How is this okay?

Which one is a better way of spending your money?

And what's the value of the same CPU in 18 years? And what was the value of the Camry back in '99?
No reason to compare them. Both have very different uses. Also you may triple that Camry's price because you will definitely run in some extra costs.

>And what's the value of the same CPU in 18 years?
Pretty much worthless. The value of a fast Pentium 3 processor today.

>And what was the value of the Camry back in '99?

MSRP $22,748. So the Camry has about 3% of the original value left.

But that's not a fair comparison because the Camry can still do the exact same job it did 18 years ago. It's 90% as good of a vehicle as those being made today (the 10% being safety and fuel economy improvements, assuming the Camry is still running properly).

A Pentium 3 from the same era can't do the same things a new CPU can do. You can get by with one for a few basic tasks, but it compares very poorly to the Camry in regards to practical longevity. Especially when you consider that the Camry can theoretically still be relevant even another 10 years from now.

I can guarantee there's some dealbreaker issue with that car, a 2000 camry runs for around $2-3k here.

This is in one of the cheapest cost of living states in the US.

but will the camry do the same job for 10 more years?

Nobody sells a working 90k mi camry for only $750.
The owner probably doesn't want to buy new tires or brakes or pass smog check or even renew his registration, so he's passing the costs onto the new owner.

I had a 97 Camry, fucker ran like a dream. I actually regret replacing it with 09, because the 09 has all this automated bullshit like turning heat off by itself and turning vent on by itself when I'm in the middle of traffic, giving me a face full of fumes. Fuck modern cars.

The car, even though you'll likely have someone else's mess to clean up. Don't be a robot that doesn't drive.

this will probably make the car faster

Theoretically, yes. If the miles are correct and the proper maintenance is done it will do it no problem. I drive a 1990 Grand Marquis every day and have no issues.

It depends on which one you don't have.
Having a car makes it more likely to get a job as you can get to work on time and you can apply in a wider area.

Having a fast computer could mean you get stuff done faster and you have more time to screw around on said job.

If you don't have either and only have money for one, then I would get the car.
Then get a job so you can get the CPU.

I call bullshit on the 90k miles, theres no way. Must have altered the miles somehow. Shitty car from 1999 only having 90k miles, I don't see that being possible.

Some people are talented enough make more money with a good CPU than they would with a shit car.

>1990 Grand Marquis
Why would you want to drive such an old car as a daily driver? Cant you do better?

You don't exactly need "new" tires. You can get used ones in this area for $20 each that still have good tread on them. Brakes are not very expensive either, maybe $40.

Registration isn't very expensive. $21 in this state.

So even if you spend $250 on these things you'd still be under the cost of the CPU.

when I bought my 1995 Taurus in 2015 it only had 87000 miles

>old toyotas
enjoy your rust

grand marquis and crown Vic's are extremely comfortable rides

It's very reliable and the parts are extremely cheap. It has a very good support community in the form of grandmarq.net that allows me to do most maintenance myself. It is getting a bit long in the tooth, so I plan to move on pretty soon. I've been driving it since 2007.

Name a modern car that's objectively better than one of it's predecessors.

Best argument so far.

>grand marquis
From the looks of it, that model year doesn't look like it handles well, how is it comparable to a crown vic? Aren't American cars the antithesis of comfy? I always hear that you should go with an accord or camry if you want comfy.

A better question is why buy a modern car when one can get a nicer older one for less?

Not everyone lives in the North.

When they are new or maintained well. Of course so are W123s, and they get 30 mpg.

It happens all the time. Either the car gives them trouble and it's out of warranty or the person just didn't drive so much.

Do not buy cheap cars unless you can afford to have it fail.

/tpg/ would love you.

That's relatively cheap to repair. The engines will run forever in those things

who cares? Car still runs the same.

If you're a not in the business of utilizing the CPU for greater good, then the better investment is really '99 Toyota Camry with 90K miles.

It will last atleast few years and you can resell it again for around same price.

There are no objective truths. We live in an era of alternative facts, man.. I dunno, the new 2017 Camry looks like a Lexus and is prolly gonna drive like one, looks like they're trying to trickling down the luxury now. If I were to buy a 20-30k car off the lot right now, I'd probably go with a Mazda 6. Isn't that a pretty solid all rounder?

>old man car
>"i wanna look like a cop" the car

I'd pick the Camry. I mean, my computer ain't superfast but it works pretty good. A car would be more useful (and cheaper), even if it's a rustbucket. Besides, i currently drive a 1994 Ford...

It handles great for the kind of driving a person would expect to do in such a car. Don't expect to take it out for autocross.

It's extremely similar to the Crown Vic from the same year. Only difference is some luxuries and a slightly different gear ratio.

late 70s/early 80s g bodies are the comfiest cars by far (monte carlos, cutlasses, etc). They dont go fast, burn shittons of gas, and they dont really handle well, but they're amazing vehicles, each with its own personality

Old men don't drive these cars any more. They are more popular with millennials now who want the "old man car" look.

The Camry has a certain Office Space-core look about it that might be appealing to a select few on Sup Forums who want to pretend they are working for Oracle in 1999.

