Let us sing a suicide song to Intel's largest revenue pool

Let us sing a suicide song to Intel's largest revenue pool.
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/

The Datacenter
>Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630 v4
# of Cores 10
# of Threads 20
Processor Base Frequency 2.20 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.10 GHz

>Dual

Sing your praises to your new Big Iron overlord, Zen.

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2017/03/03/misinformed-rush-to-judgement-casts-amd-ryzen-in-overly-critical-light/#5e8abcc913e2
twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/837429476237651968
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>not even 60 fps

Some more production benches from the OP article.

>source: my jew overlords

Dual Naples Ryzen will obliterate the Xeons.

Insane.

LOL, AMD just launched their naples for mainstream instead of summit ridge? WTF are those numbers!

I'm glad people are starting to see Ryzen actual potential and how it isn't and won't be games for the next few years.
It's a great CPU it just got marketed wrong for some odd reason

Verify

In ST the Xeons literally have no chance even with Turbo Boost 3.0 pimping one core to its max.

>My early thoughts were that getting on and off chip with Ryzen was exhibiting some sort of intrinsic round-trip latency or bug, since when tasked with pure compute workloads Ryzen is so strong versus significantly more expensive Intel chips. Others thought Ryzen was having issues with its power states, dropping into a lower power mode inadvertently under this test condition, indicative perhaps of a BIOS firmware issue. Regardless, the more we kicked this around in the community, along with some of wide swings in performance seen between motherboard vendors and version, the more this began to feel, in my opinion, like typical early silicon architecture growing pains.

I think he have a point. It was the same with Nehalem and Sandy Bridge

forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2017/03/03/misinformed-rush-to-judgement-casts-amd-ryzen-in-overly-critical-light/#5e8abcc913e2

Basically AMD destroyed X99. Who would use it now that they can have a whole system by the price of just the 6950X.

The final words say it all, a failed 'gamer' chip will demolish Intel's bottom line.

I had stock and managed to sell it before launch for a decent profit. There hasn't been a launch for a tech product that hasn't had hiccups. Do people forget x99 and the first i series?
The rubes sold stock and it dropped like a bit, I'm going to try and maybe buy back in next week if it drops some more.

Zen right now is a server/HPC arch first and foremost, being sold as mainstream. I've seen a ton of HPC/datacenter guys lose their shit over Ryzen. Have you seen the fucking power draw numbers? How it scales with lower frequency? Straight up performance? PRICE? This motherfucking chip is a mobile and HPC MONSTER. Naples is going to fucking Intel sideways.

If you think the kinds of datacenters that use that kind of Intel hardware are just going to dump it all and refit with AMD hardware top to bottom you really don't have a clue about how business computing infrastructure works.

But that's not really surprising, considering you're posting on Sup Forums, right?

Right?

A lot of these benefit from AMD's fantastic SMT implementation, once you scale 32 cores to this it will be not pretty for Intel.

TCO is everything, I hope you're aware of that.

This might be the biggest marketing fuck up by AMD ever. Targeting the R7s towards the gamer demographic only caused people to focus in even more on gaming performance, even though they were never going to beat Intel on IPC.

But they have on the market 8c/16t processors that are less than half the price and offer comparable performance to Intel's 8c/16t processors. Intel got a reprieve with Ryzen's shaky debut today, but the fuckers are almost certainly shitting their pants.

The future is bright.

I think you also do not.

I'm thinking that they are trying to play 4D chess with the marketing, but I'm not sure if that is working...

Nah, it's not a fuck up, this will get them to fix any teething BIOS/firmware and software scheduler issues before they release it to enterprise customers, who already had samples in testing for months.

If these upcoming BIOS issues fail to address the performance disparity in gaming, these CPUs won't be all that good a buy for gaming, but still fantastic productivity chips, and considering the revenue in enterprise AMD might as well consider the gamer market chump change, they'll design a high clocking arch in the future, but for now Zen doesn't scale all that well over 3.8 and needs massive voltages to do it, but scales down fantastic and that benefits everything but the gamer market.

