Will the day ever come when LibreOffice is just as good as MS Office?

Will the day ever come when LibreOffice is just as good as MS Office?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=myrE7yvOQ1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What does MS office have that LibreOffice not?

Probably the day they get payed developers. It's not too bad as it is, althought the interface suck (I actually like ribbon)

LibreOffice is adding a ribbon UI. Thank God.

It's funny. When Ribbon came out, people hated it.

It's already better

>Purchase Office 365 license
>Download it
>Try to install
>Takes a whole hour to install
>Finally finishes, but freezes the entire system for 2 minutes, can't click anything or do anything
>Unfreezes, go to open Office 365
>Prompts me to enter license key
>Try to enter license key
>"The operation you are trying to perform can't be completed because this is not an activated copy of Office 365. Enter a valid license key to complete this operation"
>Mfw I need a license key to enter my license key
>Fuck it, go back to Arch just to compare installation
>sudo pacman -S libreoffice-fresh
>Done in less than a minute
>Every program in the suite launches just fine
>Everything just works
>Install a thesaurus and dictionary for spell-check
>Now it does literally everything MS Office does but doesn't take nearly as long to load and doesn't have autistic license authentication
>Comfier than I ever was in MS Office

Fuck MS Office and fuck all MS products

>fuck all MS products
windows 10 is generally ok

lol no

I really like how MS Word handles math equations. LibreOffice does a shit job.

No. Retard.

haha

Kill yourself, shit for brains.

When was MS Office ever good?

Something happend, we nud restart, LOL ::sadamileface::

No. But I can't imagine needing MS Office.

pls no

I still hate it

probably no since they don't give a shit about UI

That day came well over 15 years ago when Sun switched to Star Office for all their internal uses.

hang on a sec while my computer updates itself then i'll reply with an epic pro-windows 10 meme

for now take this youtube.com/watch?v=myrE7yvOQ1s

Really? I've had an absolute awful time with any complex equation in any MS product. I admit I haven't tried LibreOffice.

>not just being a meme and using LaTeX.

Ribbon is going to be optional.
I hope it will remain optional.

Libreoffice has much better price/performance compared to MS Office.

It will always be worse because it's a copycat that runs behind Microsoft like a dog. People don't give a shit about 80% to 90% of office features, they might as well be given WordPad of windows 95. The real reason they use Word 2016 is STANDARDIZATION between coworkers on printed output and if you deviate even by 1% on printed output YOU ARE FUCKED.
I work with lawyers and other legal experts that want something that spits shit out fast, it works well and it never changes their output.
You tell me to make them or make me change the standard. It's futile. It's a force of nature that I can't meme out.

>Typesetting math
use LaTeX already

Yeah right
Enjoy getting spied on, wincuck

You will never meme something like that to 99% of office users. They do not make 3-page scientific papers that take months to write, or a book that you tailor make with 1 form.
Most professions need something that spits out shit fast, it works good enough, and it's entirely WYSIWYG.
They also like their current standard.

>and if you deviate even by 1% on printed output
Bullshit. Look at how normies typeset MS Word documents and you are going to cry.
>spacing between paragraphs with enters
>not using tabs for ...................
>paragraphs formatted with local formatting, no styles, etc.
>manual numbering
And these people are secretaries, they write and read Word documents all they long. I'm pretty sure they can handle 1% difference, it's already shit anyway.

If you have to typeset math, LaTeX is superior, the length doesn't matter. Why do people think that it's harder to make short LaTeX documents?

Also have you ever tried math input in Powerpoint? Now that's dreadful (if Word wasn't already).

I don't disagree that some of them are making stupid shit with their output, but those people are still the same that require standardization simplicity in their work environment and most of their other co-workers that do care about output more also use Word or other office products anyway. The current standard is also a force of nature so you will never convince those stupid shits before you convince the smarter people, and the smarter people are often a minuscule minority that can't approach the stupid shits because the stupid shits are too busy being Don Draper fucking the babes, they have no time changing the world for the better.

Do you have any human contact with actual humans? If a program is not 100% WYSIWG, 99% of humans will not even touch it. Only the normiest of the norm interfaces have any chance on something like Word.

In MS office, you write it the same way you do in latex, but it evaluates when you press space.
This makes it easier to write, but you cannot edit an equation once it is written.
In libreoffice, you open a different pane, edit it in their own language (I actually like the syntax but that is besides the point).
Neither is especially good and people get the plugin so they can edit it, but still, it is not great.

