Why don't we call it systemd/xorg/gnu/Linux?

Why don't we call it systemd/xorg/gnu/Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#many
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because the fat fuck neckbeards that use linux couldn't say that without running out of breath.

Asking the real questions here: Does he have a standing desk in this jet?

a. not worth it, might be wayland soon enough
b. not worth it, might be systemd/systemd/systemd/systemd soon enough

>systemd/systemd/systemd/systemd
lol

It's KDE/linux asshole
get on with the time
being stuck in the 1980s like a bitch

>not openrc/wayland/gnu/linux/gentoo

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

>It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).
RMS never stops to amuse me
I had a little chuckle about the last sentence

Source?

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.en.html#many

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd system made useful by the systemd corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the systemd system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of systemd which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the systemd system, developed by the systemd Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the systemd operating system: the whole system is basically systemd with Linux added, or systemd/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of systemd/Linux.

well he's right
he started the whole thing 83, 10 years before linux was even an idea

Systemd/PulseAudio/NetworkManager

>well he's right
What? This arrogant autist goes around preaching about free software, but is going to cry when someone use his and doesn't name the final product to his liking? You people are ridiculous hypocrites!

the final product is a combination of the gnu system with linux, the kernel
linux isn't the complete system

kek

I know that he's somehow right but he keeps riding on this topic so hard and so long that' it becomes funnier everytime when he interrupts somebody and tries to force his formulation
I'm a passionate Gnu/Linux user though

I think he justifies it with the distribution of the ethical values of his project and that people just calling it Leenoox makes it harder for him to spread his ideology

Xorg is under MIT license. It's 100x more important than software that's under FSF and you can easily eliminate FSF shit by using Busybox.

Therefore, I suggest we call Linux, Linux/MIT.

You could also "eliminate" GNU by using Microsoft Windows, but it doesn't change the fact that, if you're using the GNU system, you're using the GNU system.

I'm not using GNU system. most of the software I use is under MIT and Apache license.

because gnu covers systemd and xorg.

because not all distros nowadays use system d, only like, 90% of them do

I'd say your libc and coreutils define what userspace you are running.

Isn't it possible to assemble a fully working Linux distribution without GNU software?