27 and freshman studying CS

>27 and freshman studying CS
>one day the professor pulls you aside after class tells you you're too old to ever find a job and encourages you to drop out and save your money/time

Feels bad man, looks like I will be a forklift driver until automated into unemployment

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pTA0DSfrGZ0&spfreload=5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>things that didn't happen

Strange, my professor who is the most talented in the entire CS dept and is actually heading back into the private industry next year said I'll do extremely well. I'm 27 and have 2 more years until I get my bachelor's in CS.

go into computer engineering. that's where the real money is

you don't see any indians designing chips do you? it's all americans

I feel like I'm in the same position as you.
I'm 23 and I already feel irrelevant.

/thread

kek.

Fuck that shit, go to the countryside. Start a small business and continue programming there. Or learn Java and swift, start milking money out of dumb phone posters

I thought most hardware related jobs got shipped to Asia?

Guys I'm an 18 year old first year but it's too late for me because I have yet to begin dreaming in code while the rest of my class has...

*hardware manufacturing jobs

Not hardware design

can you dream in codes?

you will never amount to anything if you haven't been programming 6 hours a day since age 11

just do a burger flipping degree

>you don't see any indians designing chips do you?

Lmao, the semiconductor companies are even worse than software companies in replacing their workforce with H1-B's. Either that or you get the wonderful """choice""" of working at their site in Asia for 1/3rd the salary.

At least with software the companies in SV are obsessed with hoarding talented developers.

>27
>too old

Are you doing poorly? If not then fuck him. If you are then go to tutoring / office hours / study groups.

>If not then fuck him.

I'll take "things that never happened" for 600, Alex.

From my experience, the older people who have already held jobs/careers and have families tend to work the hardest in class, get the best grades, and move up quickest in the industry.

I guess the only exception for that rule are younger students who know (read: whose parents know) important people, but not everyone gets the luxury of meeting important people.

Same...
youtube.com/watch?v=pTA0DSfrGZ0&spfreload=5

C A R G O C U L T
A
R
G
O

C
U
L
T

Most people in CS are just following the startup money meme and pretend they just LOVE coding. Can't wait until the bubble bursts on shitty web startups.

Jesus Christ you'll be fine. Just be better than everyone.

My field is pretty competitive and I had a job lined up weeks ahead of graduation.

Just keep going. I know someone who made that career shift when he was 30. Started with an entry level position again, but he's advancing through the ranks much more quickly.

Yeah lads what's the go with start-ups?

They all seem to have a unexciting web app, and slick design / advertising.

Who is funding these companies?

Can something non tangible be tied to financial bubbles?

You know this is fake because professors want you in class so they reap their jewbucks.

got first software developer job at 30, no problem. then again, I have 3 degrees from top schools

A lot of professors aren't actually grounded in reality because they've been in academia their whole lives. Your professor is wrong, do not listen to him.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-com_bubble

>27
>too old

What the fuck? Tell your prof to fuck his old Fortran usin' ass right back off to two-thousand-and-never. You are never "too old" or "too young".

Your professor's job is to teach, not to give you depression. If you persevere, you will be fine.

bump

Sue him, it will work in your mind just like where this story resides

Tell the professor to go fuck himself.

Please don't do this OP

I think it entirely depends on what you did before you went to school OP.

I was in the military for 7 years, used my GI bill for my CS degree. Employers were very happy that I had verifiable work experience, IE I had solid proof that I showed up to work for 7 years and did not get kicked out. That may not sound like much, but you don't understand most millennials now-a-days. Employers do not want to be babysitters.

>work at their site in Asia for 1/3rd the salary
>cost of living is 1/10th

wtf would be wrong with this

Billionaires who are betting on what's going to be the next snapchat/IG/meme social network.

>unexciting

That's the way to go man. All those shitty, unsexy markets are ripe for "disruption" and you could be the guy to do it.

If you could be the inventor of an at-home semen collection system that's somehow reliable enough for a sperm bank to use, then you're a millionaire bro. Nobody wants to jack it to used mags at the bank.

>27
>old

nigga i'm 33 and I just started learning how to program

This. We have hired several highly intelligent fresh graduates before. Interview and whiteboard goes well, we offer them a very competitive salary for the area ($80k/year) then the first month they show up late 5 or 6 days and get the boot. Millennials are truly fucked.

