/hsg/ - Home Server General thread

So, what do you use your home server for, senpai?
Do you prefer low-power servers or full-blown racks?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU1RJKM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B01FU1RJKM&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looks nice. Specs?

@Thor:~$ screenfetch; df-h
_,met$$$$$gg. xxx@Thor
,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P. OS: Debian 8.7 jessie
,g$$P"" """Y$$.". Kernel: x86_64 Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64
,$$P' `$$$. Uptime: 15h 0m
',$$P ,ggs. `$$b: Packages: 1261
`d$$' ,$P"' . $$$ Shell: bash 4.3.30
$$P d$' , $$P CPU: AMD G-T56N @ 1.65GHz
$$: $$. - ,d$$' GPU: AMD/ATI Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]
$$\; Y$b._ _,d$P' RAM: 2037MB / 7942MB
Y$$. `.`"Y$$$$P"'
`$$b "-.__
`Y$$
`Y$$.
`$$b.
`Y$$b.
`"Y$b._
`""""
@Thor:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/dm-2 12G 6.3G 5.7G 53% /
/dev/sdb1 226M 42M 181M 19% /boot
/dev/sda1 193G 146G 47G 76% /data2
/dev/mapper/data_crypt 917G 224G 694G 25% /data
/dev/mapper/backup_crypt 267G 17G 250G 7% /backup
There is also a 16GB SSD under the right HDD. Plus wifi card, 2xUSB 3.0 ports.

bump

posting

enjoy you're space heater power waster

checked, they are always off

I got a old c2d dell pre-built running my Plex server. At some point (after I finish upgrading my outdated desktop with a x4 640), wanna build a box from the ground up with more storage space

What do you use it for?

HP USFF 7900/8000?

Currently using my HTPC as a low powet server.
Am I allowed to post in /hsg/?

HP T610
File server (samba), plus it has a virtual machine with two cores assigned and 6GiB of RAM. It's responsible for LAMP (mostly ampache, wordpress site and some management shit, including status page), game server (L4D2 with modded maps), mail server, print server, transmission-daemon webui, OpenVPN server. Oh, and it has a daemon which tracks my car position via integrated raspberry pi with GPS USB module and 3g modem.
Pretty dank shit.

power*

500GB external HDD pluged in into my router, can smb access it from my pi and phones

Files mostly. Trying to setup torrenting but ran into a snag. I have a Orange pi connected via ethernet to the network along with other devices. It's connected via wifi to a different network of mine. How can I bridge that wifi connection of the orange pi and allow other devices on the ethernet network to utilize it?

I have a home server running WIndows Server 2012 R2.

It used to run Home Server 2011.

The only downside I have seen so far is that it has lost the ability to work with one of the printers we have.

Also the price. I had given my father a copy of ubuntu server and explained to him that I could not afford Windows Server 2012. For the shits and giggles he bought himself a copy like an absolute madman.

We use the server for mostly filesharing though occasionally for webhosting and server hosting (minecraft). It works pretty well. We have several hundred gigabytes of music stored on it for the family's delectation. My only regret is that I cannot access the server when I am off at college.

>buying windows server
>for a home setup that doesn't use any of the server-only features
do you just hate money or what?

My father wanted to have fun, I guess.

how do i into /hsg/?
I have some semi-decent hardware in an old laptop, but whats a good project to get me started?

File sharing...?

pics?
screenshots ot task manager?

yes
any PC with ethernet connection will do the job

i prefer repurposing old desktop shit from the 00's
250mb ram masterrace

I need more ram

>only 3GB used
>need more ram
user, are you sure you need more ram?

Well I don't have my Windows and Loonix VMs running, and Plex isn't currently transcoding

woops, meant for

well then, I think you should optimize your VMs

FreeNAS for files - I only have ssd in the desktop so I need somewhere to archive. It runs plex and transmission if I need it to. Server board with that cool IPMI, 16 gig ECC, 6x 2tb platters, and a little UPS.

You can't just make VMs not use RAM
And you can't transcode video without using RAM either
And ZFS itself uses RAM

Wanted a simple file/media server that uses very little power and the 25W Athlon's were going cheap. Plus at some point I can VMWare it to add an email server or something

Selling most of my server gear because I want to A) upgrade and B) pay off my car.

