Why are used thinkpads more recommended than Chromebooks on here? For $210...

Why are used thinkpads more recommended than Chromebooks on here? For $210, you can get a new Chromebook with a decent processor, a 1080p IPS screen, a good keyboard, an upgradable SSD, excellent battery life, good build quality, and it's new and has a warranty unlike some old thinkpad that you salvaged from a dumpster behind an office building. Used thinkpads are thick, have shitty TN screens, battery life is worse, etc etc. Women also won't think you're some freak using a computer that looks like it's from the 90s if they see you with a Chromebook.

>inb4 muh Chrome OS botnet
Installing another Linux distribution takes 5 minutes.

>Palmrest
Glad my new Chromebook comes with a palmrest! I was a bit concerned it didn't, given the shit build quality of any off-the-shelf $200 machine. ThinkPad or bust, faggot. Reliability doesn't lie.

Plastic piece of trash

Chromebooks are the most reliable platforms to ever be released. They just work. Not much except for a few niche programs that probably only your (((employer))) has seats for on a desktop or the company's laptop.

If you want a computer for gaymen you should kys.

Chromebooks are designed for k-12 schools. They're designed to hold up to abuse from children.

Have you actually read any reviews for the CB13? It has flaws, but build quality is not one of them.

Chromebooks are bought by K-12 schools because they're literally the cheapest computer with a warranty to buy in bulk. I went at a K12 school two years ago where everyone was given out Chromebooks -- you wouldn't believe how many of these things broke or died (hint: so many that the supplier stopped shipping replacements after half the school year).

>ThinkPad = "computer for gaymen"
OK.

It doesn't have the ~Lenovo~ or ~IBM~ badge so it doesn't make me feel like an important scientist supercoder astronuclear physicist working at NASA.

I went to my dad's company (he works at Nintendo). You wouldn't believe how many thinkpads they blew through. His office building was like Auschwitz for thinkpads.

>They're designed to hold up to abuse from children.
I call bullshit. I work in retail and I check and restore chrome books daily. I've handled hundreds of chromebooks from various manufacturers I have to restore them and psychically clean them. They cut the biggest corners on chromebooks so the margin the manufacture makes is better.

>buying a walled garden iClone
lel.

And I'm a thinkpad repair technician. I've literally had dozens of t420s come in in a single day.

But seriously, compared to $200 Windows laptops that aren't designed for education, Chromebooks are typically designed to handle wear and tear better. My n22 has a matte plastic finish that is hard to scratch and a spill proof keyboard. It's also THICC because drop protection or whatever. I haven't tested that though.

Anyways, the CB13 is designed more for enterprise than education anyways, this is irrelevant.

Google should have sent me one

I owned an Acer 14 Chromebook for 5 months and it was mostly good, the battery life was GOAT, performance was great, build was good, but the OS restrictions were so shit.
I had to change back to W7 in order to keep my sanity.

But it literally takes 3 seconds to disable OS verification and 5 minutes to install any other OS you want. It's hardly a walled garden, and Google's walled garden is pretty different from Apple's walled garden.

>all aluminum
>1080p or better IPS display
>some midrange ARM SoC would be fine
>maybe clone the Macbook Air form factor
>around $350 price point
Why is this so difficult for manufacturers? Seems like it would be a winning formula. Simple, cheap, fast enough, sturdy, good looking.

The Samsung Chromebook + meets all of that for $450, and I think Best Buy might still be doing their promoting where they'll give you $100 for bringing in an old laptop to trade in for the CB+.

seems like the HP Chromebook 13 is vastly superior

>i lost my argument vs thinkpads

>welp, time to shit on the easiest target: regular $200 Windows laptops.

You fucking retard shill kys yourself.

>terrible battery life in practice
Mehhh

I got my wife's 2016 Macbook Air new for $550, really hard to justify $450 on a random Samching Chongbook when I can have a PCIe SSD, macOS, more RAM, ... for not much more

I'm looking for the lower price point for these Chromebooks

>comparing Chromebooks in the context of their competition makes me a shill

The MBA starts at $999 new. If you're in some situation where you can get a new MBA for $550, thats great for you, but the vast majority of us can't.

Go to /tpg/ and ask if anyone uses their computer to do gaymen. I dare you.

