Do you wipe your laptop before sending it for repairs?

My bag carrying my asus laptop fell from my shoulder and when I took it out it later at college, it gave out a weird sound which eventually went away when I shook it a little. I bought it in September.
Now I could get it repaired but should I wipe it before handing it over to the people who repair it? Is it risky? I've downloaded a lot of memes and anime pictures from this site and it would be dangerous in the wrong hands right?

Other urls found in this thread:

veracrypt.codeplex.com/documentation
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you're that desperate justremove the disk before sending it in

>before sending it for repairs
>not repairing yourself
out, now

That's why you always use full-disk encryption.

I don't send my laptops for repairs.

Had to send it way too many times. Anyway, I don't use its original HDD, I use an SSD with a clean Windows 7 installation. Before sending it I just replace the disk with the one the laptop came with, which has no personal data on it, because I never used it.

depending on what broke they may wipe out your hard disk anyways so you have to backup your shit, and since you're backupping you may as well wipe out your hdd too when you're done

I have a Thinkpad, I don't need to send it for repairs.

You don't want the repair people to steal your memes and anime cuties right?
For real though if you have any lolis you could maybe get in trouble.

Repair it yourself you mong
Encrypt and backup your disk

>repairing it myself
That voids the warranty doesn't it?

Exactly

Cool

Do you have an overview of how that works?

Well I'd prefer not to.

>Do you have an overview of how that works?
veracrypt.codeplex.com/documentation

>That voids the warranty doesn't it?

>current year 45^2 - 8
>not fixing things yourself
>not having a laptop with access to the disk without dismantling it
>not encrypting the disk
>not making backups
>falling for the warranty meme

Thank you

Sorry but I'm not a mechanic or a computer science major.

You're on Sup Forums you fucking weeb, if you don't at least know how to disassemble your computer i suggest you fuck off or start learning.
Just google "how to disassemble/open " and have a look around. You'll learn loads

The trick is to buy laptops that break after waranty, preferably 6+ years after waranty.

So far it werks.

I don't. But I also don't have a huge lolicon collection or worse.

>Well I'd prefer not to.

Perfect. So now you got two options:

Either you can live with the uncertainty and just send it in.

Or if you realize you can't let go of the anxiety that something might go wrong. Create a clone of the hard drive and save it up somewhere else. Then format the HDD, delete pictures, whatever is needed to feel safe. You could create something like Clonezilla for this.

fix it yourself you fucking newfag

What if I just encrypt the drive?

just remove the drive or encrypt it

most laptops have easy to access drives so you can just remove a few screws and unplug it in less than a few minutes