Why can't AMD create efficient chips

Why can't AMD create efficient chips

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/review/1345-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-1700x/page6.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ryzen runs cooler than intel counterparts tho

They can. Ryzen uses a lot less power than Intel's octa cores.

Ryzen is significantly more power efficient than Intel's chips.

This is one of the things that AMD actually scored a big win on.

But intel shills don't want to let you know that

lmao

>1700x overclocked at higher base than 1800x uses less power than 1800x

Looks legit.

Not really.

Prime95 has AVX instructions so Intel CPUs are doing twice the work and still using the same power.

You forgot to post a link to the article where they point out that this is a bug, friend. Don't worry, I gotcha!

Zen supports AVX2

Ryzen isn't binned. They all poop out at around 4 GHz at nearly the same voltage. So not unexpected.

What on earth are you talking about? Ryzen supports AVX and AVX2.

Zen doesn't have full 256-bit vector support so it's much slower when using AVX code.

This is why the 7700K 4C can keep up with 1800X when doing AVX accelerated encoding.

Please cease talking

although op and the post you're replying to is an obvious shill...
even in prime95 seems a bit wrong
how can 1700x OCd to 3.95GHz be that more efficient than 1800x stock?
load balancing bug? voltage bug?

Why can't efficient chips create AMD

They're off to a good start, anything else is just nitpicking

perf/watt of a 1800x compared to a 1700x is just shite.

Guess 3.3/3.4 is the voltage/clock sweet spot.
Should be pretty good for Naples

IF you pay very close attention you'll notice that the Ryzen processors have 8 cores, so it's effectively twice as power efficient as Intel.

Not a bug

>The load/store units are improved, supporting a 72 out-of-order loads, similar to Skylake. We’ll discuss this a bit later. On the FP side there are four pipes (compared to three in previous designs) which support combined 128-bit FMAC instructions. These can be combined for one 256-bit AVX, but beyond that it has to be scheduled over multiple instructions.

Zen just doesn't have the resources for running AVX code as quickly as recent Intel CPUs.

>good start
>8c/16t
>using more power than a titan xp

Eat shit.

Having twice the power efficiency per core of intel is a good start.

Imagine what the 4 cores look like, if the 8 core ones match up with the 4 core intels.

lol twice the power efficiency.

Only in AMD dreams.

I guess Intel using more power than a 512SP GTX480 is much better.

5960x has 8 cores too
so what?

>much better
It's less than half for almost the same amount of performance.

Yeah but the Titan XP is actually Nvidia's flagship for industry card.
RX480 is a poorfag gayming card.

What people don't understand about AMD, and in this case, ryzen (though it basically happens every time). They make budget chips. Ryzen is a more viable series of chips, but it's still budget. They can perform perfectly well in a lot of cases, but rest assured you're giving up features if you don't go with intel. Which to be fair, in a lot of cases is going to be a reasonable trade-off, if you don't want to spend an extra $200 on a purchase with a 4-5 year lifespan.

So underage, also unable to read.

The 5960X costs $1200.
And performs worse.

>I compare apples with oranges, so you're underaged and can't read

Please fuck off.

>Why can't AMD create efficient chips

They can, what they can't do is make a chip that runs efficiently on Intels compilers, due to it gimping performance if an AMD cpu is detected.

AMD should just change the cpuid string to GenuineIntel.

The difference is that the 8-core AMD chips struggle to compete with 4-core intel chips on everything except highly multithreaded tests.

Call me back when 1AMD core == 1 Intel core.

if you pay very close attention you'll notice price is not the point of the discussion

Is this a thread on power efficiency because it's an 8 core CPU which isn't comparable to a GPU. The power consumption cost isn't that detrimental if you know what you're doing in terms of power supply and performance usage

The 8 core doesn't match up with intel 4 core at all for productivity

Everything is related to money. If you discount money you're retarded.
The context will always be money, money will always be important, and discounting money will always be a stupid thing to do.

Look, I can cherrypick where it comes close and beats a $1700 10 core Intel too, architecture and workload is quite the funny thing.

7700k for work is a joke, unless your work consists of running SuperPi or some shitware MediaEspresso encoder from 2006.

>The power consumption cost isn't that detrimental if you know what you're doing in terms of power supply and performance usage

But user, it produces double the heat too. And I don't want to run 2 space heaters simultaneously on my 1000w PSU.

>Call me back when 1AMD core == 1 Intel core.
That's now, as the 5960X is beaten.
Call me when intel releases a 8 core at below $1200

>Ryzen is a more viable series of chips, but it's still budget.

They are targeting performance segment server platforms with it, so no, not really.

However, Ryzen does have the best performance / space combo (slightly worse per-core performance than Intel, but it has twice the cores to use), which what matters for servers.

Did anyone do x264 video encoding tests yet? I wonder how those stack up to a 4c/8t i7.

That's now too with the inevitable price cuts. Thanks AMbros

Zen is all kind of weird, does balls deep in integer operations like transcoding and SHA
But does like shit in another integer operation like winrar.

I don't know how this can be explained.

Possibly cache misses all over the place in Winrar, but why though.

>Everything is related to money

This is a fallacy. Fundamentally technology throughout history has been democratized as a driver of performance and utility. Tech as a science before a means of subsistence through scarcity.

Opening affordable performance to level a standard and broaden the ceiling to the general public isn't "discounting money" (which is an oxymoron).

But it hasn't happened. So..

Well then AMD has truly failed.

Intel never does any price cuts, that's like paying ransoms for hostages and you're just a troll shill

If there is adequate competition. It's only logical to cut your prices in the face of losing market share.
It's not rocket science, If AMD doesn't manage to force Intel to cut prices it's a failure.

Intel doesn't cut prices even when it's getting its ass kicked, look at K8.