I don't post here often, and I have searched around but cannot find any answers for this

I don't post here often, and I have searched around but cannot find any answers for this.
How do i use veracrypt for full disk encryption while running Windows 8.1 64bit. Before you start berating me for the OS, this is for a friend.

Other urls found in this thread:

lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Lol these guys rarely know anything. Good luck my dude.

fuck . I really hope someone does

Install gentoo

is that all this board says anymore. I get its a meme, but I'm coming here for advice. I don't mean to sound demanding or anything but i'd real appreciate some insight on how to tackle this problem.

press next you dumb fuck

Install solus

i love anime

Is it a Intel or AMD

Your friends laptop (or desktop, but I'm assuming a laptop here) is likely setup with GPT using UEFI for booting. Veracrypt can't use UEFI since it needs to write its boot loader that contains its way of decrypting the disk on boot to the MBR (so that when you boot your machine, it asks for a password that allows you to access the device).

You need to go into your BIOS, change the boot type to legacy, and rebuild your bcd so that your windows partition can properly boot again (since once you change this setting, your computer won't be able to boot anymore)

I'm not going to give you a book though. Figure out the rest. Your problem is UEFI. Go from there.

Debian GNU+Linux doesn't have this problem

thank you. I will look into doing this.
Greatly appreciated

Do keep in mind, you WILL need a bootable drive to rebuild your BCD for your Windows partition. It at least needs access to a cmd shell with bcdedit. Preferably, it will be running the same OS as the target ie Win8.1 64bit

Otherwise, don't even try it. You risk bricking your laptop until you A. get said bootable drive and fix the BCD or B. reinstall Windows.

Fuck off. Some of us just don't like writing walls of tech support nonsense after coming home from work. Some of us browse this board to enjoy ourselves. The only reason why I'm helping this guy was because he sounded sincere. Did you ever consider saying "please" the last time you came on here with your stupid questions?

I feel as though I will end up bricking my laptop if I try this. I have no idea where to begin with this. I've messed up an old laptop once, I was running truecrypt on it an something happend where I kept getting some 0x000000 error or something along those lines, I had to wipe the harddrive and reinstall the OS because i couldn't get access.
If I do find a guide or tutorial on how to do this, I will definitely be backing up everything before i do.

you literally just press next its not rocket science

Just encrypt the Windows partition. It gives you better security then no encryption at all. Yeah, you might have temp file leaks, but who cares? As long as your friend isn't watching CP, only the feds are going to care enough to open your laptop up and harvest the drive. A two-bit thief isn't going to give a shit or know how to get access to your stuff.

Why would Veracrypt not support UEFI? Is this a technical limitation or just missing feature?

>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

The full disk encryption option is greyed out.

Pic related.

It's kind of both. Veracrypt didn't support GPT for quite some time, and it was doubled fucked when Microsoft came out with Win8 that supported GPT but also required UEFI to use GPT because of the new "and improved" Windows Boot Manager.
Veracrypt has support for 32bit UEFI on Windows as of last year, but they're still trying to get the support for 64bit. Ironically enough, amd64 Gentoo literally doesn't have this problem, since the Linux kernel has complete support for any kind of partition mapping and extended BIOS configuration you could possibly shit out and so does Veracrypt, but that's open source for you: Linux gets it first.

Do you think support for 64bit UEFI systems will come out anytime soon?

Not a clue. Sorry.

>rebuild your BCD for your Windows partition
doses this sounds like a suiting guide for what i'd have to do?:
lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

No. You won't have access to advanced boot options. Get a bootable windows drive on a flash drive, open cmd from that drive, enumerate the volume if necessary (ie give it a drive letter a la diskpart), cd to that volume, and start at step 3.

It's gonna be harder than you think if you don't even know how to properly use a cli, let alone make a bootable flash drive.

Is encrypting just the windows system partition secure enough to hide everything?