Give me one (1) reason to choose gnu/linux over macOS, from a purely software perspective

There are none. MacOS is already perfect.

you can do stuff on it other than what pineapple lets you to

A repository such as AUR is easier to use and cheaper than the OSX store while maintaining a semblance of quality rather than trying to brag about "we have teh most apps xd"

In addition, gnu/linux takes fewer system resources while OSX takes dramatically more over time, so switching to GNU/linux will dramatically extend the useful life of your hardware

What other perspective would there be besides a purely software perspective?

>It's free
>You're not forced to run it on overpriced hardware without haxorz

people complain that OSX is restricted to certain hardware/expensive. that isn't a software criticism.

If the software is specifically configured to only work with certain systems, how is that not a software problem?

Linux BTFO!

That terminal emulator looks really juicy. What is that? The default terminal for MacOS?

iTerm 2.

certain software is designed to be only on certain platforms (i.e. photoshop). that doesn't mean the software itself is flawed.

>from a purely software perspective
That's impossible. MacOS is way way WAY superior.

Debian here.

MacOS is proprietary

>that doesn't mean the software itself is flawed.
>implying meme arrows

I wouldn't really compare the two, it's a different scenario. Restricting software to certain hardware is a lot worse than restricting it to certain operating systems. For instance, if Adobe decided to only offer Photoshop support on AMD GPUs, the decision would probably be heavily criticized.

it would be criticized for reasons that are not related to software quality.

There's Adobe products and easy full system backups with Time Machine. It's a decent UNIX-like OS if you enable root and remove the spyware apps like iTunes, Siri, AppStore, and Spotlight, or anything that sends a significant amount of your personal data back to Apple. I use Debian too and it's just as good. You have GIMP and you can just copy the home directory or use dd to clone your hard drive. If you really need Adobe stuff, there's PlayOnLinux and Windows VMs with a GPU passthrough. I've warmed up a lot to Mac OS X though because I like the UI, so I'm probably going to hackintosh my T420 and use it as my main laptop.

What is, in your opinion, software quality? Speed? Efficiency? Auditability? Low external requirements? License? GUI?

doesn't really matter, my main point is the distinction between software being 'bad' and software being restricted to certain platforms.

oh, woops, I must have replied to the wrong user

Well, it's not the hardware's fault, so whose fault is it if not the operating system's?

>purely software perspective

You mean from an OS internals perspective?

In that case, Linux is miles ahead of Mac OS, and even further ahead from Windows.

For example, Linux supports shitloads of cutting-edge filesystems that make your disk seem a lot faster, while Mac's HFS+ and Windows' NTFS are stuck in the 90s.

can we take a second to appreciate the fonts? idk if its the rendering engine or the in-house design of the fonts themselves but dayum.

yeah osx just has inherently superior font rendering to windows and most linux default settings

Monaco is a pretty nice font.

Use what you want, I don't give a shit
What's with this "use this, use that" crap

Lol right. The whole reason apple went with "retina" displays is to hide the hideous fonts.

You don't have any freedom on MacOS.

after doing a bit of reading, apparently apple deserves a lot of credit for what they did with fonts on any OS.

If they made MacOS a standalone OS you can install I would never run Windows on any of my computers ever again

Until you wanted to play some computer games!!!!'

Everyone would start making games for Linux and MacOS at that point. Windows would shrivel and die.

What mail client is that?

Not being gay.

It's compatible with more hardware out of the box.

this

8/8 bate

>A repository such as AUR is easier to use and cheaper than the OSX store while maintaining a semblance of quality rather than trying to brag about "we have teh most apps xd"
macOS is not limited to the app store.

>In addition, gnu/linux takes fewer system resources while OSX takes dramatically more over time, so switching to GNU/linux will dramatically extend the useful life of your hardware
This is bullshit.

>A repository such as AUR
>maintaining a semblance of quality

Is this what archfags actually believe?

Give me a mac and I will be able to compare it with my arch machine.

>A repository such as AUR is easier to use and cheaper than the OSX store while maintaining a semblance of quality rather than trying to brag about "we have teh most apps xd"

brew is a third party package manager that a lot of people use, its repository is also huge and you can install a lot of the programs from Linux.

macOS is actually very light compared to Windows, but the RAM usage is stupid high....

Two years from now unless you bought standard configuration, your hardware is going to stop working because it isn't supported in the kernel anymore.

MB Pro 10, 3: Nvidia gpu

i3wm

Samefag

>Linux supports shitloads of cutting-edge filesystems that make your disk seem a lot faster
thats changing with 10.13 and according to reviews, APFS>ZFS

Need a third-party package manager to add software, which creates complications (2 versions of the same binary, 2 things that require updating, etc). In Linux package managers you can just add another repository.

>Debian here.

just acknowledging the truth

macOS will get you made fun of on Sup Forums

how 2 rainbow apple
how 2 thin border terminal

?

>tards talking about muh package manager
>they don't know about homebrew
heh

brew install screenfetch

or brew install neofetch

gibs reinbow epple frieeend

I mean the system menu in the top-left corner

>every open source package can be built for almost any version of linux
>extended compatibility with windows with Wine
>100% compatibility of everything with QEMU/KVM and GPU passthrough
>aplel

This is just the start

>>every open source package can be built for almost any version of linux
same is true for macOS, most of it is actually developed on and for macOS and then the code is ported to Linux
>>extended compatibility with windows with Wine
wine runs on macOS...

Outdated as fuck GNU cli utils.

>things macOS sucks at don't count!
Not at argument.

>not free
>bloated
>no portage
>NTFS support is worse than linux
>itunes pre-installed
>gay as fuck
Why live?

sshfs

What about open Darwin? Can I install it on any machine I want. Would I be able to run shit like Xcode on it?

Touchscreens

There is no reason, MacOS is superior.
You should only use Linux if you ONLY do development / ops / watching chinese cartoons / ricing screenfetch boxes.
Anything beyond that, the programs are mostly shit.

Is there a backup program for linux that works like time machine? aka I plug in an external, hit back up now, and it backs the drive up and only backs up new changes. I don't want to be bothered with anything more than that really. Otherwise I'll just copy all my shit and put it on a drive without the use of any software.

rsync, but you haver to script it

One reason? Because macOS has a terribly nerfed DE compared to every single one available on Linux and Windows' shell. D

More reasons? Overpriced hardware and development-wise, Linux is more stable than ever and things are only looking up for it with Mir/Wayland and Flatpak/Snap. Hell, even Windows is undergoing mostly positive overhaul right now while macOS is pretty stagnant, only implementing gimmick features and copying what the others are doing i.e: putting Siri on the desktop.

And for GNU+Linux, you don't need to use the kiddy, unstable Linux distros unless you're trying to be a special snowflake. The only leftover issues on the mainstream distros is the lack of Adobe's creative suite and the odd driver quirks you might find. The latter which I personally haven't experienced outside of one fixable WiFi issue on my old laptop (which is actually fine now in Ubuntu 17.04's beta) and with an old NVIDIA card in a desktop.

Linux is also great OotB as opposed to macOS where you have to rely on things like Brew and Spectacle, the latter which ties back to the nerfed DE issue because you can't even snapping a fucking window with your mouse.