As a programmer/gamer should i get the 1700 or just get the i5-7500

As a programmer/gamer should i get the 1700 or just get the i5-7500

Other urls found in this thread:

gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-GAMING-3-rev-10
techpowerup.com/138604/socket-pin-burnout-returns-to-haunt-lga1155
parallella.org/2017/01/26/a-million-core-risc-cpu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're doing alot of parallel shit then go for ryzen otherwise for a jew.

intel.

with amd you might get a bit better perf / $ but you will get that back from not having to replace your burnt mobo each few months.

If you plan on replacing your CPU in a year or two then it probably doesn't make any sense to spend the extra money. However with games now finally starting to take proper advantage of 4+ threads performance on the 1700 is probably going to get better over time and not worse like on the 7500.

nobody knows because benches aren't out yet you STUPID FUCK

This is almost unironically true

Depending on your budget, you maybe want to wait a bit for the 6-core Ryzens. No need to overspend on something you probably won't fully utilize.
Also, the i5-7500 is not competitive in the slightest. 7700k has a slight advantage over Ryzen because it has better single-core performance, but that's about it for Intel in this segment.

Spot the shill?

Not the OP, but also trying to decide should I get the 1700 or the 1700X
I'll be gaming and doing light encoding/transcoding of anime

1700x binned higher, better oc's most likely but it's all about that silicon lottery.

if you don't overclock the boost clock of the 1700 will be fine for you.

I'm wondering the same thing. We'll have to wait for benchmarks whether the XFR feature and possibly better binning are worth the extra $100.

Is OCing really worth it? And can I do it with this
gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-GAMING-3-rev-10

Lmao
95w tdp

i think it's been general knowledge xfr only adds ~100MHz above boost clock. but nobody is for sure yet.

i5 3270m 12gb ram
2 instaces of visual studio,1 linux vm and 1 android instance
Stop justifying

i would definitely say so with a cpu that has a baseclock of 3ghz lol

99% sure the b350 supports overclocking if the bios will let you do it automatically

if my ga-78lmt-s2 would let me overclock i have no doubt the b350 chipset will let you

OCing alters the lifespan but increases performance by a few bit, also heavily depending on the application/game

Undervolting though makes you save more energy

7500 is a higher number so it is a better choice

i really really like this meme

some mainboard like asrock taichi x370 claim on their site that they increase XFR boost to 136mhz by default

>alters the lifespan
say I do a conservative 3.4 base on all 4 cores with that mobo
will it last 3 years?

Replace 8c/8t with 6c/12t. I don't even know of any 8c/8t CPUs.
>inb4 fx 8xxx
Those are 4c/8t.

yeah but i was just considering the cpu by itself not necessarily motherboard implemented overclocking methods

Get the 1700, those 16 threads will be really useful for compiling huge projects and the difference in gaymen with a 7700K is minimal.

yes sure. but the chance that other things are breaking on your mobo are also a probability.. the chance of a dying CPU is muuuuuch lesser than a GPU for example.

you can easily depict cpu defects at the beginning by cinebenching and comparing

That's why I'm waiting for the NDA to drop so we know for sure what it does.

the 1700 has 8 cores
3.4ghz on all 8 cores won't hurt it at all. it has a base voltage of like 1.05v and can volt up to 1.35v~ pretty safely with adequate cooling.

overclocking doesn't really decrease lifespan unless you're REALLY pushing voltages.

you can scale both probably manually on a safe level

i think this is some advanced microcontrols which hasn't been done before, due to the many sensory equipment Zen received

>the chance of a dying CPU is muuuuuch lesser than a GPU for example
wait the I have a big chance of my 1070 dying just for OC even if I'm not increasing the power?

oc means you increase the cycles, more cycling means more wear over the long run

No, they're 4m/8t.

I think the most intensive game I'm probably going to play is Skyrim with a lot of texture overhauls and stuff. What should I get?

ok but I'm guessing since the 1070 underclock itself to 200mhz when not running 3d applications counters the extra 200mhz I push over its boost clock during load times.