>The MBA starts at $999 new. If you're in some situation where you can get a new MBA for $550, thats great for you, but the vast majority of us can't.
you can get them for less right off of the outlet a lot of the time, just fyi :)

even supposing that it does start at 1k and you can't get it for less (hypothetically), I still think that $450 is better put toward the $1k MBA than wasted on these landfill food computers with glaring flaws

I wish they'd do some innovation or rethink their paradigm
>they only ever put atom SoCs in really shitty plastic enclosures
ugh

>shit cpu
>shit battery life with non-chrome os
>shittiest keyboard

Yea sure kid, where do I sign up?

>regular $200 Windows laptops.
>the most recommended laptop by Sup Forums

Original post:
>Why are used thinkpads more recommended than Chromebooks on here? For $210, you can get a new Chromebook...

I think we're done here.

Doesn't the MBA still have a 1440x900 TN panel? I can't believe Sup Forums is actually defending the throttlebook.

Did you even reply to the right person?

Chromebooks have way lower CPU, a bit more modern guess but PITA to get chrubuntu on it etc

>Doesn't the MBA still have a 1440x900 TN panel? I can't believe Sup Forums is actually defending the throttlebook.
Yeah, it's the weakest point of the machine. I have an x220 with its shitty IPS display and the MBA is definitely superior to it. Neither are great.

My wife (and most normies in general) doesn't really care, she'll get my rMBP once I upgrade anyway.

>$450

lmao I just got a haswell Latitude for $400, there's no way i would spend roughly the same amount for this "laptop".

You should really go back to /Chink Shit General/

You can get Chromebooks with i3s and i5s. All this "Chromebooks are bad because so many of them are cheap" is a pretty shit argument, it's the same argument normies use to justify over spending on Macbooks.

k dad sure

>uses a latitude
>condescendingly tells someone else to go back to csg
o i am laffin

cringe

I highly doubt your Latitude has a 1440p IPS screen and can be converted into a tablet for $400.

Yes.

Hijaking this thread

Who is the person who should buy a chromebook/netbook besides children learning how to use computers?

I was just thinking that since my current laptop is dying and I dont game ever on it, would it be worth it to not go the usual route and aim for a budget gaming laptop at around or below $900. and instead go for something like a chrombook? If all I want is a good CPU, an SSD, and good build quality that is a bit light, wouldnt I fit this demographic and save money by going into it?

I bought a Chromebook because I have a gaming desktop, but I wanted something for comfier shitposting/media consumption.

kek. omfg. i almost pissed myself laughing.

you gotta be fucking kidding me. dude, my wife is a high school math teacher and her school is currently in a lawsuit with a supplier that stopped fulfilling warranty requests three months into the school year because high school kids were wrecking them without even fucking trying. if you gave them to anyone younger, holy shit they'd be even worse.

My dad is also suing ebay for selling his company (Nintendo) so many faulty used t420s.

>hurr thinkpads suck chingchongbook is better

>'but you're wrong you dumb fuck'

>no i swear, the $450 one is way better you can get it at $350 i'm not a shill chromebooks are way more durable, right guise? so we settled this right, chromebooks are better right?

Yea i think we're done.

Chuwi hi13 Chuwi Hi13 has a 13.5 in 10 point multi-touch screen with a 3,000x2, 000 ice, so is chuwi 14. Still sketchy over old Thinkpad tho

Let's see the prices for i3 and i5

A new piece of shit is more durable than a 5 year old piece of shit, why is this controversial?

that was almost funny. if you tried adding more dank to the memes, you might have something next time faggot.

Solid for note taking for cheap. In the same position as you and considering cb path too.

I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 2015 model and for the $280 I spent, it's fucking great. ChromeOS only fault really is terrible file manager

Around $400-$500.

A new $300 chinktop is more durable than a 1,500 laptop from 2012 ?

Sure, shill, chomebook rules!

Where's the referal link, I want to order a couple right now.

I can't find a Chromebook 13 7310 for anywhere near that price.

>decent processor
It has a Broadwell i3-5005U. It's power efficient, but definitely not as powerful as an i5-2520M you would find in an X220 or T420.

You can also get an IPS version of the X220 too.

