Rust

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

download.servo.org/nightly/linux/servo-latest.tar.gz
blog.burntsushi.net/ripgrep/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O._Brennan
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing

>Two years since release and no serious real-world usage.

>Still impossible to compile to bare-bone ARM microcontrollers.

It's pretty much DOA.

>let's prevent C rookie mistakes by enforcing autistic pointer lifetime limitations
>what's that? explicit pointer lifetimes are making your program needlessly complex???
>oh what's that? you know what you're doing and you don't need you be handheld by your compiler?
>FUCK YOU!!!

SJWs tried to write a language and turned it into a safe space for computer illiterates.

Some of the Rust Team members have no systems programming experience and are are Ruby on Rails and Ember.js contributors.

Literally web developers who think they can replace C/C++ and Haskell.

Mozilla underestimated how hard their design would be to implement.

Too high level for systems programming, too low level for application programming, not expressive enough to be a good functional programming language.
Basically, it's alright, not good/relevant enough to radically replace the fields it targets

/thread

Why is the community "controversial" ? I've heard there is some bullshit over there but what is it ? quick rundown?

if you're not an LGBTQQIP2SAA+ ally, they don't want you contributing to their language or writing code in Rust, and they include this specifically in their code of conduct, which also applies to all languages written in rust.

>which also applies to all languages written in rust
"For other projects adopting the Rust Code of Conduct, please contact the maintainers of those projects for enforcement. If you wish to use this code of conduct for your own project, consider explicitly mentioning your moderation policy or making a copy with your own moderation policy so as to avoid confusion."

I hate CoC's as much as the next guy, but the CoC isn't like the GPL

>CoC
Lol sounds like the cocktail, the human penis

Fuckitb phone corrector guck you goggle and ur piece of should os

>SJWs
Not an argument.

In reality, it's only major use has been Servo, a half baked engine that hasn't even made nightlies yet.

>want to do pointer shit
>YOU CAN'T BECAUSE IT'S TOO UNSAFE
>have to do tedious slow pointer shit instead

everything

Nothing actually.

NSA shills are trying hard to prevent Rust because it's against their interest. Rust makes it harder to produce unsafe programs.

>he thinks two years is a long time after a stable release for industry adoption

It's actually getting adopted by more and more companies.

>NSA shills are trying hard to prevent Rust because it's against their interest.

Klabnik is that you?

Please go back to Ruby on Rails and never come back.

Yeah, the community team and the other retarded actually-do-nothing teams members.

This

Yeah, sure.

Spotted the Web devs

>>SJWs
>Not an argument.
>Implying

Nice try at reverse psychology.
CIA wants SJWs in every corner.

download.servo.org/nightly/linux/servo-latest.tar.gz

Those aren't Firefox nightlies.

It's a new rendering engine, that's an immense change and not going to be in Firefox any time soon. Servo's URL parsing library is in Firefox, though.

Regardless, I'm actually more excited about Servo + Browser.html than Servo + Firefox.

Me too, it's really exciting to watch them do nothing and die.

That's a strange thing to find exciting.

> It's actually getting adopted by more and more companies.
Who and doing what?

It takes a while for languages to get adopted, but the real measure for even basic viability is whether they actually DOMINATE one or another niche.

If they don't the bigger languages will fuck them completely once one or another okay lib for the same niche is ready.

/thread

Is there any big projects (not from Mozilla or anything for Firefox) made in Rust?

Better yet, is there any big project made in Rust that couldn't be made (or optimized for their situation) in other languages?

ripgrep is written in Rust, and is faster than essentially every other grep tool. It could have been written in other languages, but wasn't.

Diesel is a SQL ORM that takes special advantage of Rust's type system. It's immature right now, though. While using it for my personal projects I had to step outside the type checking a few times to do things the weren't yet supported by the library. Rust is also missing a specialization feature known as "lattice impls" that will allow Diesel to compile time check a wider variety of queries.

I use ripgrep every day, and have high hopes for Diesel to be the best SQL library there is once it develops a bit more.

Dropbox.
>is there a language that's more-than-turing-complete?
what did he mean by this?

Sure Rust offered something special to be used in those projects that other languages couldn't offer, that's what I'm asking.

Like he said

> have high hopes for Diesel to be the best SQL library there is once it develops a bit more
I don't have any hope before 5+ years. This isn't even as good as many of the early Scala SQL interfaces used to be about as many years ago.

Granted, it has a harder problem to solve - it can't even abstract some DB specific stuff through existing mature JDBC drivers... but that just means it'll probably take even longer to mature.

> Better yet, is there any big project made in Rust that couldn't be made (or optimized for their situation) in other languages?
Haven't seen anything like that.

