WinlinmacOS

Why do people argue about operating systems when you can just use them all at once?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because your host is a shitty win10 machine.

install gentoo

people are arguing about daily drivers mostly. i do believe it's silly though. i strongly prefer using linux as my daily driver. on my machine i have a windows 7 drive and an ubuntu drive. i'm on ubuntu about 97% of the time just getting shit done. i boot into windows pretty much only for playing civilization (4 and 5) or verifying my box.com backups that are synced with my blackberry classic. use what works, when it works, for what you need to get done. i also have a 2006-era macbook (obviously running os x) that is basically just a toy now.

Doesn't Civ V run on Loonix natively?

Why would you want to run them all in a VM when the whole reason why people run them as their main OS is because winshit is spying on you and they are deliberately making it more awful by every update.

Because I don't have an Mac OS disc image I'm going to install loonix next weekend.

I've been thinking about this lately.
Building a powerful machine to run linux as the host and have a variety of VM's for different uses (school, work, gaming, xcode, etc) running through qemu.
How well do you lads think this would work? I feel like I'd be minimizing my botnet exposure since I wouldn't even browse the internet on the Windows or Mac VM's.

How is Xcode in a VM? Really need a new laptop, but the new MBP looks awful.

The new MBP (the one without the touch bar doh) is actually really good.
Been using one for xcode and light games (civ 5 and csgo) for about a week. Battery life is FANTASTIC and it's quick enough to get the job done.

That being said, xcode works well in my Yosemite VM. No complaints

I've been thinking about this too for years.
I think running some sort hardened barebone linux os maybe arch, that only has the needed drivers and software to run a vm. The os can be stored on a small ssd and the vms can be stored on another drive and encrypted.

works fine. VMs will give you 90%+ performance. The problem is graphically intensive work will NEED a PCI passthrough. It's tedious setting it up, but you can get it working if you have a CPU with iGPU and a dedicated GPU. If you don't have iGPU you'll need 2 GPUs (and maybe 2 monitors). Since graphics must be rendered on the host machine as well as the virtual one.
Read/write performance is the same as the host, so opening files, loading vidya and copying will be fine. The only difference is losing around 5% processing power and some RAM. Don't even try running it on 8GB or less.

Got it. Cost is no hindrance so this may be something I go through with.

I know right

what the fuck
I looked at that image, knew what it was, looked away, and then when I looked at it again I saw random doggos

via steam, but i don't want that shit on my linux installation. don't like WINE under linux either.

youtube.com/watch?v=dsDUtzMkxFk
A very basic tutorial on setting this up.

>inb4 that's an autistic furfag
Okay. But that doesn't mean he didn't explain this shit well. He also has a comparison video between the Host machine and Virtual machine.
CPU, GPU and Disk performance differences are up to 5% each.

retrofag

that is TempleOS and he managed to get the network working ... which is really impressive. You fucking newfag.

I started a new job, and they made the old workstations essentially glorified KVM terminals. Sometimes I boot into Red Hat and sometimes I like to use Windows. My work is saved into the same folder irregardless of what OS I use. Pretty damn comfy, and nice for testing different environments.

deeeeepdreeeeam

Because I don't want Windows, you goddamn reddit nigger. It's complete trash. I'll stick with Debian on my desktop and Mac OS X on my laptop. Fuck you.

There are no VMs in this picture.

Posting from a VM right this instant.

Get something consistently stable.
Your host will do everything you want it to but it needs to be available 24/7.
Think carefully about what you want on the VM and on the host.
It goes down: You lose your gaymen VM and Everything else that accompanies until you can fix what Arch updated.

Your GPU supported VM can be an Arch distro though.
And you get snapshots to quickly fix anything broken "before" it breaks.

because your macOS VM performs like crap unless you're passing through a GPU.

i already am though. i just love to troll.

how is your first day?

The argument is that currently, Windows and MacOS are not to be trusted as host operating systems. I have a Windows VM and Wine for software compatibility like Office programs, but Microsoft and Apple can stay the fuck away from my bare metal.

/thread

shut the fuck up windows 95 looks amazing

use debian, trust me

Since when TempleOS have networking?

>he's not a competitive OS arguer

He implemented it.