How many distros did you go through before you found "the one"?

How many distros did you go through before you found "the one"?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ametisf/dwc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Never found it...

I chose the best distro from the start, never had a reason to change.

just one.
I started with ubuntu, now I'm on arch.
I don't see any reason to change

I started with Arch and never switched, so none.
I'd like to give Gentoo a shot but I just cba to change.

i've been through a fair few, i've used linux mint, fedora, arch, manjaro and settled on ubuntu mate because there's no reason to make my life harder than it needs to be

Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, Gentoo, FreeBSD...
then I found "the one".
arch.
it just felt right.

>waiting to compile

5 then i hackintoshed and said "Fuck it. I'm just going to use this from now on." I might switch back to xubuntu but im not sure yet.

I've never had to switch. Fulfills all my needs and I've never needed to hassle with it.

anooo

Fedora
Debian
Ubuntu
Mepis
Suse
Mint
Puppy
antix
crunchbang
bodhi
ultimate edition
various ones that don't exist anymore..

Probably about 30+ distros in varying versions since 2005.

One of my favourites was Mepis, it's theme was beautiful out of the box, and it's flash implementation beat the shit out of all the rest. Maybe it was because KDE3 was superior to gnome.

Anyway now I'm on Arch with awesome, and feel fashionable.

Mint -> Lubuntu -> Debian -> antergos -> arch
Been on arch now for a few months, so I'm probably not moving anytime soon.

Two.
Manjaro --> Peppermint OS

Though I had been exposed to Ubuntu as a kid

lets see:
> papa loads installs on my pc: debian, suse, knoppix
> pretend im interested in linux, but as soon as he leaves the room i play the games in the under the games tab
> years pass, windows crashes on me yet again, find out that a game i play also works on linux
>whynot.jpeg
>install ubuntu lts 10.04, google-pave my way through all the problems (nvidia install, wlan install etc.) until i get the game to work
>eventually ubuntu goes to shit
>try out arch, gentoo (no rly) and eventually stick with ubuntu 14.04 or some shit
> one day finally earn money and buy highend pc, ubuntu cant handle skylake yet so install arch
> don't really like it, try to avoid pacman -Syu but that's what I'm stuck with now

so op arch it is, on my laptop still ubuntu lts

My first ditro was gnome 2 ubuntu. My current distro is mate ubuntu.

>How many distros did you go through before you found "the one"?

Just one. I started with Ubuntu back in 2008. Later, GNOME 2 was discontinued and the alternatives (Unity and GNOME 3) were absolutely unacceptable.

So I tried out Linux Mint KDE, and I have been with it ever since.

The average life cycle of a Sup Forumsentooman:
>Ubuntu/Mint
>Debian/Fedora
>Arch/Gentoo/whatever minimalistic/obscure distro
>back to Debian/Fedora/Ubuntu

Save yourself time and skip the Arch/Gentoo phase.

Ubuntu (oh shi im not special snowflake enough) ->
Debian (oh shi so much bloat) ->
Arch (oh shi pacman failed my xorg.conf again) ->
Manjaro (oh shi ancient packages) ->
Arch (oh shi systemd) ->
Gentoo (oh shi i fucked dependency graph so no updates for fucking forever) ->
Fedora (Just don't care anymore, started doing real shit)

Mint, deepin, stuck with elementary OS for awhile, xubuntu, now I'm on manjaro and I'm pretty happy.

Tried them all. Settled on pic related.

>Debian (oh shi so much bloat) ->
>Arch
A minimal Debian installation is smaller than a minimal Arch installation.

debian to openbsd to os x

Started with Ubuntu, after trying about 15 settled on Ubuntu

Started with Ubuntu, eventually it broke after updating.
Went to Mint next, liked it but the limited repository was shit.
Used Arch next, loved it, AUR is the best.
Used Gentoo for some time, didn't really like it as much as Arch so I switched back

Suse
Debian

Maybe 10 or so before I started using Mac OS X

I've been using FreeBSD for my entire life. I tried Windows VIsta when I was younger but it was hell.

