could only make quartz watches

Please lend us this crystal ball you're using in order to read the minds of the top execs at every single watch company, user.

Dude what? My cheap ETA quartz is about +3spm

Guess what m8, springs drives can do that too. The ratings are just CYA specs. You may luck out and get something much more accurate, but you wouldn't be able to complain to seiko or whoever until it went outside of the cited spec.

I assume that you're saying "mainsprings are outdated"? Because that's basically the only thing that's in a spring drive and not in an ordinary stepper motor quartz analog watch.

I could see an argument for an ecodrive spring drive being more modern than a real spring drive, but that's about it. Automatic winding plus mainspring is a pretty good energy system, anyways.

There are innovations spring drive could benefit from that are not in standard everyday quartz watches (thermocompensation, GPS sync, etc), but that's a different argument from the one you're making.

>These watches are stupid!
>They're using technology I don't understand
>At a pricepoint I can't afford
>and I hate it and it's outdated!

You got very lucky; most will be 3 to 5 times that.

If you're not a watch autist, why are you still here?

>He thinks company executives wouldn't prefer to be able to sell a piece of shit for thousands of dollars.

Lol you actually believe watch makers care about "soul" and "passion"? Lrn2capitalism.

Proletariat, workers of the world unite, etc etc. Are you done here?

Try watching the talking watches ep with jean claude biver m8. Especially the part about blancpain, where it was deliberately decided that there would never be a quartz blancpain. I'll give you a hint, it's easy to detect when a company goes purely cynical and cash grabby. The people who spend kilobucks on watches at least want the appearance of the company giving a shit about their products.

>you will never be able to justify the servicing fees for the rest of your life

Will you ever be able to afford service on a watch, user?

Are tudors worth their price point

You assume they don't because you are totally ignorant of horology. Seiko in particular have a long history of obsessive commitment to horology over and above the profit motive going back to the chronometer trials in the 1960s.

They literally spent 25 years developing spring drive, even though they already had developed stepper motor quartz and extremely well made mechanical movements. They were under no market pressure to develop spring drive because no one outside of Seiko had conceived that such a movement was even a hypothetical possibility until Seiko revealed it.

>own a Fifty Fathoms
>too afraid to scratch it and wear a Longines almost every single day

Considering the numerous scratches on my HydroConquest, I-I guess it was worth it.

Looks like Nomos are finally selling their watches at a sensible price point

:^)

Not quite true - the Piaget 700P was developed, at least in part, independent and concurrent with the Seiko spring drive.

>horloge