Three points:
- Word is heavily marketed, most people don't even know what LaTeX is.
- People learn Word in school, not LaTeX.
- Many academic profs are as normies to computers as they can get, yet they can use LaTeX well.

just use activator.
i'm too lazy to use cash

>t. shill

Prefer Libre. My work involves a lot of reports that can sometimes involve diagrams and pictures. It's easier to put a picture on Libre and format it than word.

I actually have a bad time trying to print my sheets to pdf, Excel does it perfecty but Calc keep fucking the column and never print the entire sheet in just one page.

I work as a translator, using CAT software and then editing e.g. user manuals in .doc/.docx with LibreOffice is virtually impossible, because how the formatting breaks. E.g. instead of 100 pages of original text you get 200 pages. Once you deal with formatting and send it to a different user, there are still great chances the formatting will break again

LibreOffice is the epitome of programmer design

Most of the functionality is there, it just looks and feels awful

>Red
>Yellow
>#00CC00

My sides.

What did you expect. Most loonix software is just cheap knockoffs. Reminds of that stupid meme about mpv, purely a loonix meme because they can't run madVR.

LOL JUST LOL at the MS Word shill ITT. Latex is the gold standard for typesetting equations, why would you even use word. I only suggest word for my undergrads that haven't learned latex and must write something down quick for a homework assignment.
Consider suicide by sudoku pls

Is everyone on Sup Forums a secretary?
Why do you care about "office suites" so much?
99% of people literally only need "word" to write an essay and you can do that in any text editor.

I wish this office suite meme would die. Especially MS Office which is a bloated mess.

>my undergrads
you are fired

Yeah, really funny when you choose a custom color and it shows #00CC00... what's wrong with that?

>custom color
Those are the colours that were already selected when I opened the window

For some unexplainable reason, the default colour palettes are different in Windows and Linux. Green 3 is #00CC00 in Linux, but #2BD22B in Windows.

I see the green is brighter in windows

Which version are you using?

Never because LibreOffice will always be compared to MS Office and not the other way round.

This, I have nothing to hide.

What are you trying to hide, cuck.

Latex is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

>Will the day ever come when LibreOffice is just as good as MS Office?
Maybe, but that day is not today.

I have one coworker that uses Linux and LIbreOffice plus some random email client.

If we send him a spreadsheet, word doc, email, etc, whenever he changes any tiny thing or just saves and resends it the formatting is all fucked.

I don't care if Microsoft is shitty for having a weird document standard; at the end of the day, most people use MS Office, and the few people using LibreOffice are the special snowflakes shitting out awkwardly formatted documents.

Feels like shit to use, too. Wouldn't prefer it even if it was the norm here at the office.

>t. college undergrad

My main complaint with Libre is the Excel counterpart. It doesn't even come close.

(((we)))

Honestly I didn't mind using it for almost all of my discrete structures assignments, but maybe most of those operators or subscripts are easy for any word processor to handle.

The world will be a better place if everyone were thinking the same as you

You work in a shitty environment if anyone gives a fuck about the file you send and usually for closed documents there is PDF, incredibly easier to read and open and (I know the format for graphic design) it can't fuck nothing up. just impossible.
Now I use a cracked ms office but only cause I don't give a fuck about closed software and piracy so I want the best, but "standardisation" shouldn't be a reason, also cause as somebody pointed out most of the documents are shitty wrote anyway

Sup Forums posting history, my Sup Forums smuggies folder and libertarian views.

>Will the day ever come when LibreOffice is just as good as MS Office?

It will need a deep-pocket corporate backer.

Someone like IBM or Google to set the project in the right direction and make sure it has the funding it needs to become a feasible drop-in replacement for MS Office.

By the way, the reason it needs to be a deep-pocket is because once it gets to the point where LibreOffice is taking serious revenue away from Microsoft, then the blizzard of lawsuits will begin. Most of the money will be needed for the legal fights (not for paying the developers). Google has a history of ponying up some serious cash for fighting IP battles.

If a deep-pocket takes control, task number one will be to change the top-level goal of LibreOffice. There's a mistaken belief that LibreOffice needs to implement published standards. But, in fact, nobody cares about adherence to published standards. The only thing people want is for LibreOffice to be a drop-in replacement for MS Office, and that has nothing whatsoever to do with adherence to published standards. Only a deep-pocket will have the ability to clean house and install a new management team that will deliver what people actually want.

