Web Assembly has reached the browser preview milestone...

Web Assembly has reached the browser preview milestone. This means that popular web browsers will soon ship support for it.

What is web assembly?
Web assembly means that instead of having to run a script in JavaScript on the browser, you instead run assembly code which is in a common instruction set that browsers can decode.

Why is this useful?
Instead of having to use JS on a web browser, you can compile C, C++, CPython, and other languages to a format that can execute in a web browser. Make scripts for a website in any language you want!

webassembly.org/getting-started/developers-guide/

hacks.mozilla.org/2017/02/what-makes-webassembly-fast/

Other urls found in this thread:

webassembly.org/demo/
webassembly.org/docs/gc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Doesn't this mean that browsers can run arbitrary compiled code on your web browser? Isn't that a huge security risk?

delet this

I can't wait to write super easy exploits and get in people's devices, nice

>ActiveX
sage

kek samefag fail

I'm also concerned about this
Isn't assembly harder for third parties to audit for security?

It's not actual assembly.
It seems it is actual bytecode, though, which means they will have to run some verifications on it.
Hopefully that doesn't kill loading times in the end...

it is.

Besides this, webassembly only replaces JS with something more aggressive. This means, it is shit anyways.

>Besides this, webassembly only replaces JS with something more aggressive. This means, it is shit anyways.

I don't follow.

Is it possible to run verifications on bytecode to make sure that it doesn't do anything bad or access data in a harmful way?

You can already compile languages like sepples and python to js.

No. It's a bytecode format that compilers can target. Think of it like pre-processed JavaScript. It skips the parsing and optimizing stages and is strongly and statically typed and thus faster.

Don't think it will actually replace JavaScript, though. It won't.
The only thing webassembly can do in the browser is provide functions that run webassembly code.
And those functions can only take numbers and return number. You want to do any kind of side effect, like attaching event listeners, doing XHRs, manipulate the DOM?
You can't. Not from WebAssembly. You still need JS for that and you probably always will.
As far as I know, not even strings are part of WebAssembly. Neither are objects. Web-Assembly functions take numbers and return numbers and they can't influence anything outside.
It's great for muh games and other applications that rely on lots of calculations that need to be done fast, but worthless for the average website.

but why does it exist when JS is the best language

>"""compiling""" languages to JS
Why not just cut out the middleman?

haram

As far as exploiting the VM is concerned, it should be possible, if you design the instruction set the right way. It's apparently far from trivial, though.

That's why I hoped earlier that it would actually store an AST, but the docs seem to imply otherwise.

No harder than minified JavaScript.

And Typescript

Ahahahha, no

You can easily de-minfy minified js.
Hell, even chrome console can do it.

You can easily decompile Java too. What's your point?

Congratulations, you know how to identify basic security risks!

In the same way that javascript is. Webasm runs in the same sandbox as javascript. No net gain or loss as far as security, just trading one language for another.

It already has more games than Linux...

webassembly.org/demo/

for webdevs exists a special hell...

Java applets were awesome as today there is no better game them runescape

>Java applets were awesome
Also insecure in the way of

I still play runescape sometimes.

I believe this is one prime motivation for webassembly.

Having to compile to JS has a lot of shortcomings, most languages only support certain language subsets (like Haskell with Fay, or C++ with emscript) because of JS limitations. Also the generated code is always slower than regular JS.

Webassembly would fix these issues.

I hope it will be possible to control js and wasm permissions separately using uMatrix.

With Firefox, anything is possible!

RIP JS
I
P

J
S

revert 2 leddit with your pondered and appreciable analysis, un-virgin

If it means I can write C++ with an API for DOM manipulation and threading, it sounds great.

JS is such fucking cancer that I'd never consider touching web dev stuff, and no, writing something that gets translated to JS is not in any sense better.

N-No! I swear I belong here, wait, I'll try again!

Uh... W-Webassembly is a botnet! It will fuck your PC! Windows and Macfags BTFO! WASM is a botnet technology and will allow attackers to discover your CP stash!
Of course the browser vendors didn't even waste a MILLISECOND thinking about security! WASM is just like a Java or Flash applet! Insecure! Full botnet access!

Also I posted an animu grill, that's proof that I belong here!

They're adding DOM manipulation in a later version

Have they confirmed that yet? I just heard a "maybe much later" when I last checked.

The World Wide Web was a mistake.
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee

*kisses cute grill*

webassembly.org/docs/gc/

Neat.
But until then... We're left with JavaScript and its horrible build tools that take longer to produce builds than million LOC C++ programs with lots of templating magic.

>Bytecode

So, it's Java by the back door?

React & Webpack are >fun

Does that mean this image is out of date?

Webpack is a mess. A maze of config entries nobody can possibly remember, magic that is never explained (especially in plugins) and go and fuck yourself if your app ever gets an actual backend so you can't use webpack-dev-server anymore.

Great, ad blocking is now made much more difficult!

You'll probably still want a therapist if you write wasm directly in bytecode.