So post your UMPC or shitty old hardware motherfucker. Lets get this started!!!

So post your UMPC or shitty old hardware motherfucker. Lets get this started!!!

>>ubuntu(laggy as shit)>>freebsd(quick but no driver support)>>tinycore(wifi was autistic)>>DEBIAN

DEBIAN BEST OS. XP+++ PERFORMANCE UBUNTU USABILITY.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y_LPP2Dr-So&feature=youtu.be
m.wikihow.com/Recognize-Autism-Symptoms-in-Yourself
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs),
comma.guide/vocative-comma/
grammar-monster.com/lessons/commas_with_vocative_case.htm
wikihow.com/Use-Than-and-Then
indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtube.com/watch?v=y_LPP2Dr-So&feature=youtu.be

m.wikihow.com/Recognize-Autism-Symptoms-in-Yourself

~Bumping my own thread god damn, what happened to /g obsession with UMPCs

should add anime into the symptoms as well.

My eee 701 is in the mail, it should get here Friday. I bought it for $35 on ebay because it was the first computer I ever owned (I forgot what happened to my original one though...) and I want one just for nostalgia/as a collectors item. Hopefully it's one of the models with an upgradable SSD, the ebay listing said it was slow to boot but showed it working.

I dont remember mine really I got it when i was really young had Dark Basic and wrote a 3d pong game though. First i probably used was some p4 dell optiplex though.

Also googled the specs is the 512mb ram upgradeable?

>Also googled the specs is the 512mb ram upgradeable?
Yes. I think up to 4gb. I bought a 2gb stick with it because for some reason, 2gb laptop ddr2 ram is like $15 while 4gb sticks are like $50.

2gb should be plently, what os were u planning to run on it? I understand if your going with XP cus nostalgia.

>I understand if your going with XP cus nostalgia.
Actually that's pretty much exactly what I was planning. I planned to install XP on the main SSD and try various Linux distros on an SD card. Also, I think Windows FLP (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Fundamentals_for_Legacy_PCs), which is basically XP, would be better for the eee.

Never new about that i think vivaldy still has xp support but im not sure

Win flp seems pretty chill.

>(I forgot what happened to my original one though...)
It was nowhere near the first for me, but same. I really thought that I still had it but nah, I moved recently and did not find it.

Its a pretty shitty device, frankly. If the keyboard was as good as on some better eeePC:s, it'd be a nice portable text editor and SSH machine or something.

Saw one of those Toughpads in one of those used laptop stores in Toyko, cost around 80,000円

So about 3 cents?

UMPC yes, but no old shitty hardware sadly.

>stop liking what I don't like! reee

The face of Sup Forums.

kek

aesthetic

Man I have such soft spot for everything rugged Panasonic.

fuck no, Sup Forums is full of fat autistic fucks who are still more men that that bitch, this is just a failed hipster attention whore

Here you go op

Grandpa here.

Can't see anything wrong with him.

Post your pic and let me judge you.

Google fat autistic neckbeard and there I will be.

Oh man look at all those results!

>BBC NEWS

comma.guide/vocative-comma/
grammar-monster.com/lessons/commas_with_vocative_case.htm
wikihow.com/Use-Than-and-Then

hows runescape at 5fps?

>caring about grammar on a taiwanese knitting board

kek, Sup Forums must be a pain as a english major

install htop-temperature

it became Sup Forums completely

what do you mean? why would Sup Forums care about underpowered mobile computers?

I mean this board has become Sup Forums's shopping cart and everyone that had a diverse interest in actual technology has mostly left

gotcha

Sup Forums personal electronics is in fullest force, but still UMPCs get me erect.

I bought in to the GPD Pocket scam already.

Don't get a early unit

I like the UMPC models that were put out at the time when they had a peak opportunity to gain market interest.
Don't care much for whatever is put out today because I'm worried that support and dev community will be shit

>put out at the time when they had a peak opportunity
so, now? because now we actually have competitive hardware for such sizes

Install gen2 tbqfh desu sempaitachi

>so, now?
too late
touch input smarthsit has taken the primary market by grip so there is no incentive to mass produce and spend money on proper design

UMPC will only be a niche
hopefully as prototyping hardware gets cheaper we will see good hardware but there is still the issue of getting a dev community interested in developing for whatever chipset and hardware will be there

runescape is 3 fps I think

Samsung NC10 netbook.

So slow but good battery for a power outage.

>In extreme cases, autistic people cannot comprehend that people have ideas that differ from theirs.

I want one of those Toughbooks for ham radio type activities in the field.

How's the battery life?

