"It's only good for workstations" le meme

> "It's only good for workstations" le meme
Stop repeating that stupid meme, it's not good for Workstations either. Only for 1% of the time you ever use a computer you are going to leave it the fuck alone to render something. For 99% of the time, you will be actually using the computer in an interactive manner and that can not be parallelized as well.
Let alone if you knew anything about computers you'd know most of the parallelism nowadays is done by the GPU, NOT, the CPU, and that might become even MORE prevalent, NOT less with the newest GPU APIs that offload even more and more stuff from the CPU space to the GPU space even if they claim to help more at multithreading *but that is not their main advantage.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vLfAtCbE_Jc?t=5s
youtube.com/watch?v=WPxGjCgIamc
anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/18
anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/20
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-9.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-10.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-11.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-12.html
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-Newer-Kernel)
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-linux-benchmarks-zen-buy/
youtube.com/watch?v=G_6rs9cBzvE
xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?293130-Ryzen-Return-of-the-Jedi&p=5254424&viewfull=1#post5254424
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/
fortune.com/2017/02/09/intel-strategy-servers-pc/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thank you

People here don't understand how cores work, they think they're going to help everything

>7700K fanclub
Be a good goy, and count how much shekels can i spare with 7700K.

> I have no argument, let's call them jews
fuck off racist child

I am the jew, you racist scum.

fuck off bitch

Suck my circumcised penis.

youtu.be/vLfAtCbE_Jc?t=5s

youtube.com/watch?v=WPxGjCgIamc

>using normie tier programs
>not using CFD or actual real work programs

WEW LAD you gaymen are not even funny anymore. For scientific computing Ryzen destroys, wendell confirmed for linux usage also.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-10.html

>One benchmark, in Photoshop that barely using more than 3 cores
Delete your account

anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/18

anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700/20

>yfw benchmarkers put out false benchmarks knowing full well they'd be shitposted for years to come because of dumb intelfaggots
Drink Zyklon-b user

I just told you you illiterate fuck that rendering without even touching a computer is like 1% of the time you ever use a computer. Did you even read the OP. Jesus fucking christ you are stupid.

It's a boring animu.

You should buy a mac then

>Here is a benchmark of a simulation WHILE IT RUNS THE SIMULATION
That's 1% of the time you actually operate a Workstation you stupid fuck.
It's what you do DURING the SETUP of the simulation that is the work.

>muh memelake

> pay for good hardware that costs $400...... $800
: the meme

kek. Do you realize that for meshing you do parallel computing. Setting up the simulation is not even the problem is more the meshing and iteration that is problematic

That's during FINAL rendering you stupid fuck. That's literally 1% of the time you ever use a WORKstation. Jesus fucking christ go google what a workstation is it is NOT a server farm.

>Adobe
Way to shoot yourself in the foot right out of the gate.

Let alone rendering is best done on a GPU nowadays, not on a CPU.

You don't need to not touch the computer when rendering if you're not poor and have more than a quad core you dipshit

Not trolling, isn't it faster to do those things with a GPU nowadays?

Baka, for CFD simulations what takes most of the time is the actual iterations and meshing, that is not user configuration of the simulation per se. Gaymen should fuck off

It's still 1% of the time you ever use a Workstation, and rendering is best done by GPUs nowadays anyway.

>gaming? who needs a workstation CPU? fine, I'll give you CPU that's good for .01% of the market
I love how every defense of Ryzen keeps shrinking it's target market.

>cinebench doesn't count because I say s
Here's another bench for you
It's not like rendering is the only use of CPUs. Doesn't change the fact that rendering is a good way of benchmarking, though.

>and rendering is best done by GPUs nowadays anyway.
And? Should I intentionally cripple my multitasking and multithreaded performance when hexa cores and octa cores are becoming cheaper and cheaper?

ebin

>Gaymen should fuck off
The gaming market is what keeps AMD alive.

>inb4 some autist starts screming cherry picking
The ryzen chips and the 6900k are going neck to neck in the same anandtech review. Seems nice considering the prices.

Pretty much. In CFD what you want the most is RAM and CPU cache, which ryzen is offering at good prices

Look at their revenue sheet and tell me that again.

>screming
Screaming*

Is this the kanna thread?

Because gamers are well known for needing $500 8 core 16 thread CPUs just to play video games on, right? It's not like AMD are going to release cheaper CPUs that are more tailored for gaming?

