PC Upgrading March 2017

Hello,

I'm looking to get a new CPU by the end of March . I was waiting for the Ryzen cpu's but I'm conflicted on whether I should buy a r7 1800x or i7 7700k. It'll be the same price all in all. i7 + motherboard = 500$, r7 1800x is ~500$ here as well.
What would be the better choice?
Apart from CS:GO streaming I don't do much else.

Going to get the GTX 1080ti once it comes out as well. What would be the better combo?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/3/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

7700k. single core is very important in csgo

Is it worth upgrading from a i7 2600k? I've got a r9 280x currently as graphics card as well.

yes

Only if you're going to upgrade from that GPU.

So very likely the most resource intensive game I'm going to play after building my gaymen PC is Skyrim.

My budge is going to be ~1200, absolutely no more than $1400, only if something is REALLY worth it. What am I better off with? Ryzen, or Jewbylake? I'd really, really prefer not to deal with the botnet and hardware lockout, but I need performance too.

>Just playing CS:GO
>Getting a 1800x and 1080ti

Jewbylake will be better for pushing pure framerate, but if you are streaming Ryzen may be better if you are trying to push a higher quality encoding preset

Grab the R7 1700 for $170 less. You can overclock it to have almost the same clockspeed as the 1800x. If you're gonna STREAM while playing CSGO, this might benefit you. Especially if you got shit like Discord, Skype, Chrome, and etc. running in the background.

If you're just playing CSGO and want the absolute highest frame rate and that's that, stick with the 7700k for now.

You do get a lot more for your money with the R7 1700 though.

>Apart from CS:GO streaming I don't do much else.

Why exactly are you getting 7700k? Fuck, why exactly are you getting 1080ti?

A 7600k is still better than an 1800x.

I buy games. I just mean I focus mainly on that.
I want a future proof pc for next-gen games, maybe VR as well. Currently just CS:GO.

>future proof pc
No such thing, all you can do is hope that there wont be next Sandy Bridge jump in CPU department or next GTX1080 in GPU department.

Go for what is cheaper, really 7700k is faster in games but not to the point of caring about it with 1080ti.

Are you going to be GAYming? Get the 7600K

Are you going to be doing some serious workloads, compiling, rendering? Get the 1800X.

Anything else, just get the Ryzen 1700 or wait until their 6C/12T and 4C/8T models

Since you mentioned future-proofing, you might want to get an R7 processor.

There has been an ongoing trend towards multi-threading nowadays. The pull is stronger than ever.

>Vulcan and DX12 gaining ground.
>Bethesda and AMD working together to make multi-threading more common in upcoming games.

Even Intel gives a shit about the multi-threading trend. They announced that they're making 6 core i5s in the next year or two. Making the 4 core, 8 threaded i7s of today almost pointless for the price.

You need 8 cores for shitposting on Sup Forums in 4K@144Hz

Ryzen for streaming and rendering.

7700k for gaming from this year and back because of lazy devs not supporting more than 4 cores.

Though if you've already got a gaming PC it's usually that old one which gets cannibalized for parts and turned into a stream management box anyway.

7700k, don't listen to angry amdrones

>muh cores
why devs :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

So if I want to focus on streaming, content creating, etc and still get i7 7700k-tier performance.
The r7 1800x would be my best bet?

Your correct about everything except the 7700k level performance from the 1800x

1800x and 7700k are overkill for just cs:go.ryzen is good for streaming, just go with a 1700 and save some money, and overclock it if you feel the need.

Then what do you think would be the best CPU for me? I do like having high frames in games. But I also might want to focus on streaming later.

1700x or 1700?

>botnet
>hardware lockout

I put an old SSD with windows 7 (slightly less botnet) into my 7700k rig just to see if it would work.

It freaked out and crashed a few times because of the mismatch between the bios of the old motherboard and the new one for a bit before settling down. Mouse and Keyboard worked okay after a few restarts. Had to use an old SATA DVD drive to load the drivers for the new board's USB to work with usb sticks.

Once it was up and running it was a nice surprise to see that Gigabyte does support Win7 on this board.

Thinking hard about the 1080TI to replace this 760, but was waiting on news on the Pascal refresh, Vega or Volta to see if it's worth holding out a little longer.

Only odd thing is the terrible SSD performance... which could be because I'm downloading a few large files at the moment and don't want to interrupt them just to run the Windows evaluation again.

I'll be switching back out to Win10 later. Or maybe not now that Win7 seems to be working just fine.

Will there be a way to determine if new motherboards will support Win7/Win8.1 with the new Intel CPU's? I don't want to have to buy one and literally hope for the best, only to find out it doesn't.

I would say just save money and get the 1700. It's turbo speed is 3.7, and I know 3 people that have just overclocked it so its set at 3.7. Only difference between the r7 series cpus is the clock speeds you get stock.

I didn't count on it working. Microsoft and the rest of the shills are shouting that you have to accept adchrist into your life.

No it's not in the worst case scenario for the 1800x they're equal. Watch when in a few weeks time when all the intel cucks have to redo their benches the 1800x will eat the 7600k's pussy out.

how long are we going to keep this shilling up Intel marketing team? Every time you make a shit thread like this I will remind them

7700k is way faster

Also Ryzen is really bad at streaming, despite what they tried to market it as

Source?

JFC how horrifying.

>i7 2600k
Buy WC or Noctua dual cooler. OC to the limit. Upgrade the Video Card.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/3/

>It's certainly possible to stream and play a game like Dota 2 on a high-end system with a 7700K, but there is a performance penalty for doing so.

>While I wasn't able to capture the number of dropped frames from the stream, I was able to capture the FPS numbers from Dota 2. All the eight-core CPUs did well, but the 7700K took a significant hit to performance by as much as 18FPS with OBS active. Ryzen did well, only dropping 3FPS while streaming, but was ultimately slower overall than the Intel systems.

Though I don't know how much I would trust their benchmarking, since their average FPS actually went up in two cases while streaming.

>but was ultimately slower overall than the Intel systems

That's the point, doesn't matter how much the extra cores help on Ryzen, the Intel chip still ends up being faster.

Ryzen launch is a complete cluster fuck, I'd wait until the dust settles and we actually get an objective consensus on the newly released hardware.
I really fucking hate Sup Forums at times btw

Trying to future proof your GPU is retarded. Just get what you need now and put what you'd spend on a top tier card today that will be underused towards a next gen card.

>>It's certainly possible to stream and play a game like Dota 2 on a high-end system with a 7700K, but there is a performance penalty for doing so.

depends on how your doing it. using something like AMD relive or Nvidia equiv largely takes the CPU out of the equation

Why are devs so fucking lazy? Mad as hell that Stellaris only really uses ONE core and it shows. Actually, why the fuck is it always grand strategy games that blow when it comes to core utilization?

With Skyrim clock speeds are what really matters. Most games aren't that good at using multiple cores, here Bethesda is a worst offender. But I don't really blame them, multi threading is difficult to program.