That Xeon-D 1587 is a 16c/32t part.
Ryzen 1700X is right on its ass.
Goddamn.

>ryzen does more with less
I hope that this means cheap V3 Xeons on eBay.
Oh, and of course, the demise of jewtel.

DUAL
FUCKING BROADWELL 10 CORE XEONS

QUAD FUCKING XEONS

AMD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Also who are these guys that they have literally $100,000 (without mobo/ram cost) in chips lying around?

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooly shit.

Intel on suicide watch, guaranteed the CEO doesn't make it out of Q3.

I guess the question then is how much the clock ceilings are a product of Glofo's underlying process, as opposed to the heat generated by 8 full cores.

Though once EUV stops being vaporware, AMD might be able to get a handy boost from Glofo moving to 7nm. And given Intel's struggles with 10nm, the foundries overtaking Intel might be a legit possibility.

AMD is back baby, AMD IS FUCKING BACK.

Even during K7/K8 AMD never had this much of a competitive server core.

lol zen is amazing

It gets way better.
It absolutely decimates in performance/watt

>the closest thing to it is a i3 dual core

I managed to sell mine at 14.9. bought it back today at 13.12. It may dip more, but I wanted to get back in for upcoming servers and APUs.

Time to buy amd stock while it drop

That's beautiful.
Should I wait for Naples or just start to build my compile farm with R7 1700Xs?

>STH provides insights into best practices and hardware reviews for SMB servers, web hosting and virtualization labs. It is part of Loyolan Ventures, LLC.

I was gonna buy today before close but I never got around to it, I think it'll go up on Monday once people have had time to digest a little bit. Or not, some of the stock guys can be pretty dumb sometimes.

>6 core APUs with truckload of SATA ports for my pfsense router.

God dammit when.

WHEN I'M LITERALLY DROOLING
HECK I DON'T EVEN NEED THE APU JUST GIVE ME A 25W 8 CORE CPU WITH HIGH SINGLE THREAD TURBO SO I CAN SHOVE IT INTO MY NAS AND PFSENSE BOX AND RUN IT HEADLESS FUCK AMD YOU HAVE ONEJOB

Well, fan stock buyers mess up the price more so than actual traders. It's why stocks of companies like AMD perform kinda weird compared to others.

I would get just get 1700s imo. Looks like they can OC just as high at the Xs and pretty much the same perf and TDP profile.

If you can wait, I'd wait. I mean it's not like you couldn't sell the systems for 80% of the price you payed either, in a couple months down the line.

Efficient market hypothesis is a fucking meme. It'll take a while for the news to percolate down to most investors. In any case, AMD is coming off a ridiculous hype bubble, it'll probably come down somewhat as people who bought in at the single digits start to cash in.

I'll wait till there's either a clear recovery or until it starts getting close to AMD's Q2 earnings.

Wait for Naples.

25W might be too low for the 8 but who knows? Some guys over on Anandtech were doing some low power/frequency tests and Ryzen was BTFO of everything. I think they got it down to 35-45W but they didn't try particularly hard either.

Unfortunately you're not gonna get more than 8 cores in consumer market, nor are you gonna get two sockets.
So if 8 cores with ECC (no registered) support are gonna cut it for performance, the 1700's are the most efficient and offer the best value.

But first wait for the BIOS/fw/microcode updates.
They might even increase multithreaded perf or lower power, at least that's what happened with MSI's newest BIOS

I'm going to have options or hold some shares for Q1. There is no way in hell that balance sheet will not look good for AMD. Q2 is going to be a fucking riot when the APUs and HPC stuff comes out. Vega 2H. Oh fuck.

twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/837429476237651968

IT's over

I think it is the TDP, the 7700K goes 5ghz with 4 cores on 95W, Ryzen 7 goes 4.0 on 95 with double the cores. Maybe if it were 140W it would go higher

Go 1700 non X. energy cost will be lower.

Zen's sweet spot is 3300MHz, it needs insane voltage to pump over 4.0GHz, this is mostly a fab and design decision.

