Whenever we talk about German nationalism and Greater Germany in history...

Whenever we talk about German nationalism and Greater Germany in history, the relationship between Germany and Austria always comes up, but I rarely hear about Switzerland. Were the German-speaking cantons of Switzerland considered part of the concept of Greater Germany? Did any Swiss Germans want to join the German Confederation or Empire, or did their identity as Swiss supersede the fact that they spoke German?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/aUZ7bfKEU5s?t=1m21s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Were the German-speaking cantons of Switzerland considered part of the concept of Greater Germany?
I don't think so.
>Did any Swiss Germans want to join the German Confederation or Empire,
Only a very small minority.
>or did their identity as Swiss supersede the fact that they spoke German?
Yes. They had a state and a constitution since 1848 and there was no revolution since that time. So there was no need to merge with any, until 1871 very instable, Germany.

Have regional dialects across Germany lost importance since the standardization of High German or have they remained common? Did Saxons in Leipzig 200 years ago speak Sächsisch and the Swabians in Stuttgart speak Schwäbisch or were dialects only common outside the cities like today? What dialect was spoken in Berlin before the Kanake?

Mostly old people or uneducated ones speak with their dialect, though they haven't completely disappeared as there are always times where they still get used, like Carnival in NRW, or the Oktoberfest in Bavaria.

>Have regional dialects across Germany lost importance since the standardization of High German or have they remained common?
They have lost importance as a written language but are still relevant in daily speech.

most germans speak the meme language called hochdeutsch these days, which is a mishmash of southern dialects spoken with a northern accent. however many germans still speak with their native dialect, and all swiss and most austrians speak dialects too (although all can understand and speak hochdeutsch but germans cant understand some dialects)

In the song 'was ist des deutschen vaterland' they specifically mention Switzerland, but they also mention Austria. Both countries at the time had large non german minorities, which were unwanted. So both countries didn't make it into germany. Another reason why Switzerland was left out was because they were happy with what they had and they didnt want to break it up, i guesd. Austria because prussia wanted to maintain dominance.

Maybe you should ask when more euros are awake.

why did your flag fall over austria

Too much beer jtbqhfwyml (just to be quite honestly frank with you mate lad).

I am pretty sure written Hochdeutsch originated from Saxony because of the Luther translated Bible from the Wartburg.

*looks closer at you*
hey, wait a minute...

nah hochdeutsch was basically a literary language used in southern germany to communicate as broadly as possible. in the north (where plattdeutsch, which is closer to dutch, is spoken) they learned it as a second language. but thanks to prussian influence the "standard" accent is north german.
EL PERUANO: DURANTE SU
NIÑEZ... ES OBLIGADO A ORDEÑAR
CABRAS..VACAS... LIMPIAR ESTABLOS
``EL PERUANO ``SIEMBRA`` PAPAS. CEBOLLAS`` Y HACE TRABAJOS
AGRARIOS!!..el peruANO NO SE BAÑA , NO ESTUDIA ,
NO VA A LA ESCUELA , AL COLEGIO NO VA A LA UNIVERSIDAD ES UN SER IGNORATE TORPE,
CERRADO , BRUTO , ESTUPIDO , SOEZ , REPUGNANTE

-QUE ES PERUANO EN ``LATÌN ???

*``INDIUS HEDIONDUS MONUS``

¿ COMO RECONOCER A UN PeruANO ES LA COSA MÁS FACIL, AQUI CITAMOS SUS PRINCIPALES CARACTERISTICAS:

0- SON FEOS, HORRIBLES, ABYECTOS, INSIGNIFICANTES...HEDIONDOS
1- SON MARRONES, COLOR CACA, TIRANDO PARA COBRIZOS, PARECEN MOJONES
2- SON ENANOS, 1M50 A 1M60, PARECEN DUENDES ANDINOS
3- SON PATAS CORTAS O PATA CHUECA , VERDADEROS ENGENDROS DE LA NATURALEZA
4- NO TIENEN CULO, NI HOMBRES NI MUJERES
5- NO TIENEN CUELLO, PARECEN GUSANOS CON LODO
6- TIENEN LA TREMENDA NARIZ, DE CONDOR, O TUCAN
7- SON OREJONES, YA LOS ESPAÑOLES LOS LLAMABAN ASI
8- SON ACHINADOS Y NO TIENEN PÁRPADOS
9- TIENEN POMULOS SALIENTES
10- TIENEN LA CARA REDONDA E HINCHADA , ESTOS CARA DE GUANACO

Ich verstehe es nicht. Übersetzung?

A packerl fotzn is glei afgrissn

>I don't often have to deal with Prussians but when I do, I get angry.
It's in Oberpfalz dialect, Bavaria.

ich glaub es ist bayerisch
>i dont often have to do with prussia
>but when (i do) then i (?)

Well that isnt right. Bavarians famously speak a dialect more closely resembling Austrian German. The dialect closest to what we call Hochdeutsch is spoken in Hanover, which is in Niedersachsen. If you speak German, just listen to how the Bavarians or Swabians speak and it sounds nothing like High German. German is more closely related to what I mentioned earlier with Luther. Germans can still read the Luther Bible written close to five centuries ago because it greatly contributed to written German.

>ik heb niet vaak wat met pruisen te doen
Damn, i see now.

Welcher Oberpfälzer Dialekt?

Die Macher dieser Meme-Seite kommen aus Regensburg oder Schwandorf, meines Wissens nach.

Batschakn???

Ein Ausländer. Üblicherweise südostlicher Richtung.

Goddamn Regensburger, the Germans I have most difficult understanding. Also, i saw a niqab on a bus there.

Regensburg dialect is a special case in itself, actually. Lots of trade routes used to cross there, so Regensburgian dialect consists of elements of Oberpfälzisch, Niederbayrisch and Oberbayrisch, even. Hope you still enjoyed your time there, it's my hometown.

In der Oberpfalz wird eine Unmenge von Dialekten gesprochen.
Bin aus der Nähe Schwandorf. Unser Dialekt hört sich ungefähr so an:
youtu.be/aUZ7bfKEU5s?t=1m21s

Oh i sure did. Lovely city and i went to see the Walhalla too. Would recommend.
I'm Belgian btw, Flemish, and I've seen a bit of Germany already.

Weiß ich. Ich bin aus Regensburg und der mütterliche Teil meiner Familie aus Schwandorf.

Warum wird unser Dialekt immer mit "Hinterwäldler" assoziiert? Ich liebe unseren Dialekt.