I don't even want to touch Linux.

this

Windows
Ubuntu (very briefly)
Debian
Mac OS

Still use Debian on my older machines.

I chose Void Linux (musl with Wayland and runit with github.com/ametisf/dwc as my wm) because I like it and it's all Linux regardless, just choose one distro and stick to it forever

are you BSDBox on Youtube?

Wayland on FreeBSD is a thing now, I'm just waiting forRust cargo to be ported then that's a deal breaker, I'm switching from Void Linux to FreeBSD, plus gaming performance is better and Linux kernel is bloated and bad

Windows
OSX Leopard
Arch
Debian
Gentoo
Ubuntu
Mac OS Sierra+

So Windows 7 for gayming, Ubuntu for coding and Mac OS for work.

I switch between arch and gentoo when the other breaks a few things.

Debian -> Ubuntu -> Debian
That was hard.

>Debian (oh shi so much bloat)
>thinks number of packages translates to huge bloat
Yeah, all of those libs sure are bloating your shit up huh? Dumb Fedoraposter.

Started with Ubuntu, it was shit. Moved to Manjaro, was good, but not autistic enough. Installed Arch, liked it, but wanted to go even further. Installed Gentoo, 2 hours to compile Firefox; went back to Arch.

No but I will look him up

How's Rust working for you?

Ubuntu user here, what distro could detect my HD7950 card? Performance is shait with Canonical's universal AMD driver.

BSDBox is pretty cool

ubuntu -> mint -> manjaro
those were my main systems, in between those i tried a bunch for a week or two
>arch
>puppy
>gentoo
>xubuntu
>solus

Rust is quite nice as a replacement for C++ (shit) and as a general replacement for C
however I still use C for embedded stuff and far more low level stuff, but for major applications (including Android and iOS apps) and security apps I make them in Rust, I use Go for all my web stuff.

ubuntu -> mint -> debian -> arch -> debian again
thinking about switching to fedora or ubuntu again, but debian testing comfy

Ubuntu, Kubuntu (if that even counts as a switch), Debian stable, Debian unstable, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Manjaro and Arch.
Arch just werks once you're done with the installation
>inb4 have fun fixing xorg XD

> implying that takes any time at all

I like distrohopping.

Ubuntu > Debian > Arch > Ubuntu (because GNOME justwerks™ out of the box, which isn't the case of Debian, but fuck stable repos)

I'll have to check out the documents for it real soon.

>Trying to convince me that it doesn't.

Gnome 3 is a good DE now.

Not in chronological.

opensuse
fedore
pardus
mint
debian
macos

Settled on Ubuntu.

like 30 distros

fedora was the one i eventually stayed with

>ubuntu/debian/linux mint distros don't boot on my hp laptop
>neither does arch/gentoo
>ibus-anthy doesn't work with manjaro
>mpv and the application menu don't work with opensuse
>some distros wouldn't work with gnome without fucking up

1. Ubuntu. At least for now. It's the best out of 8 distros I've tried. Second best is probably Zorin. Gonna try openSUSE next.
And no, I haven't tried gentoo nor am I going to.

Oh hey WebKit wants to recompile! Time to wait 2 hours while CPU is pegged!

missing crunchbang #! ebin distro

Started out with elementaryOS because of the "looks like macOS" meme.
Second distro I tried was Arch (not that manjaro/antergos crap) and it's stuck ever since.

So you're still new to Linux?

I've been on Arch for a good 3 and a half years, so I wouldn't put it like that

#! is dead, it's bunsenlabs now

i went from ubuntu -> mint -> xubuntu -> antergos -> regular arch -> ubuntu mate -> fedora before i found elementaryOs and fiddled with it until it worked perfect.

it's still got a few stupid things that bug me though, like how Gala can't resize half-snapped windows and how you can't replace it without breaking a bunch of stuff.

windows98
windowsxp
windowsvista
windows 8
windows 8.1
ubuntu
windows10
mint
elementaryos
deepin
windows 8.1
xfce on ubuntu (xubuntu) lol windows 95 shit
kde on ubuntu ewww
osx elcapitan on hackintosh
windows10
fedora24
windows10 anniversary update
fedora25
???