AMD made a chip that can scale voltage really low, an obvious server characteristic.

Most of these comments sound... Off.

The whole thread smells funny.

Sorry if some of us have more than a layman's knowledge of EE, faggot.

You're smelling something else.

This whole thread is full stock talk, server issues, custom network gear. Aside from a bit of stock talk never have I heard conversations like this on Sup Forums weird how "all" these users have suddenly come out of the woodwork.

So quick to disparage. Team Red+ finally found a talking point, cute but even ShariaBlue does it better.

There has been threads like these way more before, in case you missed the last 24 hours it's mostly just been game shitposting.

Believe it or not there are plenty of people here who didn't drop out of college during their first year of CS. Ryzen's launch was the most anticipated launch is recent history so of course its going to draw a lot of attention.

>a thread not oriented towards consumertards is now sus

Were you even around a few years ago? Sup Forums still had the occasional RE thread (reverse, PBUH) and other decent conversations every now and then.

Of course, now it's almost all consumerfaggotry and generals.

This isn't really some high level discussion at all, it just brought up memories of a more innocent time on this board where not everyone was underage.

There's some nice talk here too But still this is okay-tier at best, if this was difficult then reading RWT must fry your brain.

The 10+ cellphone threads per day really has shitted up the place.
Low brow shallow discussion of meaningless mobile web browsers is so commonplace that discussion of low cost server/workstation hardware is now out of the ordinary.

Can't wait to replace my sandybridge-e bullshit. Waiting for ecc am4 boards.

Intel literally on suicide watch

This fucking destroys them

It wouldn't be so bad if they could just keep it in their containment generals. But no, fucking everyone has to make a new thread whenever someone needs a new smartphone/tablet/laptop.

Sup Forums should have been split into consumer/g/ and tech/g/.

Sup Forums should have enforced self-moderation like old Sup Forums and Sup Forums did years ago and this wouldn't have happened, the gamergame nonsense certainly didn't help.

>*1* processor
>beating 2-4 processors
>not even the highest clocked variant
WHAT

Zen cores have a insanely powerful FPU

Doesn't really make sense to go for an 8 core Ryzen for gaming, the R5 series which will have 6 cores and probably higher clock speeds should be for the gaming market.

>Tfw dual 2680 v1s.

Just a reminder that NAMD can scale over 500k cores, yes, you heard me, five hundred thousand cores.
And zen is not far off from a dual xeon broadwell ( $650 each) with a total of 20 cores while still on a buggy BIOS.

If this doesn't tell you something, especially about AMD's SMT efficiency, I don't know what will.

>TFW I have an E5-2690 v1
It shitstomps the fuck out of it. I want one.

muh gayms

Go back to adults are talking here.

>five hundred thousand cores.
>check top 500
>computahs with 40k CPUs with 16 cores

What a world we live in, and we're still shitposting about 4 cores.

100,000 socket clusters in the 2020s.
Get ready for it.

This means that the future is bright to AMD.
Could they pull something like Larrabe with Zen cores in the future?
I want to see that.

Ill toss my two cents in here.

I got a quad core when it was retarded, I watched the you bought threads you retard, I watched the single core king dual core is shit...

Having watched them all, we finally have a cpu that is worth a damn that is in the 6+core range, while being relatively cheap to boot. we are going to see the same shit again, it clocks lower, its not the best, the people with it are happy, the people who have 4 cores or only look at steril benchmarks will swear by 4 cores.

my only real consideration is what one should i get, i'm stuck between the 1700 because if I oc it, everything kind of has the same bottleneck area, or get the 1800x and have guaranteed clocks. I'm waiting on a bit more info from people who overclock to make a decision.

probably getting a noctua d15 regardless of cpu.

Man you can build a few houses from all those motherboards, yikes.

An accelerator? Doubt it unless XeonPhi's model gets used more than regular GPUs, which I doubt.

Not with Zen cores, they're too big. But if they refine their Cat cores and lean out the design they could. They could also pull on their GPU experience to help with that.

