GPU Thread

Hello there

currently I'm still using my old Radeon 6870. I stopped gayming a few years ago so I never saw a reason to upgrade. Currently I'm powering
a 1080p screen and a 1280x1024 screen with it but I want to upgrade to 1440p. My plan is to get a 27" 1440p screen and use my old 24"
1080p as my secondary screen. I've noticed though that my current setup already brings the Radeon to 70°C idle. There's also a lot of flickering
and sometimes my screens go black for several seconds. I guess it has reached the end of its life so I'm looking for a replacement. Can you
recommend anything? What I need:

>power efficient, quiet GPU
>must be able to power a 1440p and a 1080p screen
>with DVI or HDMI if possible. I don't want to use an adapter for my old 1080p screen.
>max 300€

Other urls found in this thread:

mindfactory.de/product_info.php/2GB-KFA2-GeForce-GTX-1050-OC-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1126381.html
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814202275&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Video Cards - AMD/ATI-_-N82E16814202275&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYu8qmCY-QbnWSKzC9hk1euaGqR5Ox230StRjP92EUzRoCXnPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I stopped gayming a few years ago so I never saw a reason to upgrade
Fuck it, a 470 should be all you need

Need some info user

1: Are you going to be playing games now?
2: What wattage is your power supply?
3: Do you need any of the new GPU memeTM technologies or will an older one be just fine?

Vega comes out soon
and so does the 1080ti

JUST WAIT

eurobro?

get a 1050. doesn't require a power connector and is super cheap and always on deal in europe.

mindfactory.de/product_info.php/2GB-KFA2-GeForce-GTX-1050-OC-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1126381.html

100 euro

Considering you still use a 6870, i'm sure an Intel HD from latest gen CPU will be enough

There's really no reason that you need anything other than a GT 710 screen adapter style card, but for the sake of recommending a real GPU, any of the single-fan GTX 1050s (ASUS Phoenix, Gigabyte Low Profile) will run without an external power connector, have DVI, Display Port and HDMI, and will run at idle without the fans spinning. An RX 460 will be a little cheaper, but needs the 6 pin connector.

why do they add the steam? so fucking gross and stupid

GTX or RX?

GTX1060 6gb edition, if you want to spend your whole budget, a GTX1070.

I came from a 280x to my GTX1070. I had very exact same issues as you're having. I got 2 and half years out ofmy card, granted you've gotten more - but I just expect more life out of GPU's. My old 8800 GTS is still going today in my grandmother's computer and my old 570GTX is still going in my friend's media computer build. The 280x is the first gpu I went with AMD and it was great until it started shitting on me after a couple years. I'm super happy with my GTX1070 I got on sale for $330 (the usual $370 EVGA one).

I'd highly recommend it or the 6gb GTX1060 if you want to save some $

actually, yeah if you don't gayme - just get a GTX1050i. Powerful and still more than enough for gaming if you do decide to do it.

this or AMD APU will do

To add onto this, you probably don't even need to get a new GPU. If your card is idling at such a high temperature, all you probably need to do is replace the thermal paste. It takes a couple of minutes. I did it on a 290X of mine that I sold to a friend (had been using it for about 18 months), and the load temps decreased by 20 degrees Celsius.

RX, but really the only thing gpu will affect since you don't game anymore is video upscaling playback and media production

You could probably get away with something even cheaper actually.

OP just wants to be able to power 2 monitors, not game on them. Why would they waste all that money?

Wait for a deal and get a 1080. Remember it will take amd years before reaching that level of performance so you won't get obsolete soon.

Hey OP, I would suggest a RX480 8GB it sits right between $200 and $250 price to performance it's really good and is more then enough for your set up.

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814202275&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-Mobile-_-pla-_-Video Cards - AMD/ATI-_-N82E16814202275&gclid=CjwKEAiA6OnFBRDcgt7YmPKI33ESJACJoTJYu8qmCY-QbnWSKzC9hk1euaGqR5Ox230StRjP92EUzRoCXnPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

With the extra money you can up your RAM or buy a game if your budget is $300

Meh. Too much performance and to expensive. I should have told you, I'm German. 1070s go for 400€-500€ here.

This is probably a good option. All I want is high resolutions for desktop use.

PS: I think I could even go for a 1050ti. You never know when you need the additional VRAM. 4GB is kinda the unofficial minimum as by now.

This, however the XFX GTR RX480 is a better card.

I'm not gonna go AMD again but if I were to buy a Radeon I'd get the RX460.

Why not? The RX 460-80 are great cards.

Wait for vega, or get the r9 Fury.

>6870
He's using the old drivers from when AMD drivers were shit

I had some problems with 17.2.1 on my RX480

I think it might have stabilized, but I was getting driver crashes in 80% of games and even on my desktop

6850/6870 work well with the radeon drivers.

Does anyone have this card ? I'm going to get one soon

I just bought one, haven't put it in the computer yet. All the reviews show it running cooler and performing better than the other 480s.
Pictured is the back, think they forgot it edit it.

XFX RX 480 8GB GTR black edition.

RX 460/GTX 1050 should be more than suitable enough for your needs.

i see. Is it worth paying a little extra and get the black edition which can reach 1400mhz ?

>remove of

heh

Why not? It's like $10 more.

black edition it is then.
I'm only afraid that AMD will announce rx580 soon. Rumour is that it's going to be a rebrand of 480 but if it's not i'll be fucked

I heard they're coming out in April. I wouldn't expect much difference.

get the black edition gtr, it's guaranteed atleast 70%+ asic and you'll be able to hit 1400mhz easily like what other people say, assuming the 5xx rx series are just a polaris refresh, then maybe it would be fine since you'll have a nice overclocked card (especially at 1400mhz compared to when reference cards struggled to get past 1350)