>implying a 2017 ferrari is more durable than a 1990 F150

age does not imply a lack of durability. chromebooks have shit build quality. it's a fact. you're not going to get excellent build quality for less than $400 in something *brand new*. if it's that cheap, it's either old, or a shitload of corners were cut in the production of it so that it can be sold at such a low price point.

$200 thinkpads today were likely $1000 thinkpads when they were new. $200 chromebooks today are $20 at goodwill next month. just fuck off already.

>$500 chromebook

this joke has gone too far.

They are too addicted to their 1280x800 TN 11000K screens on their chinkpads.

It's just weird because I was getting excited considering buying a new laptop since my current one has always been shit, but then I just never considered getting a laptop that cant game.

I would spend 99% of my time just going on the internet or writing essays, but it would be nice to know that the CPU and SSD are going to last a long while and chromebooks just dont scream quality. Or to even play Dark Souls, that would be nice too

So this is a shittier x230t ?

How the fuck am I a shill? I haven't told you to buy any specific brand of Chromebook, so I'm clearly not being paid by any manufacturer. I'm also advocating removing Chrome OS and installing a different OS, which removes Google's main source of profit on Chrome OS. You have no evidence that I'm a shill, it doesn't logically hold up. The t420 came out 5 years ago, even the most high quality laptops from 5 years ago are falling apart today.

The picture I posted is literally from the Dell outlet a few minutes ago, but I'm not going to post a link because apparently I'm a shill.

>a T420 falls apart

Top kek no it doesn't, shill.

Fuck off with your forced subparbook made specifically for 3rd world children and Xanax soccer moms.

How? This is Sup Forums, are you afraid of installing another Linux distribution to get more features? A $500 Chromebook is a better deal than a $500 Windows laptop for the technologically literate because the Windows laptop has to sacrifice some hardware to pay for the Windows license at that price, while Chromebooks don't. Unless you are a retard who is afraid to press escape + refresh + power and follow the on screen prompts to install a Linux distribution, there's very little reason to buy a Windows laptop at that price.

>They just work.

kys

YOU are the shill. You are advocating for purchasing hardware from a specific brand. I haven't advocated giving any specific company money. How much is lenovo paying you?

2013 Pixel. Downside being poor battery life.

>even the most high quality laptops from 5 years ago are falling apart today
>falling apart today

kek. you do know that you can, right now, go to mac of all trades and buy a 2007 intel macbook with a 2 year warranty, right? and that's twice as old. why would a company offer a warranty on something that's falling apart? that'd be one shit business model. and we're talking plastic unibody shitty macbooks, not even the decent aluminum ones.

a shitload of thinkpads being sold today sat in an IT department storage room in a government building totally unused after their initial audit and are still in brand new condition. you can easily get a thinkpad that's near-mint from 5+ years ago.

i think chinkpads and shillbooks are both shit, but you act like 5 years is some kind of huge long time when there are parts that were manufactured 5+ years ago being put in brand new laptops right now.

You can get a Surface pro 3 for $400.

>underpowered shit tier U series cpu for $500

>b-but windows laptops are the shit ones

my body cant handle this amount of lmaoing

can't buy these fucking things, been trying since the pixel was annouced

Shitposting from a 2008 Macbook. But I've used it since then. I also have a few 2008 to 2013 Thinkpads, but I think the a Macbook of a given vintage is generally better than a Thinkpad to be honest.

What the fuck has happened to Sup Forums? I advocate buying a cheap laptop and installing Linux on it, and at least two people have told me that Macs are better now.

>but you act like 5 years is some kind of huge long time
My macbook that I received as a gift barely lasted 3 years and I rarely took it out of my room.

i was thinking about buying t430 thinkpad

what chromebooks are in that range and what's the difference?

this thinkpad is i5, 8gig ram, intel hd 4000 and 180gb ssd

chromebook=wannabe macbook

Yes, Windows laptops at or under $500 have mobile processors too.

Why do you want to pay for a Windows license that you'll never use?

Stop using logic and common sense please.

Thank you.

Btw you get a $30 discount if you use my promo code DpQ38zPoo2Loo when purchasing a Samsumg Chromebook.

Whats the price of the t430? Prices vary a lot depending on the condition of used laptops.