Don't see why they should though, AMD's GPUs are pretty solid from a compute standpoint as it is.

That thing must have compiled gentoo like lightning when it came out.

Only to troll Intel IRL.

amd already has gpus, larrabe was made because intel wanted to make an x86 gpu, failed to make a gpu compelling, but found a new use for many low power but smarter then gpu cores.

they already did that with with athletes when they advertised how fast intel would need to be to compete in the number.

It really doesn't. Most tasks are either embarrassingly parallel, in which case you can just use a GPU anyways, or they're serial-bound, in which case you just use a CPU.

There's not much that really fits the use case of "I need less cores than a GPU but they're all shitty P5 cores" that isn't filled by either existing CPUs or GPUs.

>tfw I've been pointing to the server market as the real place AMD will make waves
>everyone was still going on about the ever shrinking enthusiast consumer market
>tfw Vega is going to be the same story

How could it be any less obvious what these parts were intended for? Up until recently almost all conferences and release notes have been heavily targeted at enterprise workloads with gaming being more or less supplemental. The money to be made from the .1% of people buying top of the line hardware for gaming is nonexistent compared to businesses who spend millions of dollars annually on getting the highest performance per watt parts available. MCM Naples are going to fuck shit up big time.

Sometimes the people who aren't retarded on Sup Forums have a thread ;)

>please intel fail despite competently holding the title for over a decade
>thinks Intel gives a fuck about the desktop market and hasn't got new processors lined up to control and dominate the server market

You seem to forget that AMD is the one always playing catch up.

Intel already has all these contracts in place and Ryzen has yet to prove its stability or reliability. People don't switch overnight. They wait a year and then switch if there's a reasonable profit margin.

That's why nearly every office and business computer maintained Windows 98 until recently despite it being worse than XP or 7 by huge margins because it wasn't worth rolling out hundreds of thousands of copies of new software and potentially thousands of new base units for a tiny performance increase.

Servers are exactly the same. The only people watching Ryzen with absolute interest are video editors and idiots who want the next best desktop CPU despite not using even 10% of their processors power 90% of the time and thus an idiot who could have saves £200 by buying an i3 for the same jobs.

So, in resume
>the cubs won
>trump won
>AMD is competitive again, and Intel is afraid
This is the best timeline, lads.

There's probably not much of a case for that I agree, but I'm wondering what kind of edge cases could the corelet's do good in? All I know is that GPU cores are small, fast and dumb as rocks while P5 cores are still CPU cores to a degree, so somewhat smart.

>SMT efficiency
B-But it leads to buggy single thread performance

Possibly. It was worth about $2k when it hit shelves. They can be had for $200 on ebay now. Boards a shitfuck expensive though due to the glut of chips.

But why though? Like what and said, AMD already has silicon that can do the job already. High serial workloads can be dumped on Ryzen, High parallel workloads can be dumped on GCN. AMD's limited R&D can be put to better uses.

Naples will probably be 3.3ghz boost at the highest. But that'd still be really good single core perf. Still fastest on that list.

Did AMD release R7 before naples so gaymurs can help them debug their microcode??!?

In games, not actual CPU single threaded benches.

Yup.

I was daydreaming lads. You're right, it isn't needed.

At this point I'd be surprised if that wasn't the intention behind this rather unusual launch.

Can you explain how Vega is targeting the server market?

I suppose i can edit 4k videos without a problem with this cpu, right?

Reminder that the Fury was nothing more than a test bed for HBM and silicon interposers.

Sorry not server. Actually sorry for how poorly written that post was in general.

Vega will be great for GPGPU applications and CAD workloads. AMD wants to dethrone Nvidia as kings of machine learning.

It will surprise me if they choke on 8k.

Getting the chip into the hands of the faggot gaymers will let AMD identify issues and fix firmware and software before the more important Naples release, AMD doesn't have a million employees like Intel to testrun them and debug in every single application on the planet, they let us do it.

High perf/watt FP16 focused design with truckloads of bandwidth, also architecture slides.