I tried like 10 before realising that gnee/lolnix is useless on desktop

Debian -> openSUSE

-citation needed

Started with Ubuntu many years ago, switched to Mint. Back to windows, few years pass, start getting back into the linux, here my dark period starts, I became influenced by memes, they tell me arch "just werks", I install arch, arch is a pain in the ass, they say manjaro is like arch but it "just werks", it's a lie, I switch to OpenSUSE, they said OpenSUSE Tumbleweed was the only good openSUSE because it's rolling distro. I tried many other memes by myself, because I didn't want to be a pleb that used a well established well liked well functioning distro. I now use Ubuntu on all my computers.

Debian - kali - fedora - mageia - elementary - Antergos

Antergos by far the best. Its arch without autsim, never needed a reason to switch.

References:
I'm not an autistic distro hopper

/thread

-citation needed for you not being autistic

Red Hat in the late 90's (deleted after a month)
Ubuntu in late 2000's
Kubuntu (worst)
Xubuntu
Linux Mint Cinnamon

Not sure if it's "the one" but I'm not looking at other distros. I would only consider an Ubuntu derivative at this point because it's where the majority of the community lives and I'm not a hacker, I just google my way out of problems and to be honest... haven't had any problems since Ubuntu, just new computers

> Linux Lite
> Debian
> Ubunbu
> Arch
> Failed attempt to install Gentoo
> Fedora
> Ubuntu
> Kali
> Arch
> Ubuntu
> Windows 10
> Ubuntu

I want to install gentoo now but I'm too lazy

slackware and arch before i found gentoo

That looks comfy.

I've tried pretty much every distro south of Gentoo. Found arch and really loved it. I use manjaro and its hard for me to complain now because it combines what I like about arch with a little more stability.

I have been on Ubuntu mate for quite some time now. I really like it.

3 years and 7 distros to find out MacOS is superior.

It's ok, user. Being a homosexual is accepted in $CURRENT_YEAR.

Greg?

Fedora since July 2016. First and hopefully last distro.

I bet you wear a fedora too

*tips fedora*

At least someone remembers...

i love debian minimal net installs but youll have to install damn near everything and im okay with that

That's correct. It keeps my head warm and protects me from dirty distro-switching thoughts.

Is linux lite good? I hear it's better than xubuntu.

This.

I've "tried" dozens in the sense I played with them for ten minutes and gave up. The first distro I sat and learnt how to use was elementary

Ubuntu>Debian>Manjaro>Xubuntu

I'm gonna stay on xu for a long time

+1 I've tried using Debian, Arch, Ubuntu, Mint, and backtrack/kali and none of them could do everything I wanted but Windows could.

I initially tried Mageia, OpenSUSE, and Fedora, but years ago I settled on Debian for work and Arch for home. I've been happy ever since.

the top 7.

ended up with two different ones for my main machines

Same desu

retard

There really is no "the one", and people chasing it are destined to leave Linux eventually. I started using Linux in 2007 and I used Ubuntu from 7.04 until 16.04. Sure, I tried a ton of distributions on the way in virtual machines, but my desktop ran Ubuntu for 9 years. Only with 16.04 and some of its bugs did I decide to switch. I went to Fedora and haven't looked back, but if Fedora fucked something up tomorrow, I'd be back on Ubuntu GNOME without hesitation.

I think what people really need to find is what works for them and what desktop environment or window manager is "the one". After a certain point distribution doesn't matter. As long as I could get GNOME 3.16 or higher, I can use pretty much any distribution these days. I'd be most comfortable on Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora since I'm comfortable with their command line tools, but I've even got an Arch box with a super basic install running GNOME and while using the desktop, you can't tell the difference.

Find your DE/WM, try a few distros who offer it (or preferably default to it), and see what you like.

why the fuck we need 300 linux distro and.. all sux. we could have 1-2-3 max and good.

>95
>98
>XP
>vista
>XP again
>W7
>W10 for about 15 minutes
>ubuntu
>W7 again

Yes.

>Mac OS
so you turned gay?