So the Dell T620 (2x 2660v1 / 160GB RAM / 4x 250GB SSD / 12x 3TB HDD) is going away, as is the switch (Dell X1018P), the firewall (APU1D4) and phones (Polycom CX600).

For now, pushing a DL380 G5 (2x 5450 / 64GB / 8x 600GB 15K) back into service. I have bunch more 600's, and am thinking about picking up an MSA70 because they're cheap.

Also moving Exchange and Lync back to Office365 and cutting internet down to basics.

Current workload is 2 DC's, sharepoint foundation, TFS express, SQL express, and IIS.

Also have a pair of Wyse Z90's that I'm using as terminals into Windows 8 VM's.

It works well enough.

nice numberos

>160GB RAM

16x 8GB, 8x 4GB.

rasppi, fileserver, resilio, pihole

i3 3220 / 12GB RAM on some w/e mobo
Crucial M500 120GB for system/VMs/more important files
WD Green 2TB for torrents and random shit
Micron M500 120GB msata because i had no other use for it and it was the only pc i had with msata slot. not really used, i might just make it into external ssd sometime in the future.
4x1Gbit hp branded intel NIC, because i got it for free. provides dedicated interfaces for VMs.

i use it for torrents, samba and like 2 VMs (windows to not clutter my main pc with random/risky crap and linux for random crap i don't want to clutter my homeserver with)

Maybe someone here can help.

Anything wrong with this?

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FU1RJKM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B01FU1RJKM&linkCode=as2&tag=thedaionl-21

I have a rack, but I use tower servers since I hate the noise.

Anything that can be lower power, is.

>doesn't have ECC

couldn't you just teamviewer into the thing if you really wanted to make use of it. I'm sure there are better solutions than this.

My old desktop does not support ECC, user

>celelon

HP DL360/DL380 G6 and newer
Dell R610/T620 - near silent

The T620 I have is quiet enough to sit in the living room near the TV.

celerons are fine for file servers.

Xeon e3-1240v2
16gb ram
Sandisk SSD for OS
4x4tb WD reds
SAS hba with two external ports
Silverstone 4x 3.5" enclosure
3x3tb Toshibas and a 1.5tb seashit

It's running Ubuntu server right now. Use it for plex, QB, centralised backups for all my devices, a couple of VMs, FTP server and SSH tunneling when abroad.

I'd buy another one or two if harddrives weren't so fucking expensive right now.

Overpriced for what it is. I can get a microserver gen8 for just a little more and if you look at used servers you'll get some real bargains.

>HP DL360/DL380 G6 and newer
Ok, now put them under a load. I had a DL380 G6 before I retired it for newer equipment.
>Dell R610/T620
T620, absolutely. R610, no.

g7 is better

>R610
>no
Yes, actually. I have a pair sitting under my desk at work. Both have a pair of Xeon 5660's, 96GB RAM, and 6x 400GB Pliant Lightning SSD's.

Co-worker has a single R610 (2x 5520 / 48GB / 6x 600GB 10K) as well. Drivers are louder than the servers, and they're quieter than ambient office noise levels.

Are all HP servers faggots when it comes to fans? Mine has shitty proprietary connectors and it doesn't boot without it.

For storage maybe but I would miss iLO, dual ethernet, ecc and my xeon.

It certainly isn't better by any means but enough for pure storage.

I use an old Athlon X2 atm, before that a pi. I've got my eye on Craigslist hoping to find something fun that won't be to bad on the power bill.

i do stuff

Do you not do anything with them? There is no way 1U and 2U rackmounts aren't going to make noise under load. Maybe if you have them in a freezer with no expansion cards.
I don't know what you mean. The rackmounts either have custom-ish sized fans or they're hot swappable which requires custom connectors. They're not expensive, so I just replaced them with the original equipment.

>those fucking wires

GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mine is some piece of shit 5pin connector and if nothing is connected to it it won't boot.