Horrible, the military carries a bag of extra batteries.

we're getting into shit like x86 tablet territory, which has all the software you could ever want. Touch is hopefully optional cause of how shit it is.

x86 tablets are proof it can be done in the desired size, now it just needs to be done on more devices with form factors that aren't utter shit

>x86 tablets are proof it can be done in the desired size
>what is gpd win
the Pocket will be probably the formfactor you are looking for

No shit. I never said modern UMPCs don't exist, I said more need to.

>more need to
but muh market
>protip, there isn't any
gpd even exist only because the device are also great for emulation/gayming, far bigger market

I never said it was economically viable, nor are you in any place to claim it is or isn't. You're just blindly spewing speculation.

There is a good bunch of bullshit in there.
Ok, which one of you made this?

>nor are you in any place to claim it is or isn't. You're just blindly spewing speculation.
Literary a deaf and dumb kid can see how many of them are on the market, how ridiculously overpriced they are and how badly they sell, you're just in a dream bubble

well as a complete product, maybe. Lots of the components are just repurposed phoneshit so it's not like it's some rare one off production thing.

>can see how many of them are on the market, how ridiculously overpriced they are and how badly they sell
Literally the logic of a deaf dumb kid.
>few companies try
>economy of scale causes higher prices
>higher prices cause people who would buy to hold on to their dough

literary means, there is no market for them, except neets who can't afford it
apple sells niche expensive products as well, but they are doing fine, because there's actual demand for their niche shit

Again, you're basing this on nothing but blind speculation. Come back when you've got market studies backing your claims.

So you think that actual competition and cheap prices would benefit it? You think the userbase for them is that big that there will be people buying new ones all the time and that it would in the end actually be profitable for the companies?

Lurk these threads more, you would have a better image of the whole thing.

So you think what a few retards spew on some obscure mongolian cave painting forum is somehow relevant in any way whatsoever?

The people here are the only ones who would actually buy it, other people just take a laptop or a tablet over it anytime. You won't fit a whole UMPC market between those.

Still waiting on that marketing research you must be basing all of this on. Surely you don't expect me to take the word of some random dumbass on the Internet.

The people here certainly don't have the kind of money showing up on their crowdfunding campaigns, but it is a limited market.

Probably less limited than the previous UMPC market pre-blackberry and pre-phone dumbing. People believe portable devices can be powerful and also have use cases for them.

No market research, just plain old logic, having been in the UMPC scene for over 10 years already.
So yeah, not basing those speculations of blindsight but actual experience.

You will understand once you start actually lurking the market for them.

>Surely you don't expect me to take the word of some random dumbass on the Internet.
Taking anything as true from this board/site would be autistic. I don't expect you to.

What's that device's model?

I've been lurking for years, I'm full aware of how things currently are. You need to realize that many people don't know that UMPCs ever existed. I've never encountered anyone that actually knew of them. Everyone who's seen mine is mystified by the fact that I have a Game Boy sized machine running Windows. If modern ones started hitting the market and they were well advertised, I could see them doing well. Hell even GPD seems to be doing great on the Win and I don't even know if it was advertised other than shills. I expect the Pocket to do well too, I don't see why others couldn't.

>implying a big company who does market researches all the time to expand their market would not have already came out with a viable cheap mass produced unit and not those expensive devices that we have gotten over the years (their research would have obviously showed them how many people would actually buy it if it was cheaper so they wouldn't have to limit the production and have a high price)

yeah but everyone knows what a blackberry could do, before it was android.

They will do well, I agree, but it's still not as viable market that it would be feasible for several companies to produce them profitably
The Win is also seeked after by the Sup Forums and /vr/ market and the Pocket will be the product for the /tpg/ like of.

But having several models from different companies, will just make them more expensive again, because people would buy even less of them from one single company for them to profitable.

>implying they want to bother when they can just keep churning out giant cellphones called tablets

What's BlackBerry got to do with this?

Different companies on the market would also push them to make the devices better

blackberry was effectively doing the work that was predicted the UMPC market would get in the late 90s/early00's. PDAs and them were trying to up power and UMPC was basically an attempt to expand it. Blackberry did the 'good enough' on a phone and conquered the market of both.

Now I'm not sure if the phones have just killed the market generally or moved in a different direction but that's all dead.

>Different companies on the market would also push them to make the devices better
Look at the tablet market, nobody is giving a fuck, they are just as good as they have to be.

Even if there was more market, you won't get better SoC from Intel, they are already as good as x86 in their power class and there would be nowhere as good as a market for them that there is for tablets right now.

that would imply that they could sell those better devices for cheap and profit in the first place

You've got to keep in mind though, those devices were shit even when they were new. Now, with modern Atoms, we're talking high end Core2 Duo performance in the palm of your hand.

SoC may be the same but it'd be in a usable form factor.

