Other urls found in this thread:

driversprep.com/article/going-down-steep-hills/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

P = Park?
R = Reverse?
N = Neutral?
D = Drive?
L = Landing Gear?

And why is drive behind reverse? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in the order of D, N, R, P, L? The current order is as illogical as your date format. Silly burgers.

L is low gear.

P is on top because it's the most used. No idea why D is below R though.

No one ever parallel parks, so the first gear you'd need is reverse, then drive. They put neutral in the middle because neutral means middle.

>P is on top because it's the most used. No idea why D is below R though.
It's the order you'd typically move the stick.

P -> R everse out of a parking spot - > D rive

Why do you have low gear? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of automatic if you have to shift gears at low speeds like traffic queues? And What's the point of neutral if you don't have a clutch pedal?

>This confused and enrages the American

No, it's not low for low speed. It's low for lowering the car's frame slightly.

>reverse out of parking lot
Are you a girl?

Are spics in charge of the automotive industry in burgerstan?

That notwithstanding,
there's still a first gear setting with higher torque. Useful for things like hill starts where you can't rely on the default tuning to get you to speed.

Most "American" cars are built in Mexico, so yes.

>literally had to drive an automatic for a friend for the first time in my life
>get in, he explains the order in a minute or two
>drive off

I can understand why your average american would prefer it.

Low gear stops you from having to sit on your breaks when going down a hill. Usually its numbered, but you put the car in say 2nd so you don't go flying down a hill at 70 mph or so you don't burn the breaks out.

t. live on very tall mountain with suicide roads

Most people don't care about driving in burgerland. With the cost of gas and cars here, people only drive manual by choice.

Can you use your engine as a brake or do you just let your brakes overheat in the mountains?

I do wish I had an automatic when doing city driving. Stop start traffic in a manual is fucking upsetting.

Having said that a manual on a windy country road just feels more fun.

Sounds like your automatics are just manuals pretending they're not.

When electric drives take off there'll be even less gearing because they give off as much torque as they can put out, unlike an internal combustion engine where the engine's performance is affected by mechanical resistance.

Yes thats the point of a "Low" gear is so you use your engine to slow down.

Oh, this is the famous American "gay-gear", for people who can't drive properly.

You don't HAVE to use them, the transmission still shifts for you, so its automatic.
Why is this so complicated?

Never knew this. I live in the Midwest so hills are memes at best.

I rather automatics. They're a lot comfier

Wait, so why do you have it if it's just superfluous? Is it a cultural burger thing I don't understand?

No, you just don't understand cars and driving you moron

>people who complain about manuals in traffic

Just put in 3rd gear if you guys are so fucking lazy.

Manual is basically Arch Linux. Sure, you have more control but it's pretty useless daily, especially with gas being about $0.50/liter, and maxed at about $1.00/liter a few years ago.

Now now, Ahmed. I can understand wanting to have more torque in hilly areas, but he literally said that the car would just shift for him anyways.

if I do that my car sounds like it's going to explode

What do you drive?

>image.jpg

That's not really good for a motor.

You don't use them, really ever, if you don't live on a mountain. But if you do, theres some steep ass hills here in burger land, so when your going down them, you use a slower gear, which makes the engine slow the car down, so you don't destroy your brakes.

If you don't get what I'm saying try reading this
driversprep.com/article/going-down-steep-hills/

'94 vauxhall astra

Yes, but you think mostly about money. what I could expect from an American, huh?
The manual gear is the real control and feeling, about your car. You can't drive without it. Or just drive electric cars, they're so economic.

Wew, do you take good care of it? Most astras i see here are always in good shape.

I drive a '88 Passat and i never have problems doing that. It goes smooth as fuck.

In the long run you may use a /little/ bit more oil but it really doesn't do much harm.

at least we can survive without schengen pierre

>muh macrofarming

Sometimes when going down a hill at slower speed I put my gear in second, or when going down a hill on a highway, I put it in fourth. L seems to be just one speed, or does it adjust?

Changing the lever is so unnecessary waste of time and attention, I dunno why we copied the eurocucks shit levers system.

>rapeseed
uhhhhh

Not a lot of cars have L, I've actually never seen one with L, but I'd assume it's only one gear.

>get a manual DD
>friends can literally never borrow my car
>people act like I'm driving a spaceship

I'm sorry to be so upset but, I can't understand, why the U.S.A., 'country of motorcars' actually defend automatic gear, instead of the manual gear. I see your movies. It's like you were lying all the long.

Does that mean that many, if not most, burgermobiles are useless if they encounter steep hills? That's not very freedom loving of you.

No, we usually have 1,2, (sometimes 3) instead of L.

Now I'm confused again. I'm envisioning a manual with numbered gears now, that you shift between, but call automatic.

Completely useless for anyone with a working brain cell or two.

AKA Canola
was given that name because rapeseed sounds rapey.
(actually got its name from the taxonomic name of the plant, brassica rapa, which includes mustard, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and a few others)

also known as canola

enjoy getting killed senpai

Good luck without your okra kuffat

nice digits, shaky english
etudies plus d'anglais

Again, usually automatics only have 1 and 2, which no one uses except on mountains. There is still a 'D' that is automatic.

That car only has 1 L. Most cars would have PRND123 instead of just having 1 L. This "low" gear pretty much uses the engine to help slow down the car in an effort to not destroy your brakes. The majority of the time many people won't use this but if you per chance live in the mountains or steep hills you put the car in "low" on your way down