I've been working since I was 15, but it's all been shitty low tier jobs like labour, warehouses, and retail

Buddy is about to graduate with a Bachelors in Info Sys at 34 and already has a job lined up in management through uni.

>Be one of the oldest in my course
>Received my test today
>Tfw to intelligent to get a wrong answer

>you don't see any indians designing chips do you?

>to intelligent

Chessmate.

Real money come of Electrical engineering, but people are lazy for learn Ohm's law and prefer coding.

you could kill yourself, you know
nobody is stopping you.

Why didn't you go study nursing?

>web dev and iShit apps
>programming

I'm a Pajeet with experience in the US and here in India. You're wrong about the cost of living bit. I'd say it is closer to half or a third of first-world living expenses.

>22
>Got straight A's from all programming related courses so far
>Have done a couple of practical projects
Yet I'm too autistic to apply for a job because every listing always has multiple frameworks or other stuff I've never even heard about and I'm afraid of failing.

I'm in almost the exact same position. I'm 28 stuck doing shit I hate and want to continue schooling for some sort of cs/engineering degree. I just feel like its way to late for me. I'm stuck right now and having trouble seeing the way out. The posts in this thread actually make me feel a little bit better about my position though.

I'm about to graduate at 34 with a computer science and engineering degree with a job lined up and almost no debt. I used to work construction. Fear is for faggots.

Just go to the interview and fail out some, learn what you need to bullshit a board.. or just read ctci and study it for 3 months, then you should be able to claw your way into any entry level job.

If you're over 18 and you haven't had an internship with Amazon or Google yet, I'm afraid to say that it's all over for you. Better get ready to work at Pizza Hut the rest of your life paying off your loans, or NEET it up at Mom's if you can't manage.

If he knew what the fuck he was talking about he'd be working not teaching.

don't listen to that mean professor user. he is probably asshurt that you are going to make more money that he is after you finished collage. you can do it!

>looks like I will be a forklift driver

Imagine all the people in the CS field who would gladly swap with you.

your professor is an idiot assclown for telling you to drop out instead of suggesting you switch majors, if there's another professor that teaches cs, then try to switch, otherwise I'd say go to a better school than the shitty community college you're at now

>be 18
>first year in CS class
>One day the professor pulls me aside and tells me that I should drop out to save time and money
>he says in three years everything will be done by panjeets or robots

That professor is a fucking retard and the only class you should drop is his.

27 is fine. At this age you have the mental discipline to take your classes seriously and set up the proper connections to ensure a job after graduation.

Bullshit. It's all about motivation.

Don't give up you cunt.

>be 7 years old
>teachers pulls me out of recess
>tells me to drop out since I am too old to code in JavaScript

My uncle got his CS degree in his 50's. You'll be fine nigger.

>mfw 20 and graduating from university in a few months
>already have a job in field
Being an American must be shit, mate.

>you don't see any indians designing chips do you? it's all americans
>chip design
>all americans
>not indians, iranians, arab majority
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously you have no clue, have you attended any IEEE conference? The arabs and Iranians alone out-number Americans.

Better than me. I'll be 27 in a couple of months and I can't even get a dev role. All I have is one internship under my belt which did everything from the PDLC except the coding aspects.

You will be fine OP. Keep moving forward.

You joking mate? I went from Marine to Private Military Contractor to Development/Security and this last phase was when I was (well, am) 30 with no college degree. Don't let may sayers discourage you, ever. If you want to be something or do setting then do it. Obviously be realistic about it and set propose goals/checkpoints to get there.

Everyone said "Ohhh they only hire super ninja SOCOM guys as PMCs dude just give it up" and I became one as a former regular infantryman. Then I said "I want to switch careers into my other passion: development/penetration testing" and worked hard to make sure it happened.

Do it my man. Honestly some of you guys sound like total pussies and I mean that in a loving way. It's not like you can rewind time and be 19 again. We all feel a certain amount of discouragement as we get older but you have to push on and achieve your goals.

im 19 what do

Yeesh I reposted this to fix my shit typos and still screwed it up, hah.

Well, as you can see: if I can't even type on my phone properly in the morning while taking a pre-commute poo and I found a way to make my goals happen then you certainly can.