GPU or CPU upgrade?

My current CPU and GPU;
- R9 280x Toxic OC
- i7 2600k 4.5ghz

Would it be better to upgrade my GPU or CPU first? Was thinking of getting a gtx 1080 now, or buy a CPU and waiting for the gtx 1080ti.

If all I do is gaming, with possible plans to start streaming and recording videos. Would it be better to invest in a ryzen or i7 7700k?

I don't know what to upgrade first and I can't do both right now.

GPU first.

CPU is still good enough for MOST games, though it should be your next upgrade.

GPU
i7

>ryzen
>gaming
lolno
Better buy new gpu and wait for the new cpu releases,

4 cores is not enought for encoding. The process doesn't benefit from good single core performance, but from good multithreaded performance which is where Ryzen CPUs excel against any Intel competitor.

Could you recommend a CPU?

What ryzen / what intel processor would be best in this current day?

>4 cores is not enought for encoding
depends what kind of encoding we're talking about.

With a newer GPU he can just use hardware encoding.

6700k/7700k or the lowest end Ryzen out right now the R7 1700.

Ryzen 1800X no competitors.

shill

>With a newer GPU he can just use hardware encoding.

NVenc looks like poop.

>good goy buy the $1000 6900k

What would be better if we're talking about CPU performance in 2020? Will developers utilize more cores / threads? If so would the Ryzen be a better future investment?

don't buy ryzen - it's only good for multithread (aka maybe some day in future someone will write SMP software) and sucks at single thread (modern state of the art ain software)

i7-6950x

There is literally no reason to upgrade from a 2600K. Even at stock speeds it performs better than a Skylake i5 in CPU-intensive newer games, since they like eight threads. At 4.5GHz there's not a game in existence that it'll have issues with. Though you could probably crank it a bit more, since 4.5 is a fairly modest overclock for Sandy Bridge.

>Will developers utilize more cores / threads
Multithread programming for consoles is more important than ever and because the gaming market there is more important developers will have to multithread their games for maximum performance. The importance of single thread performance will diminish over time.

>If so would the Ryzen be a better future investment
It's already a good investment now if you're not gayming. If you're bothered by a 1fps difference then probably don't get Ryzen.

>NVenc looks like poop.
Meh, it's not that bad. Perfectly fine for youtube video quality.

>>good goy buy the $1000 6900k
Im the one who said get the R7-1700.

No reason to waste money on the 1800x when they're the same basic shit and OCing looks to be more motherboard dependent than chip.

>Multithread programming for consoles
wrong, it's only important because they run EVERYTHING in virtual machines giving n cores out of M (n

Is that really how it works? I guess it makes sense how so many "applications" can be suspended and resumed on consoles currently.

Consoles have additional physical processors to handle the OS. I don't know from where you bring up this VM thing.

well, not quite as I've written of course, but still they use hypervisor for partitioning hardware and they've got typically 2 OS instances - one Gaming OS (all cores minus 2-3), another APPs OS (~2 cores).

wrong again
also

also have you noticed that windows 10 run a lot of untrusted stuff in Hyper-V? Me neither, but it does.

just use gpu encoding

>with possible plans to start streaming and recording videos

Ryzen for sure, get the 1700 or 1700x