A dragon dildo
so you can fuck yourself silly for wanting to play Skyrim

there is no formula. it all depends on how well built your gpu is..

it could be an effect outside your gpu-die, it could be a controller which facts up.

techpowerup.com/138604/socket-pin-burnout-returns-to-haunt-lga1155

Hey man, i haven't played it in a long while. Getting that nostalgia feeling right now. Plus the mods, man. The fucking mods.

>modding
get the 1700 since you'll be doing a lot of zipping and unzipping files ;)

A prayer book.
Bethesda games are utter garbage technology-wise.

Pic related.
But only the X370 and X300 support XFR.

Skyrim is the only one I like. The atmosphere of the game is unbelievable imo. The other ones like Fallout I honestly don't give a shit.

PLEASE SEND HELP

do i bite the bullet ant and buy a 400 dollar meme processor and a 250 memerboard ?

should i do it

i spent 1600 on the 500 dollar meme processor and 255 on the memeboard, 500 on a meme storage drive and 350 on meme ram

you can do it user

>only the X370 and X300 support XFR
I'm pretty sure you're wrong

Get the 1700, compile times will be way better for just about anything you are working on.

I've always wondered why anyone bothers overclocking.
CPUs literally never die, they always outlast their useful working life, and yet overclockers regularly kill their hardware within 3 years of use and they think that's acceptable.

I might very well be, but I thought I read that in the original article where I first found the picture.
I can't seem to find it though.

i killed a motherboard and a cpu with an overclock.
i don't even know how it died

Then make sure you play the Special Edition. It's 64-bit which helps when you mod the shit out of it.
On the graphics side, RX480 should be enough, but ask around on Sup Forums or Skyrim Nexus how it's doing with mods.

I can't find anything other than "rumors" about how only the X motherboards support it.
Doesn't make any sense for this to be true considering both B and X support OC'ing and the XFR is a cpu based thing not a motherboard.

You pushed the hardware past it's design tolerances.
When people say "silicon lottery" it means they lucked out and got a higher quality chip that can go way past it's design tolerances.

I've been OCing my 3570K to 4.2+ (dialing back to 4.0 during summer) in a shitty Asrock board since 2012 or so and it's still working perfectly fine. Only extreme overclocking with custom water loops and ridiculously high voltages end up killing CPUs that soon.

>managed to oc my 4670k to 4.5Ghz on a povertyfag $80 ASchink motherboard
>running without a crash since 2014
I got lucky I guess.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

$329 for meme cpu
$150 for meme mobo

That is all you need.

i want that 1700x tho

So which Ryzen cpu is best for primarily gaming? 1600X? OR should I just get 1700 for those extra 2 cores that might come in useful later.
Considering my previous cpu is over 7 years 6 old, the next upgrade might take another 6-10 years and they might actually learn to use more cores in that time.

i think i know my needs more than you know my needs

You're comparing a 4 core/4 thread 6MB cache chip (i5-7500) with an 8 core/16 thread 20MB cache chip (r7 1700).

Games would probably be about the same, although newer games may grow to favour 8 threads.

Compile times will definitely dramatically favour the Ryzen - it's got 4 times the number of threads, a cache over twice the size, unlocked clocks and a better stock cooler.

Looks like you're going Zen.

We don't know yet how much the difference will be in practice.

Doesn't really matter.

>We don't know yet how much the difference will be in practice.
I'm too much of a pussy to OC which is why I'm considering the 1700x since it's already 3.4GHz base core

>not falling for the 1024 core meme
You're missing out dude.

>tfw fell for the 4 core meme

4 memes 8 threads?

That's like, your opinion man

Haven't bought AMD since my Phenom 8450 because of this.