Because old cars aren't comfy, despite what you poorfags/autists say. I remember riding in old GM sedan pieces of shit that my gram and mom used to have, comparing my memory of those cars, today to a modern Camry definitely gives me an appreciation for modern comfort.

Common mistake in buying old japanese cars. Don't forget to look at transmissions for that model year as well. There are many many more components to a car than an engine. You also have no idea how the car was maintained other than maintenance records. Oh yea, and most will "run forever" if you swap the head gasket once or twice.

You will never own a Mercedes.

Transportation is. If you live in a place like New York where it would be pointless to have a car then NO.

I own the 1990 Grand Marquis and you are correct. You'll notice I never mentioned ride quality because once the car gets some years on it it will reduce significantly. I could probably replace the suspension and improve it but I'm not ready to spend the money on that since what it has is good enough.

I've ridden in several new cars and they easily beat mine in terms of ride quality.

However... I prefer driving my car. It's not so much about the smoothness of the ride but the quality of the driving itself. Hard to explain.

Quality cars are now "old man cars"?

You get used to all the quirks of your car and you prefer it even if it's not the most comfortable to drive.

Wrong you need to leave the basement every once in awhile. Millennials are into ricing their fucking cars like the Japanese.

There is going to be something wrong with that camry
there is no way its in good condition with 90k miles for under $1000

I just bought a '99 toyota avalon with 70k miles for $4000 and that was a pretty good deal for a mechanically clean car.

>18 year old car
Probably half the motor has to be replaced by now

Well, that's fine. Difference of perspective on what a car outta be. For me, a car is first and foremost an appliance. I sometimes have to drive hundreds of miles. Give me a Chevy Malibu, Camry, Sonata any day of the week. No compact shit.

>a certain Office Space-core look about it that might be appealing to a select few on Sup Forums who want to pretend they are working for Oracle in 1999.

I chuckled. Is office-space-working-for-oracle-core a real thing?

funny Im actually both people you quoted. 90s toyotas have a reputation for being extremely reliable vehicles with regular maintenance that you need to do on every vehicle anyways. I've worked in mechanics shops in the past, and regularly saw toyotas with 800000km+ on them (same with 90s gmc sierra's fwiw), with no more than shocks, struts, tie rods, and timing belt being replaced every 100k or so.

I would never want to own a mercedes

forgot new batteries, batteries dont last that long either.

I would have about 8-10 low class cars in my garage in the next 5 years if I followed this logic. Where the fuck would I park these pieces of shit that nobody wants

The daily old tech threads seem to suggest so.

What's a fun cheap manual car if I just want to learn to drive stick?

BMW Z3M. Limp to a dead mall with a huge parking lot and go for it. That's how I learned.

Just go to craigslist and select manual transmissions under 2k and have a blast. Buy from someone who is willing to test drive it with you, and know what questions to ask. If you have no idea what you're doing, some people may not let you test drive it.

Yes, Camry's are pure normcore.

>Millennials are into ricing their fucking cars like the Japanese.

I'd say you need to take your own advice, man. Ricing has been on a decline for years. It peaked in the mid 2000s.

standard civics are really easy to drive and good to learn on, and you can get used ones for like 2-3 grand. I wouldnt exactly call them good cars though, and its almost guaranteed to give you some sort of problem at some point

well I don't have a driver's license so the car wouldn't do me much good

tfw you were an active member of anti-rice.com and a tropical fish keeping community. Forums were the days man.

Those were the days.

even in california, the whole DL application costs $33, there's no excuse to not have a DL in the US.

This. Who the hell wants a $750 liability that you know nothing more of than the content a Craigslist post? Also, even so, the above is market price, and the below is a "good deal" on craigslist.

Why is this a thread?

>northern cucks have to worry about rust

I don't either and that hasn't stopped me from driving anywhere

Worth it to not have to hear that godawful southern drawl

I think there is something to be said about the idea you can buy an entire freakin' car for the cost of a CPU that most users are only going to use to play vidja games.

what is the "civic for 3k" of processors?

used to be Vishera

>used BMW
>cheap

kek
be get ready to spend 2k for shock absorber replacement

Is it news that you can? Is it any wonder why people don't?

The car will always be a better investment.

>investment
ITT: Poorfags, sour grapes, and country boys.
inb4: I need to drive to get a job! I need someone else to give me purpose!

We'll talk when you get a real job.

Always amazes me how much cars are worth after just 10 or more years, all that engineering in creating the engine, transmission, body, interior, etc for it to end up as nothing more than scrap. I can get other products have the same amount of thought going into them too such as processors, but cars have a huge amount of manufacturing put into them that are incredibly intentsive. All the parts that have to be casted, machined, finished, components that have to be sourced across the world, it just seems weird to me how cars are seen as a product as any other with a shelf life and aren't valued that much.

>But that's not a fair comparison because the Camry can still do the exact same job it did 18 years ago
I guess you cant expect much from Sup Forums when it comes to vehicles.

I'm Jewish and make money for myself. Come at me McFaggot.

your post is bullshit

>and the proper maintenance is done
remind me of the regular upkeep costs associated with the comparative item in the OP.

>6900K
WHY?