As much as I wish the newer, more functional languages success over the old crusty fossils, Rust just seems to not really make a good case at all as for why you'd want to use it.

It doesn't need to. C and C++ make Rust's case for it.

>ripgrep
Hobbyist project, not exactly large, and searchers written in C++ outperform it in benchmarks that aren't blatantly rigged

>Diesel is a SQL ORM
Those things are snake oil, user

>Dropbox
Written in Go and they've posted dozens of blogs about how they moved to Go from Python

>he doesn't know that dropbox moved to rust
lol

They didn't move to Rust.

>real existing highly useful programs are snake oil
huh... really makes you... how to day.... /ourthink/

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

>blatantly rigged
I've tested it myself on my own filesystem, on the type of queries I do all the time, and it is faster than at least GNU grep and Ag almost every time. The author did a fairly detailed write-up of his own benchmarks and the optimizations involved in each test: blog.burntsushi.net/ripgrep/

Do you have a link to some benchmarks where ripgrep performs poorly?

this

Rust is a cumbersome language.
There are a few things that make it good for general application development, like patterns, the match statement, and ownership.
But overall, Rust leads to ridiculously verbose code for no real benefit 99% of the time.
It's object model is shit.
Let bindings are autisticly verbose.
To do anything meaningful you need unsafe blocks.
Rust uses macros for just about everything, and Rust macros are even more unreadable that C/C++ macros.
For not being faster than C++ it compiles 5 times as slow.
The only people who use Rust are brainlets who can't into C/C++.
It's not worth it, no one uses Rust outside of Mozilla.

Hello NSA employee.

Not an argument

Not an argument.

Not an argument

Nodham Armament

nod an argumend

C/C++ will never go away no matter how hard you wish for it.

Rust is making them go away since it perfectly fills both their niches and then some while also being simpler and smaller than even C, with fuckall undefined behavior unlike C.

Every language has undefined behavior.

No.

>making c/c++ go away
HAHHAHHAAHAHAH
Yeah no. In your dreams shill.

>also being simpler and smaller than even C
No sane person could possibly believe Rust is simpler and smaller than C.

This so much

This, shills are pathetic.
C is the epitome of simplicity, in fact it sacrifices literally everything for this.
C++ is a whole other clusterfuck however.

Rust is more widely used than Haskell

You don't need system programming experience for most of the bugs. 99% of the language is in the standard library and the core is only touched by very experienced people

>CIA wants SJWs in every corner.
Are you kidding the intelligence community is even more conservative than the army

autism

>To do anything meaningful you need unsafe blocks.
What the fuck are you talking about. If you don't do kernels or drivers you don't need unsafe block.

So what are you doing instead and why are you using rust for it?

>literally every copy of firefox contains rust code
>firefox codebase contains a copy of servo
>no real-world usage

???

Literally everything else

The head of Obama's CIA voted for a fucking communist party
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_O._Brennan

>having to waste time and energy overengineering your data structures just to convince the borrow checker that you haven't over-stepped your bounds
>not just writing Lisp or Go with a fast-enough GC

>C is the epitome of simplicity
nice meme, C was always just a necessary evil, now deprecated, but somehow a cult on Sup Forums

By the way go is amazing, I'm switching the whole PHP codebase of my company to Go.

>best SQL library

diesel is a funny way to spell persistant

Rust is the product of web devs trying out C and then saying "Why does it give me seg faults? How can be make it stop doing that?". So they made everything so deeply restricted that seg faults are impossible.

And then they have the gall to go up on stage and say that they've written a language has both safety and control. Yea buddy it turns out that's not difficult if you don't give a fuck about complexity.

The rest of the language is littered with syntactic sugar to make up for the owndership/borrowing bullshit.

Diesel supports joins.

Any language without pointers and strong typing is a joke for any """"""""""""""systems"""""""""""""" programming because pointers and data types are inherent to the operation of a computational device. Any language lacking strong pointer and typing support is not a """systems""" programming language; it's just a programming language for non-computer folk (i.e. data scientists, scientists, businessmen, educators, etc.) to compute their work. Which is fucking great and the only reason we really have computers, but these languages aren't realistic replacements for languages used to make computer systems.

Stop fucking telling me I can do everything I can do in C in your shitty language without real pointers. I can't, and you can't.

>I can't use C because I'm an idiot, so therefor C is a bad language because it doesn't hold my hand while it walks me to daycare
pajeet spotted

Rust has raw pointers and stronger typing than C.

Why do people keep posting critically in these threads when they know nothing about the language?

>pajeet

whoa cool
memes

i love memes

They think the language is too restrictive because they couldn't get their fizzbuzz to compile.

What?

/thread