DE Thread

What DE does Sup Forums run and why? I've used Gnome, and found it buggy and slow, Unity is for N00bs and Cinamon is ugly af for starters.

The only DE that looks halfway decent is KDE Plasma. XFCE is ugly. The true /master race/ desktop is Openbox however.

Which version of Gnome did you try? I haven't found Gnome to be buggy since the early versions. KDE Neon isn't too bad if you can get it's settings under control.

>implying I use a DE
I use i3-gaps as my wm

>having autism

I unironically think everyone should try i3 when choosing a DE, because they might realize that all they really needed was a WM and maybe a file manager on top of it rather than a full DE.

i think it's gnome flashback metacity.

Xfce is highly lightweight, modular and easy to use unlike anything else

>requires 150MB of disk space
Dropped

I use xfce and it's nice, I've never had issues with it.

I run MATE, mate.

aero

>XFCE is ugly

WTF I hate XFCE now!?

fellow poorfag i see.

>using a DE
nice bloat retard

KDE Plasma
>GOAT quicklaunch
>Comes with GOAT archive manager & GOAT file manager, and both integrate well into the DE
>Nice and snappy if you run it on a decent machine and are capable of turning off desktop visual effects
>Flawless in openSUSE

I've used most of the popular DE's for a decent amount of time, and many of them are respectable. But I keep going back to KDE in the end.

I applaud your style, and have a lappy with the same cpu and res, a dell inspiron, was slow af until I gave it ridiculous ram and a ssd

>using a kernel programmed in C
Nice bloat retard.

xfce because it's easy like your mom and basic like your bitch

openbox

this is the only sane option

>Cinamon is ugly af
You can set up a theme with two clicks.

mate with the default wm replaced with awesome-wm

Just because your 2006 chinkpad can't run anything more than a glorified TTY doesn't mean we can't have functional desktops, user.

What DE does Sup Forums run and why? I've used Gnome, and found it buggy and slow, Unity is for N00bs and Cinamon is ugly *as fuck for starters.

Fixed

Star denotes your correction please refrain from making it again

Lumina

>using stock xfce

Xfce would be perfect if you could disable title bars on windows.

Xfce would be perfect if it had high dpi scaling

does anyone have good documentation for putting together a DE?

Like I need a compositer like X11/wayland/mir.

a desktop manager like gdm/kdm/??

a windows manager like metacity/mutter/cinnamon/plasma/i3?

and then my WM and DM need to be compiled to support my compositer

and then I may need to install slim or some other logon manager if my DM doesn't come with one?

I want an architecture diagram or even a decent tutorial or something
>halp

I really like kde but its a dumpster fire when it comes to stability.

i3

I've been running gnome for a few years now. On anything later than pentium d it's always been responsive for me. Maybe the animations just feel slow to you? You could try the impatience extension

How do I make XFCE look like this?

Gnome gets laggy and slow when you put addons on it and those addons do fucking shit your shit

budgie is a pretty good gnome alternative tbqh senpai

>Sigur Ros

What a fag

what web browser is that? links?

is it w3m for a web browser?

It's called Lynx.

oh. i've tried that. i like links2 -g for textual web browsing with graphics.

can you post comments in Sup Forums threads with lynx?

Windows Explorer

K D E
D
E
It's only one DE which i can call good

>he uses a de

Would you mind letting me know your GTK theme. I've been busting my ass trying to find one just like it.

not him but it's one of debian's defaults on Xfce called Xfce-stellar.

It's only GTK2

Why do I3 fags appear every time someone asks about DE choice? I swear it is the fucking arch linux of wms

It's the tiling manager that requires the least amount of technical knowledge to set up.

And children love their gaps between windows for desktop threads