Who else wants to punch the (((consortium))) that came up with the flimsy usb micro connector?

Who else wants to punch the (((consortium))) that came up with the flimsy usb micro connector?

i think it's fine, i use it every day

I've never broken a micro USB connector.

Dunno what kinda retard strength you have to break a micro usb in normal usage.

Me neither but I suspect that mini-USB is superior.
Sadly I can't really compare them because the micro variant is used daily and the mini only monthly.

YEAH! LET'S GO PUNCH THEM RIGHT IN THE MOUTH WITH OUR DICKS!

usb micro is absolutely fine

obsolete though with Type-C now

I've broken multiple micro-USB connectors, though I have an active lifestyle and break stuff regularly. My bicycle lights use mini-USB connectors and though treated the exact same way as everything else, they've never had problems.

USB type-C > mini-USB > USB type-A > actual shit > micro-USB > proprietary connectors

Apparently mini usb has 1000 uses before the cable fucks up. That was partly why they wanted to move to micro usb.

Type-A > all

assuming office conditions

It's not the connectors themselves but the cable manufacturers who fuck them up with cheap parts.

I've been using gold plated anker cables for months with no issues.

Looks like you've had plenty of experience inserting micro sized things before.

The one with my ps4 fucked up in under a year. I was interchanging it with different devices though.

This
Mini USB seems table but put a tons of leveraged pressure on the port, and is prone to bending, not a good physical design. (Although micro USB's "hooks" tend to get smashed in)
USB-C is superior though, we just gotta get the USB people on board with a reasonable version number (not like USB 3.1 = 3.0 and USB 3.1 can sometimes = USB 3.1)

Me.

I fucked up 2 of my android phones because micro-USB inside of them broke. once it breaks, your whole phone is dead because it fucks up the PCB and there's no fixing that.

would never buy a phone again (or anything else expensive) with micro-USB.

this is why USB-C is thiccer than micro-usb

They actually switched because Mini-USB really sucked, it wore out really quickly.

Does anything other than hard drives use this?

I do believe that a Samsung Note used that, can't recall which one though

my Galaxy S5 can use it - or use regular micro.

I have no idea why I would need muh fast speedz for data transfer on a phone, but whatever

type-C master race

Only broke an HTC once and it had a fixable connector, literally 8 torx screws and a 3€ part. Dumped the phone anyway cause it was a piece of shit

So this is pretty much going to be short lived until we start seeing USB type C hard drives I guess.

External, I hope you mean?

I've had a micro USB break on me. It was on my phone from multiple plug/unplugs every time I got into my car.

Much happier with USB c now. Just feels sturdier and no guessing which was it goes in

Yes but if you have SATA II, USB 3.0 has faster transfer rates.

going to be? It's been around for ages, it on phones was a flop because android doesn't need to sync with computers.
That being said there's already type c hard drives out there, cheap enclosures with 3.1 have been on the market for a while already, dont underestimate chinks

Micro-USB has a tendency to break at the wire/connector side while mini-USB has a tendency to break at the port. Micro is preferable to mini for things that will be unplugged frequently.

What's worse, I heard they also came up with a new idea for replacing the pins of the motherboard for USB with several specifications for sockets.

The Apple iPhone 5S doesn't have this problem.

>usb connector fucked
>smd 101
just get a bit of flux, a new connector, solder paste and a heat gun.

maybe 100$ on supplies which you can use on next projects to and a 2$ part.

fag

nigger, the PCB broke. manufacturing pieces of a 4+ layer PCB is way above my skills.

I bet you couldn't do it either.

The Nikon D810 uses it. Maybe some other cameras do as well.

my Note 3 has one but you can just plug a regular micro USB into the left slot

Mini USB is the crap connector that requires punching.

Micro USB is really quite good. Hard to break, hard to wear out.

So what happens if you just plug a micro usb into a usb 3.0 hard drive?

It either doesn't spin up (USB2.0 power delivery), or runs at USB2.0 speed.

The hard drive works fine on a USB 2.0 port using the Y connector.

Yeah, that would work.
USB2.0 - 500mA
USB3.0 - 1000mA

2xUSB2.0 - (2*500mA) 1000mA

All the Y-connector does, is put the power lines of the second USB port in parallel to the main USB port, which doubles the available current.

Some "smart" USB ports won't supply power to a setup like that, as they don't detect any USB devices, but there might be cables with dummy USB slave controllers in them to let the "smart" host controller supply power.

I'm confused. It only goes in one socket on the PC and runs fine on a USB 2.0 port with reduced transfer speeds. Why would it need more current?

Some external drives need a lot of current to spin up, and 500mA from the USB2.0 port doesn't cut it. This is why USB2.0 cables that come with external CD drives come with Y-connector cables.
Most external drives are fine with 500mA though.

It's full speed head for USB-C. Fuck Micro.

The only thing I've seen complaints about besides the switchover is the loss of magsafe. I'm sure that could be fixed with adapters easier than Micro was because USB-C is already reversible.