Now this is shitposting.

for the one i mentioned, 290 euro

supposed to be in very good condition

>why do people shit on me for telling them to buy a shitty laptop?

oh, i'm not saying macbooks are good. i'm just saying that if you can buy a 10 year old macbook with a 2 year warranty (making it 12 years old when it's out of warranty) then obviously a 5 year old durable as shit (but fucking hideous) laptop isn't going to be falling apart.

i would rather have a recent System76 machine, personally... i'm not overly fond of any of the thinkpad, macbook, or chromebook models out there. though i will probably end up buying a chromebook anyway just because they're cheap as fuck.

T430 just not much of an upgrade from t420, and big keyboard change if that matters. Like most cases, if I find good deal on it tho...

>16gb storage

B-but it's upgradable

I am done with this board.

5 year old laptops with 1366x768 TN panels and shitty battery life somehow aren't shitty laptops now?

The 2013 Pixel is probably the closest in specs and price to what you're looking at.

>5 year old laptops with 1366x768 TN panels and shitty battery life somehow aren't shitty laptops now?
Spit out that redpill right now, mister!

Where would you go to learn about the basic differences between desktop and server hardware ? I don't think I actually would do it but I want to entertain the idea of building a desktop from used server parts and to put a theoretical build together I would need to know how it actually works.

Not really, I got 6 hours battery life, a decent 900p display, a 128GB msata ssd and two 1TB hard drives on my five year old "windows laptop" that is suppose to "fall apart". Still in mint condition because you know, it was a $1500 piece of high end magnesium rollcage with a 10/10 keyboard and an objectively better cpu than your flimsy Gookbook.

Now fuck off stop bumping this thread with this samefagging horseshit.

I guess you're right, it cant be converted into a celeron powered 10 inch tablet with 2 GB DDR3 and 16GB eMMC storage.

fuck, you got me, I give up.

ARM processors these days are good enough that you can use an ARM powered convertible with a 2400x1600 screen and 4gb ram to do 99% of what people do with laptops. I know you're probably going to call me retarded for this, but the screen is the most important part of a device intended for media consumption. So far, the only laptops that I know of that have 1440p (give or take for different aspect ratios), IPS screens for under $500 are Chromebooks.

900p TNs are still garbage in 2017. Your laptop is also a lot thicker and heavier than mine to get the same battery life because it uses an older, more power hungry processor. Laptops are supposed to be portable and good for media consumption. Heavy laptops with TN screens are bad for that.

Keyboards are subjective, I don't like thinkpad keyboards.

>Why are used thinkpads more recommended than Chromebooks on here?
Why buy a new low end laptop that boots into a web browser when you can buy a high end used device that works like a normal computer?

Hahaha, he lists off the shelf hard drives as a boon to his shitty laptop! Is that where you keep your Chinese cartoons!? hahahahaha

I've never actually understood the obsession with thinkpads here. I hated using them in high school.

Because you have to press three buttons on the keyboard and insert a USB stick to install a Linux distribution to use it like a normal computer.

Why would you buy a used device when it already has wear and tear, no warranty, and there's the risk that some pedo stored CP on it and you'll get arrested for possessing it?

>shit keyboards
>shit screens
>locked down OS
>botnet in hardware
i could go on

>ARM processors these days are good enough

kek

>>shit keyboards
subjective

>>shit screens
Most models can be easily upgraded, a lot do come with IPS screens, and used thinkpads have TN screens with lower pixel densities.

>>locked down OS
Again, you have to press three button to remove it. This should also be used against Thinkpads since they come with Windows pre installed.

>>botnet in hardware
What hardware that's connected to the internet isn't a part of the "botnet"?

>I'm not a shill I swear

>subjective
no pretty much everybody agrees that chicklet boards are shit

>upgraded
who is going to upgrade the screen in a $200 chinkbook?

>you have to press three button to remove it
on every chromebook? lots are totally locked down, and you never know when they will change this feature

>accepting the botnet
lel

>shilling for used products

>I've never used one
I can watch 1440p videos and have several tabs open and everything works smoothly.

>Google's walled garden is pretty different from Apple's walled garden.
This is no longer true since Android 7 and even earlier.

>easily upgraded

lmao

also tell us more about the cloud storage and 2GB of ram.