>I really like how MS Word handles math equations. LibreOffice does a shit job.
Have you tried using the spreadsheet application instead of the word processor, user?
THE DEFAULT SHADE OF GREEN IS DIFFERENT ON LINUX THAN IT IS ON WINDOWS?! HOLY SHIT, SOMEONE NOTIFY CERT IMMEDIATELY!
>When Ribbon came out, people hated it.
>I still hate it
This. And everyone I know that ever used Office before the introduction of the Ribbon still hates it too.

Libre Office is fine on its own... but 2 things prevent penetration of it on a larger scale:

1: Interoperability of files. M$ has gone to great lengths to make interoperability with their files impossible.

2: Email. Outlook/Exchange is the only enterprise email system on the market today. There have been others that have tried and with varying levels of success, but nothing owns email like Outlook/Exchange

pic related

I had used libre office all the way up to recently when I brought am office 2016 key for a tenner. I'd say libre is in a very good state at the moment, I remember in the early days, when I was in school I would get all sorts of compatability issues that don't seem to happen now. You make a libre document at home and open it on an office computer somewhere it normally comes out alright. I even used to use libre draw but that was pretty bad compaired to just using paint.

I like it and I know the old office, never worked on it too much tho, only casual documents

>WYSWYG good

>if you deviate even by 1% on printed output YOU ARE FUCKED.

This guy gets it. This is absolutely everything.

About once a year I bring up some work documents in the latest LibreOffice just out of curiosity to see how bad it still sucks.

I always see tons of stupid little shit wrong -- like page breaks in the wrong place. For example, the printout will have an extra page with a single line on it because the pagination was set to look right in Excel, but LibreOffice renders the page a little too big causing the last line to spill over onto the next page. I can guarantee you that the people I work with would throw those spreadsheets in the trash and insist on getting un-fucked-up printouts.

2006 called, they want their Office Suit back.

Excel is better

Ribbon is for slow brain.

GUI is for slow brain.

Calc is just spreadsheet I use with my keyboards.

LibreOffice is utterly featured gimped. Their word processor is the most acceptable, if you need to write a letter or essay it will work, its just missing the fanciest features. Their spreadsheet program is super basic, it is no where near feature parity of Excel which is important because thats why you are using it in the first place. Their slide show program is a complete joke, its a steaming pile of shit.

When Microsoft stops purposefully breaking their own fucking format/standard in order to screw with the competition

>his job relies on office software

Doesn't the NSA contribute to Linux?

Google docs/sheets and whatever is better than libre office and that's saying something.

>his job relies on a specific software project

Why the fuck does libre fucking office still use motherfucking java by default? That's the most retarded fucking thing ever. Don't those brain damaged freetard devs understand that '''''normal'''' people don't change the settings? They start the app, see that it runs like absolute dog shit, close it and never use it again. That's why MS office has 99.99999% market share and nobody uses desktop linux. Because it's made by neckbeards disconnected from reality that don't understand normal users.

God damn it, I'm so mad right now.

>Whahhh, why won't those stupid normie sheep use our superior free software???
>Whaaah!

Because of stupid fucking bullshit like this!

That's not an issue with LibreOffice. The MS Office format is near impossible to reimplement by design.

Give me a feature in MS Office that is keeping you from using LibreOffice. I beg you.

What is PDF?

If you're sending layout critical documents for other people to print as word documents then you're beyond retarded.

People don't switch away from MS office because they don't have a reason to.

>it's free

Who gives a shit? MS office is dirt cheap.

>Why the fuck does libre fucking office still use motherfucking java by default?
It started as a Sun office suite.

Except you are wrong. You have never worked for large company, actually most likely you have never worked, period. Standardization does matter, and I cannot imagine sending out documents that may or may not break to anyone, even internally. The moment you communicate with any higher up it's serious business mode, if you work includes sending out shit to clients that's even more important. Only exception from this is when you work for small company and share documents with few people of the same rank internally.
By the way corporations are one of major factors why microsoft is even alive and why those standards will not go away.

So? It's 2017, you thing this still should be the default setting? Are you fucking retarded or something?

That's the whole fucking issue, there's no reason to use java by default, none at all and they still do it!!! Freetards are insane, literally insane.

>Give me a feature in MS Office that is keeping you from using LibreOffice. I beg you.

