Regardless of which side we root for...

Regardless of which side we root for, can't we all just be happy that Ryzen is bringing competition back to the CPU market? Because competition benefits everyone.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1189916
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck this duopoly. I hope that ARM replaces x86 in the consumer space because there's more competition among ARM licensees than there is with x86.

yes

intelligent Sup Forums: nice competition .. i dont give a fuck about company fanboyism

mainstream Sup Forums: HAHA INTEL BTFO XD! CANT WAIT FOR THE AMD MONOPOLY THEY WONT RAISE PRICES LIKE INTEL WHEN THEY HAVE A MONOPOLY INTEL IS JEWISH NO I HATE POL I DONT GO THERE WHAAAA

/thread

>competition

there will be competition whether we like it or not, for real or fake, because of monopoly laws in the yieu-es-ay

remember back in 1997 when apple fucked themselves? microsoft was forced to step in and revive them, otherwise they'd be fined for being a monopoly - same would happen to intel

so yeah, intel actually wants amd as a legal shield of sorts, anyway. they would actually be at a disadvantage from this perspective, if amd were to off themselves

Intel > AMD tho.

i was actually wondering about this after using a pi3 for a while as my main PC. Are there bigger and better ARM desktops?

like could I get a single or dual A73 or something with 4-8GB of RAM for general use?

best I can find are things like:
NVIDIA JETSON TK1 DEVELOPMENT KIT: Tegra K1 SOC, Kepler GPU w/ 192 Cores, NVIDIA

NVIDIA Jetson TX1 64-bit ARM A57 CPUs Motherboard/CPU Combo

OH SHIT

I BETTER BUY RYZEN FOR MY DEDICATED 7-ZIP EXTRACTION MACHINE

I'm sure bigger, higher wattage, ARM processors for laptops and even desktops will be coming in the future now that Windows 10 supports ARM and even has win32 emulation.

>arm
still a corporation controlling the environment
RISC-v is the only answer

hey there Sup Forums lads, this seems like the place where people who know processors are. Is the FX-4300 a good enough processor for light gaming? The most I would want it to do would be to run multiplayer titles smoothly with low configs, Dirty Bomb, TF2, Line of Sight, Insurgency. I also need it to be able to run ARMA II in some capacity. Im thinking of throwing together the following computer for these purposes, so let me know what you think

Prices are scrounged from ebay. It is almost guaranteed that they will change from week to week. Here we go.

CPU - 56
AMD FX 4300

RAM - 22.60
KHX1600C9D3K2

Motherboard - 20
ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX

Cooler - 14.50
Deep Cool Mini

GPU - 69
AMD Radeon 7870

PSU - 20
Antec Earthwatts 430

Case - 0
literally any box i hope you have tape lmao

HDD - 0
steal one fucker

Build Total - $$$$202.10

I actually found a forum post from 2013 that kinda sinks my hopes --- arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1189916

Ostracus wrote:
Hat Monster wrote:
What does an ARM-based PCI-E motherboard - and the size and power requirements that implies - offer that x86 does not?

An alternative to the x86 duopoly?

Apple did that, and was steamrollered. SGI did that, and was obliterated. Sun did that, and was eaten alive. Linux did that, made no headway.

"An alternative" just isn't good enough. Even "as good as" is not good enough. Notwithstanding that the "x86 duopoly" has many alternatives already, as well as those who failed and sank, any competitor has to be "better than". It has to grow faster. It has to be more compelling. Windows NT came from nowhere and destroyed the long-established UNIX not because it was "good enough" or "nearly at the same level", but because it was "better than". In just ten years, UNIX went from being the alpha and omega of everything with real power, connectivity or importance to being obsolete.

ARM gets you acceptable performance in a very low power envelope. Toss that power envelope out of the window, as an ARM PCI-E motherboard would have to do, and you get "acceptable performance". ARM's finest compares moderately well with an Athlon XP from eleven years ago.

It's not "better than", it's "quite a lot worse than". It's "not nearly as good as". It's "we'll help separate stupid and money". Toss Ivy Bridge and A15 side by side and you're going to be questioning why you're even running the benchmarks.

Rubbing salt into the already gangrenous wound, there is no CPU upgradability on an ARM board - ARMs come as BGA SoCs. Your entire investment is obsolete next year and cannot be upgraded.

---

it comes down to the idea removing the only advantage to ARM. I guess I'll just move along to bigger SoCs.

user, just think.
Gzip-9 compression on all file system datasets forever.

>still a corporation controlling the environment
I'm not that much of a freetard, I have nothing against good corporations. ARM licences their architecture to a lot of people and their business model makes it so that they benefit when the companies they've licensed their architecture to are pushing technology forward, they depend on these companies to make their product more attractive to consumers. They don't care if it's Samsung or Apple or Qualcomm or who ever that's making the best ARM CPUs, they just care that someone is making better ARM CPUs. With x86, even a company with an unlimited R&D budget that wanted to make desktop/laptop CPUs couldn't because they can't get an x86 license. Honestly, I wish the government could force Intel/AMD to give out x86 licenses or something.

Intelfags have hit stage 4.
First there was denial, so much denial
Then came the anger
Then fear set in, though of course it was hidden behind a facade of more anger.
Now we're at bargaining and reasoning.
Not long now, soon will come acceptance, shhh it's all going to be ok.

The difference is that all those competitors to x86 that got steam rolled didn't have any well established market share anywhere before trying to compete with x86. Right now, ARM is dominant in the mobile market, Intel even tried to bring x86 to phones but failed. If ARM replaces x86 in the consumer space it isn't going to be because ARM replaces x86 in the same use case scenario that x86 processors are used in, it'll be because people's use case scenarios are changing. Microsoft decided to bring Windows 10 to ARM to enable more form factors for PCs, like convertibles and really small and cheap PCs. If something like Continuum on Windows Phone takes off (it doesn't have to be Windows Phone, Google or even Apple could make something like Continuum that takes off), people could stop buying x86 based laptops and just buy an ARM based phone and a "lapdock".

I agree and that post was 2013 so yeah.

But the pi3 is actually functional for general use up to about 6-8 tabs open. I would love to see one with 4-8GB ram, a SATA controller and a NIC.

If I didn't already have a 6700 K this would mean a lot for me, you do a lot of zipping and unzipping if you're a modder

The fuck

i literally do not care, but shitposting amd threads is too fucking easy.

At the only relevant resolution, with the exception of Bioshock, the 1700x performs on par with the other CPU. Why are those lower resolutions even included? Why not 1440p or 4k?

>iranian benchmarks using slow ram speeds

do better

>Because competition benefits everyone
No. Intel shareholders aren't happy.