>1024
Try a million cores.
parallella.org/2017/01/26/a-million-core-risc-cpu/

Get the AMD Ryzen 1700X\
Take unboxing photos
Post on Sup Forums
Harvest 100 (You)

>7500 is a higher number so it is a better choice
Less is better, bro
lrn2read

out of those two 1700 will obviously be better but it's also way more expensive.

Not gonna lie, former AMD buyer here. It's been hilarious watching them crash and BSOD. In all seriousness we cannot let these guys get more cores.

i5 because Ryzen has heat issues and disappointing performance.

Actually, the 1700 only has 65w tdp.

And Polaris had a low TDP. That didn't stop it from destroying motherboards.

If only Intel could make a competitive platform.

Ryzen is not good for gaming

i5-7500 is good, go for it

Thats funny.

My old socket 939 opteron 175 2.2ghz 1.3v from 2006, I ran @ 3.2ghz 1.52v as my main rig up until late 2009.
Then I used it on and off as a test rig, and later just a retro rig. Always on 3.2ghz.

It still lives to this day.

Unless you TRY to kill hw with some insane voltages or shitty cooling, its not gonna die anywhere within its usefull life.

my i7 2500k has been overclocked to 4.7ghz for 5 years and its holding up fine.

>Look mom, I posted it again!

*it being benchmarks done by sandniggers with an old engineering sample, an outdated B350 board and slow-ass ghetto RAM

>4c/4t in the current year

for what purpose?

># gcc -j 16
I'd go for the 1700.

I think 4cores 8 threads is fine with a clock spee that can go up to 3.9+ GHz

Geez, I wonder who could be behind this...

If you want threads and virtualization unlocked, and for a great anti-semitic price: Ryzen

The alternative is a shit.

Ryzen is shit, look at the leaked benchmarks

>Leaked benchmarks in favor of AMD
>"W-wait for official benchmarks! It's just marketing!"
>Leaked benchmarks not in favor of AMD
>"HAHAHAH RYZEN DOA"

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
in stock today

You cannot be serious, obviously the ryzen chip for the core count alone

i have an fx8350. only one or two programs have ever used all 8 cores and theyre pathetic shit like minecraft map generators. really in todays computing single core performance is still the main thing.

>Sup Forums is one person
>spongeposting

Hitman 2016 spreads itself quite nicely in DX12.

>>spongeposting
Kek'd

Will the lower tier ryzens offer any gaming improvement from a phenom II 955 CPU? For example will a 4 core ryzen bottleneck the RX 480 like the 955?

Haha, no.

thats quite pleasing to look at. shame that its only games that really utilise multyicore cpus and thats due to frameworks mainly

>Intel DRM decoding

The 4 cores will be comparable to intel i5's. Probably pretty much equal since i7's have a slight lead.

I'd get the 6 core though. Sweet spot for value.

>As a programmer
you shouldn't need to buy a powerful CPU, unless you are doing high-perf stuff... and if that was the case, you shouldn't use CPUs anyway

it's people who keep their machines at high temps/too high voltages all the times the ones that kill hardware...
I myself run my llano cpu at 40% OC, and has been running great for 5+ years

Hell no man, I can 7zip pretty damn fast! Movie encoding is pretty good too, but mostly only when I use OBS with CPU encoder. It's not quite so good in Adobe Premiere.

There are advantages to having like 8 cores or even more. One of the advantages is that you can quite comfortably multitask without ever having to worry about CPU performance. You can encode, play GTAV, browse the web and do whatever you want all at once. Since you have the computing power for multitasking. With a quad core you'll be shit out of luck if you are playing GTAV because that will rape your measly 4 cores.

>doing math on a gpu
oh wait
what goods a cpu again?

true i forgot about multitasking. i always feel like i purchased a shit cpu but its never been slow or given me performance issues. guess its just because emulation is garbo on it and i need to boot linux to emulate arm android

>and if that was the case, you shouldn't use CPUs anyway
What do you smoke? Not everything in math is SIMD. Actually most things in high performance aren't (e.g. domain decomposition methods).