Is there a way to speed up my pc without using a ssd drive?

is there a way to speed up my pc without using a ssd drive?

would adding 16 gb of ram make applications open faster?

no

No

Just get a fucking ssd luddite.

Maybe

I have 2GB ram and and a 4GB swap on my SSD.
It's speedy as fuck and boots in 7 seconds.

I also have a windows machine with 8GB ram and a 5400RPM hard drive and it takes like 7 minutes to boot.

installing your OS on a fast USB stick is faster than any fucking 5400 shitty ass random HDD

buy a SSD u fucking retard

SSD isn't that big of a performance boost.

Software optimizations are really the best you can do.

Install Gentoo, compile everything with -march=native and -O2, use custom kernel tweaked for performance/low-latency, use quality software, have good settings for everything.

Dont listen to this impostor. -O2 optimizes for speed with the tradeoff of code size -y generates fater but larger binaries.
Startup time is dominated by the loading time of the application, so with a slow storage you need smaller code, as that can be loaded faster:

You need -Os instead of -O2

Also I'd consider using Arch, or killing myself, or simply buying an SSD.

Muh dick

Install 16GB of RAM, use a RAM drive to install whatever you want to load faster in it.
Or buy a small SSD just for the OS and gaymes.

use an SSHD if you don't want to use an SSD

Red LEDs

Why do people reply to this shit bait thread?

>16 gb
gram bit?

Ryzen

Someone stop him

Is this the new kpg thread

If all applications is loaded in ram, sure.
This was why puppy Linux was so fast.

>solid state drive drive
Fuck off to Sup Forums

see This is the only thing I can think of as well. Set up a RAM disk. Bear in mind that RAM disks are non persistent, so they will lose all their content when you power off your system.

To minimize data loss create a script that does the following:
- copy (portable?) programs you want accelerated from HDD to the RAM disk on bootup
- periodically copy changes made to the data in the RAM disk back to HDD
- copy content of Ram disk back to HDD when you shutdown your system

You probably can use taskschd.msc / batch (Windows) or cron / bash (Linux) to do the time/event based automatization and the scripting.

Keep in mind that this will only accelerate I/O (read / write) operations, and not shit that depends on your CPU crunching a lot of numbers.

LEWD.

Change your swappiness

You are aware that file doesn't get that much smaller that the arm swing on the drive is going to just grab it anyways. Or are you assuming magic fragmentation where the difference in size just pushes it over to a different framented part of the drive?