What makes you think they couldn't? I mean right now GPD has a handheld PC for sale that's cheaper than cellphones some people itt own.

nobody pays for cellphones.
they get them on contract so the price is abstracted away.
it is insane to ask 700$ for something with the processing power of a galaxy S3

And everybody who actually wants one in a usable factor will buy the GPD Pocket and be happy.
If there where two companies coming out with something like the Pocket, then they would just share the userbase, not gain more of it.

I know what we have available now, I'm not sure the cooling engineering and battery tech can keep up on anything remotely useful. I plan to downclock the shit out of my gpd pocket, I just want the fucking HD screen on ANY x86 portable right now. I bet if you had a VR or something on separate power you'd get enough battery life between them to be okay though.

Laptops are still pushing 1366x768 shit on anything

>idiots buy them on contract
FTFY

>he thinks paying 99¢ upfront is the same as paying 99¢ total
And Galaxy S3? There's no way 4 year old ARM CPU is on par with a modern Atom.

I'll be getting the Pocket but won't be happy. Content, sure. But someone needs to copy the VAIO UX before I'm happy with a modern UMPC.

If it can work in a tablet there's no reason it can't work in a passively or especially actively cooled UMPC.

it literally costs less that way.
there's also no way that piece of shit is worth 600 or 700$

My GPD Win won't go over 75C even on maximum load for long periods, doing something like emulation with Dolphin, it goes into the mid/high 60's, battery lasts using Dolphin for around 5-6 hours , no mods, rev 2 unit, the thermal limit is at 85C, it never throttles.

So I don't know what remotely useful would be for you, browsing the web with Chrome and 10 tabs, playing youtube videos and chatting at the same time, memory scales fine, no performance or heat issues, doing just as fine temperature and battery wise.

So I don't think the Pocket would be any worse.

>I'll be getting the Pocket but won't be happy. Content, sure. But someone needs to copy the VAIO UX before I'm happy with a modern UMPC.
that's the point, if there was something like a VAIO UX clone on the market at the same time as the Pocket, you would just buy that, like probably many other people, and both the companies would profit less than GPD would being the only one

>Laptops are still pushing 1366x768 shit on anything

if I want a vaio UX clone and 5 people want a GPD pocket, GPD will only make 5 sales regardless of whether or not a vaio ux clone exists

But they won't make 6 sales like they would now, because you are buying a Pocket and not UX clone. Get it?

what emulation with dolphin?

In this case, playing GameCube games.

KEK

Currently I use a netbook and tablet for whenever travelling. Also PSP and PSVita.
Most of my netbooks use is actually as a portable router and media server for the other 3.
It's kinda neat because I have it set up in such a way where if I want to have the netbook on standard wifi mode, I turn it on, and if I want it to an adhoc network when travelling, I turn it off. (using the Fn key toggle for Wifi)
If I ever want to actually disable, I right-click->disable on its system tray icon.
I found this out entirely by accident because the Wifi toggle actually just disconnects rather than disables the card. Dodgy as FUCK, but really handy in my case since I regularly switch between the 2 states.

I would prefer a UMPC though.
If I were to get one, I would replace the portable router+server functionality with a Raspberry Pi instead, then use the UMPC more often than I currently do with the netbook.
Not sure what one I would go with though.
Any good list of old, current and upcoming UMPCs?
Even something at specs good as or better than peak-netbook-performance days would be golden.
I could play Dwarf Fortress pretty well on my Samdung NC10 on a 2x2 world

I'm not that guy. I think most people won't settle for something they don't really want just because it's the closest thing. Nobody "needs" a UMPC. Just wait until a good one is out instead of wasting money lads.

Of course there is.

no

I wouldn't really call getting the Pocket settling, I've wanted a VAIO P for years and the Pocket's not too much more than picking up a used one. I would definitely prefer a UX clone though.

anyone planning to get this?

indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

>ARM
no thanks

I would fuck the ass of this trap

>arm
>qhd

>doesn't understand resource cost != only cost.
What is construction, R&D, software dev, feature dev, advertising, etc.

Retards like you are the ones that whine at a restaurants prices being 2-10x the price of the food.
No fucking shit it does. They need to pay for every un-used seat as well as you, your food, the staff, the heating and so on.
Same shit applies to hardware.

Don't think I am justifying them though, I don't and never will have one. Certainly not with current shit that is going on in those markets. (removing every feature ever, vendor / service / OS lock-in, hardware removal, forced touchscreen everywhere, etc.)
I'll wait for the smartphone meme to die before going near it, then they'll actually need to make decent shit again. Only a matter of time. It already hit saturation point, now it's just replacements from here on.

Is this regular Sup Forums member?
If so then I'm leaving this playground...

No, that's a degenerate, usually most of use are just autistic

>not installing Temple OS
wow, fage.
How else are you going to rape your ears at the OS sounds?

Thank god.
Thought I'm in a wrong place.