You have a reading comprehension problem. Read my post again -- it provides explicit detail of one feature that MS Office has that LibreOffice doesn't that's preventing me from recommending to my company to even try LibreOffice as a replacement.

Specifically, the MS Office feature that I mentioned in my post is the ability to print documents paginated exactly as the original writer of the document intended when they originally used an MS Office product to edit that document. LibreOffice does not have that feature.

If you think that feature is "not important", then you misunderstand the needs of the vast majority of business users. My company alone has 400,000 documents that all display and print exactly as the writer intended when using MS Office to edit them. Specifically, the feature that we need from LibreOffice is the ability to display and print every one of those 400,000 documents exactly the same way that MS Office does. That's it -- that is the ONE killer feature that LibreOffice lacks that we need. What LibreOffice does instead is it works very nicely on document formats that we don't use in my company. Specifically, exactly zero of our 400,000 documents are formatted using the standard that LibreOffice implements. That's because all of our 400,000 documents were originally created using MS Office, which uses different file formats than what LibreOffice supports. (Yes, there might be a 98% similarity between the MS Office formats and the LibreOffice formats, but 98% isn't good enough. We need the similarity to be 100.0000000%, accurate to within at least 8 sigma. That is our required feature, and LibreOffice does not implement that feature.)

So you can stop begging now. I gave you what you asked.

>People don't switch away from MS office because they don't have a reason to.

That's not the reason why corporations don't switch away from MS Office.

Corporations don't switch to LibreOffice because LibreOffice doesn't print and display their document the same way that MS Office does, and the differences -- although sometimes small -- are a continual source of annoyance to the users of those documents.

> MS office is dirt cheap.

Relatively speaking, yes -- you're correct. And given the choice between two "dirt cheap" applications (MS Office versus LibreOffice), corporations choose the one that prints and displays their documents exactly as the author intended.

What's the best lightweight Word/Writer alternative?

Abiword used to be ok, but it's abandonware now, at least on Windows.

Even in fucking school, it's doc, docx and if your lucky pdf. Libre without fail fucks up your pages your writing inevitably begins three lines up on the cover page meanwhile you bibliography starts half way down the last.

Its fucking shit, some profs are really picky about that shit too

>Libre without fail fucks up your pages your writing inevitably begins three lines up on the cover page meanwhile you bibliography starts half way down the last
No. It works perfectly when you know how to use it.

The best part is how the .doc extension encapsulates about a dozen different file formats, many of which are undocumented and the most modern of which has a file specification manual that is 7193 pages long.

You can say
It's much greener on the other side.

Yeah, chase uses Lync and Office/Exchange, it's prominent in a lot of big businesses and made communicating with people and made my job a lot easier.

Excel

The NSA was one of the primary developers of SELinux (along with Red Hat) which is a security module for Linux that enforces mandatory access controls (which the US Department of Defense requires). The NSA developed SELinux to enforce government security standards on their own systems, because while they spy on everyone they sure don't want to get spied on themselves. Basically the NSA wants Linux secure so they can use it themselves, after all most people they are spying on are probably using windows anyway.

So what you're trying to say is that the absurd MS Office file format spec that is nearly 8000 fucking pages long is an issue with LibreOffice?

Don't get me wrong, I would never recommend LibreOffice for business use for that same reason, but that reason exists at the whim of Microsoft exclusively.

This.
People mistakenly blame LibreOffice for incompatibility, when really they are doing pretty fucking well considering the fact that MS Office uses a very closed off file format that is horribly documented and probably doesn't even fully follow its own documented practices. I mean for fucks sakes, the file formats aren't even fully cross compatible with different versions of Office as MS makes changes to an established format in between Office releases. I'm sure ms shills will tell me that they change things because they are updating the program, but imagine if say the png format was changed as often as docx people would freak the fuck out because every couple of years either their old pictures wouldn't open properly or they couldn't open some new pictures; I mean imagine if you had to mention in your post what image viewer you use just so people could view your fucking image.

It matches the Win10 aesthetic

And is free

Therefore it is superior

I use it for personal and business purposes. It works for me.

>using micro$haft products
reddit pls leave

I only use it to do basic stuff in its MS Word counterpart and it works perfectly fine for that. For more advanced work I imagine it's not as good as MS Office

It gave me small trouble a couple times when I had to open slideshows on my uni's computers which naturally have ms office though

>$0.02 has been deposited into your Microsoft account

Post your search history.

Nothing good has come out of Microsoft since 2001.