This thing is fucking huge

Jesus Christ what the fuck is it?

>found by side of road near an industrial supplies company
>fucking heavy
>So big

I think it's some kind of super power supply? What should I do with it? Prolly gonna take apart and salvage components out of it for my arduino or raspi projects in the future

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=SGI Octane Power Supply&_sacat=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably a hot swappable power supply for a server or something similar

this, but not server, likely some work station like SGI Octane 2

Fuck these components are huge.

>470 micro farad, 450 V caps
>huge individually heat sunk transistors
>relays, fucking relays!

>fucking relays!
how would you turn it off and on programmatically without a relay?
Also google price back in the day for a SGI Octane

Not gonna lie OP, that's a score

Nice caps! I'm jealous!

>Prolly gonna take apart and salvage components
Livestream it, I wanna watch you kill yourself after you don't properly discharge the capacitors.

I wouldn't take it apart

It's way more useful in once piece

Next time you want to run something high power, you'll regret it

>touching huge caps with bare fingers
you're a retard who will meet Darwin in the near future.

It's only dangerous if you are a small child

anyone who isn't retarded knows to short the capacitors with a screwdriver. Big whoop.

>knows to short the capacitors with a screwdriver
confirmed for a retard. never touch electronics again.

This is a power supply for an industrial refrigeration unit. I can't believe you idots think it's for a server.

congrats, you're in possession of stolen property and providing evidence against the impending case against you

BTFO BY

Discharge the capacitors with a resistor

dat ass

why is there a headphone jack? to hear the electricity?

Or a sizable network switch.

It's a workstation computer

So multiple content creators in an office setting can listen to their media without disturbing their coworkers. You know, shit employed adults do.

you could also do it with your tounge as long as you touch - polarity first

bitcoin miner

it is way too nice to be part of a fridge

Does this thing have a light bar? These things are respectably beautiful.

power supply out of an SGI Octane workstation as already said apparently
if it works don't fucking gut it, people will pay for those, shit I'd love a working one for mine

now find the rest of it and get yourself a real computer :^)

Give it back Jamal

there is resistance in a screwdriver

>let's just crack open this PSU

What were they thinking on that fan grill?

It's a handle to remove it, just like how the motherboard also has a handle. You don't open the case, you pull the components out the back.

>casually gutting some old workstation PSU
Are you dead yet, OP?

Not that fan steve. The case fan.

They had to make it look rad so it'd match the rest of the computer

Shit probably hasn't been powered on in forever. As long as he's not a dumbass he'd probably be alright.

He should still fix it and undercut jewish resellers on Ebay so someone else can save a dead Octane though.

It's a PSU for an air conditioner.

source: I seen one b4

>why does the video editing/SFX workstation have a headphone jack

What are these machines used for professionally usually?

Visual effects, virtual reality, CAD, modelling, just about anything 3D. Their graphics hardware was peerless for a long time, and just about every big-name studio had at least one or two of those boxes somewhere in the production process doing CGI work. They could also do editing just fine but I think they usually gave that work to Macs and Wintel boxes instead.

Scientific types loved them too for their architecture that was closer to a supercomputer than a typical desktop, they had insane memory bandwidth matched with decent FP performance that made them great for a lot of that kind of computing which usually dealt with solving memory-intensive problems using big data sets, plus they had a great operating system and development environment.

Oh, and they also saw a decent amount of use as instrument controllers, usually for stuff like medical imaging but I've also seen them used in semiconductor plants for whatever reason.

diff user here but this is
interesting, thanks for the posts/pics

More like a server rack.

Those caps are storing mains voltage and may not have discharge resistors over them, so touching them isn't smart.

Using a screwdriver is a valid option.

Using a resistor is only a valid option if you get a properly rated resistor for it, which you probably won't. If it's under rated it will burn up, which is better than shocking yourself but still stupid.

>server rack
It's just a 650 W supply, probably barely even utilized by a typical config anyway. Maybe if you were running a decked to shit config with dual R10/R12Ks, dual MXI/MXE graphics boards and a loaded PCI cage or something.

Sure there is, but in terms of milliohms. Next time use a power resistor.

Holy fuck we had those when I was working at Eurocopter.

OP here. Luckily everything was discharged so I didn't fucking zap myself. Thanks for all the cool info!

>power output rail had been fucked somehow, 2 pins burnt to a black crisp
>obviously a short somewhere
>decide "fuck it, I have to use for this hyper specialized 767 watt output PS"
>start trying to desolder components with vacuum pump thingy and also desolder braid
>neither method works. Wtf.
>some kind of high temp solder? My gun can't seem to melt it down for some reason. Is this a thing?

The case and fan I will keep off to the side. Will make an amazing project case for something.

That's a heavy board full of copper, your average 30 W iron will be about as effective at heating it as cooling a GTX480 by breathing at it.

OH MY GOD JC

>how would you turn it off and on programmatically without a relay?
Transistors? Are you retarded?

had these in the old graphics and cad work lab in my old mechanical engineering faculty
they threw em in trash containers in 2006 I think

>That faggot who destroyed an xbox devkit to make an case for pc

even worse was the guy who destroyed a pre-release testing xbox model, even rarer than a plain devkit model

Put some solder on your iron before you start to de-solder, will make it super easy. Litterally just have a massive blob.
Also try adding some solder first.

Some old tech got coated in a clear resin like material to stop/prevent shorts and human discharge resistor syndrome.

Also, it may use lead-free solder, which has a higher melting point then regular leaded solder.

If so, grab some lead-free solder and apply that to iron.

>your average 30 W iron will be about as effective at heating it as cooling a GTX480 by breathing at it.

kek

You're an idiot.

ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=SGI Octane Power Supply&_sacat=0

> Will make an amazing project case for something.
Post some of your work or shut the fuck up. We all know you won't do shit with it.

SAVAGE

Electronics-illiterate tard here, what exactly is the big deal with all of this

How do you handle this kind of high power stuff without zapping yourself to death

Kek

>$100 - $200 for a 20yo PSU
What the fuck is wrong with people?

>He doesn't know about flux

Neck yourself

Carefully. Quick and dirty way is to short the terminals with a screwdriver. Make the fuck sure you are not touching any metal parts of the driver while you do it. Expect a decent spark.

Better way is to put a 10W 10k resistor across the terminals via some alligator leads for a few minutes.

They really spared no expense when they made that PSU. Wonder how much something like that would cost now.

electronics engineer here, why exactly is this not what to do?
haven't microwave repairmen been discharging the main giant capacitors in them with screwdrivers since the invention of the microwave?

Me again, Microwave caps are about the only ones I would put a dummy load across, typically a 100W globe. I have welded screwdrivers to those things before, they are a whole next level of fuck your day up.

What do you engineer?

your destruction shitlord

Thought so.

I'm in a commercial industry but work with much lower voltages
if somehow the solder got hot enough to reflow while discharging and your screwdriver got stuck to the solder I could see that, but worst case on these PSU caps is mains?
also it's not like touching the top of the cap is going to do anything, and I find it really hard to believe high end supplies like this wouldn't have discharge circuitry to begin with

I'm talking specifically about microwave caps with spade terminals. I've never had a PCB based cap light up hard enough to weld my driver in place.

Who the fuck cares, modern stuff is better anyway

I bet you that a i7 can smoke whatever device had that PSU

bait/10

Ya dont fucking say user..

Are you twelve?

THICC

so asking around this seems to be a common occurrence, huh! learned something on 4chins