If I host a website in home server . Will it be accessible from internet?
>Here is underground pedo market link if anyone is interested
>2400:cb00:2049:1::adf5:3a8c

>iLO
G7s had iLO in expresscard slot.
>dual ethernet
one expresscard slot left, also there is a single integrated one
>ecc
but there is ecc
>xeon
fair point, but for storage this AMD cpu is fine

>expresscard
sweet jesus, what am I talking about
PCI express slot*

I was thinking about getting one of those hp microserver, but the 16GB RAM is holding me back.
How many vm's do you have running?

Repurposing old shit is cool, but old chips tend to consume massive amounts of power to do basically nothing, so you're paying for it via electricity bills.

Is that an old e900 i spy?

For a short time I used my android tablet for my AMP needs. It worked for the most part, but there were a few issues that made it too much of a hassle to keep using. Beyond that I just run my shit on my PC when I need it.

ea2700, gives me an access point that hosts its own dhcp in case my routing goes down and i need direct access to management vlan

are you retarded?
You have to have a public IPv4 address, plus you have to open up port forwarding to your server on the router

Depends how much you allocate to each. I usually have around ~20 running with 512mb each.

>Do you not do anything with them? There is no way 1U and 2U rackmounts aren't going to make noise under load

It all depends on how much heat you're willing to tolerate. Configuring as UEFI vs BIOS helps as well. Both are v-hosts, each running:

2x Server 2012 r2 DC's
1x Exchange 2010 CAS
2x Exchange 2010 MBX
1x Exchange 2013 AiO
1x Exchange 2016 AiO
1x ZEN load balancer
2x Win 7 client
2x Win 8.1 client
2x Win 10 client
1x ADFS
1x DirSync

These are used in Office 365 Exchange troubleshooting. Average system load is ~30%.

When you compare a R610 vs a 1950, the thermal management is orders of magnitude better.

When you throw a server in a rack, zero fucks are given about noise. By configuring thermal and acoustic management, it's less to non problematic.

why would you need an ipv4? an ipv6 address will work too

no it won't
kill yourself

what's a good 2-4 bay NAS that is quiet and cheap?

Only gonna use it for torrenting and local storage.

>I don't know what I'm talking about
IPv6 runs fine w/o IPv4.

The only time you need IPv4 is if you're running a 6 to 4 tunnel.

Stop being retarded.

All these faggits and their shit tier servers.

Meanwhile I have directly attached storage on my massive workstation, orders of magnitude faster than your pokey ass ethernet. Instead of spending money on this shit and that shit, just spend it all on a massive workstation that can do the job of all that bullshit you've bought combined.

Home servers are a meme, and you fucks fell for it.

>It all depends on how much heat you're willing to tolerate.
Not really, even when you select the lower cooling settings on rackmounts, they're going to be loud when you really load them up. I'm not seeing anything that would be that resource heavy on your machines, unless you're actually running them in a business.
>When you throw a server in a rack, zero fucks are given about noise.
Yea, hence why they don't care much about the acoustics. They care about reliability and, thus, cooling. We're talking about homes. Quiet equipment gives you more flexibility.

What are you talking about, shitlord?
You do realize not everyone needs fuckload of resources, just like you?
>it's shit because it's not as fast as mine!
You're a delusional stupid fuck. Quit breathing

Congratz. You have USB drives.

Retard...

>not purchasing equipment that fills the role

Kill yourself

>You do realize not everyone needs fuckload of resources
in a thread where people boast about their lame ass servers.

>Congratz. You have USB drives.
bitch please
All my drives are DASD and mirrored

>>not purchasing equipment that fills the role
my point exactly instead of buying a hodge podge of shit equipment

>All my drives are DASD and mirrored
Yes, USB IS a Direct Attached Storage Device.

And you're still retarded...

Mini-ITX 10TB i7 Quad 16GB Windows Server 2012 R2, runs 24x7. AD, DNS, DHCP, GPO, WSUS, WDS, MDT, SCCM... dozen PCs fully automated environment.

>boast
in your imagination
>lame ass servers
define "lame".
Also remember to quit breathing, you toxic piece of shit.

baby's first home server fag ass blasted and BTFO

still not USB faggit

Try harder shit tier troll

>troll
someone who didn't fall for the home server meme

If you don't need one don't get one faggot

>still not USB faggit
Trying this hard...

try harder
please also toggle your tripcode, so I can easily filter it.

Why are people this retarded allowed on Sup Forums?

*tips fedora*