It says they're losing tens of millions in every sector and hundreds of millions in total.

Doesn't change the fact that game consoles and consumer GPUs make up a lot of AMD's business. Their fucking press release for their earnings says they hope their gaming products will help them return to profitability.

AMD seems to think so, they spent a lot of time marketing Ryzen 7 to gamers.

Based user understand this. Gaymen should stick with i5's or whatever AMD launches in response

Well I guess that is good considering no major manufacturers like dell or hp will be making ryzen workstations.

> 3D particle movement
That's literally why GPUs exist you stupid fuck. There is 0 reason to use a CPU for basic particle movement since the 90s. That test has no relation to the reality of a real game or a real workstation.

buy our ryzen
pls

>>inb4 some autist
Are you literally projecting? 3D particle movement is literally why GPUs exist. There is 0 reason to use a CPU for that job, it has never been a reason to use a CPU for that job since the 90s and that benchmark will never have any impact in the realities of a common game or common workstation.

Maybe it's 1% for you and the 30 second meme videos you render and upload but for I spend a lot of time in Premiere making non-Sup Forums video and I'm rendering almost all of the time unless I'm editing or researching. Fuck off back to Sup Forums you consumerist pigs.

It's pretty much around the 6900k and sometimes even close to a 6950X even with broken software support(less so on Linux)
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-9.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-10.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-11.html
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/74814-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-12.html
^
Same site with productivity benches

And a more serious enterprise aimed workload with XeonPh and dual Xeon tests.
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-linux-benchmarks/

With a newer kernel(still without the SMT fix: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-Newer-Kernel)
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700-linux-benchmarks-zen-buy/

This CPU isn't a joke, it does fantastic at low power, it has a cTDP option for 35W and runs 8 cores at 1.9GHz, the 10 core Broadwell Xeons runs at 2.4 at 95W and those are top binned for leakage parts, that should tell you something.

AMD has a fantastic low power core that scales down to literally around 2.5-3W

Marketing it to gamers that do more things than just play video games, like streaming or making videos, yes.

AMD are stupid for not releasing 1st thing their 4c/8c chips, bin them well to overclock well just for that and be gud at gaming and workstation benchmarks, i.e. exactly what Intel is doing for free advertisement.
Maybe though they can't because they don't have their own Foundries, dunno.
Though my guess is they are simply worse at Marketing.

and some user was saying this would not be used for workstations... kek the offer is too good unless intel start paying companies like they did before

I'll but it if it can play the award winning Fallout 4 on the highest settings.

Do not give attention to cherry picking intel troll babies. There is a huge squad of shills working in social media right now including both Sup Forums and reddit. You can tell by how they spam the same cherry picked images every times someone mentions Ryzen from a good side. On reddit your positive comment will be "countered" in a seconds and get 10+ upvotes pretty much immediately.

Maybe not the Ryzen lineup, some workloads will need a good amount of I/O and memory channels, but thankfully those aren't all that big in number, but the Opterons Snowy Owl and Naples will fix that with 8 channel memory and over 64 PCIe lanes without including the chipset.

Yup, these things will finally get AMD some well needed server market back, I really wanna see what happens with the next gen when they've had time to fix the firmware and software issues and include whatever was left out due to time for this core iteration.

> you haf no proofz
> he proceeds to post 0 proof
get out

Thanks for proving my point.

>multi-billion companies engage in deceptive marketing

Someone give a newspaper to this guy that just came from the mountain after 20 years.

AMD need to fire their shilling department. You simply do not market server farm chips to fucking imbeciles. The server market will never do free advertisement for you like the gamer and photoshop kids will.
Intel knows what they fuck they are doing.
You first release the gaming chips.

You know Zen is entirely aimed at the server market, right? The only growing x86 market

These are literally not relevant to 99% of people.

True. Expecting launch of actual zen cpu's for productivity (the server tier one's). I hope the pro-grade stuff come with quad channel, although, I wouldn't discard ryzen multi core for productive stuff (in the sense of personal computing moreso).

m8, Ryzen is gimped on Windows 10 due to shitty drivers.

Admittedly they should have known before releasing the cpu

>Implying

Daily reminder the profits are at large companies that do multi million contracts

99% of the PC market is much less than 1% of the server market
Intel lost mobile to ARM, where the PC users fled years ago

Any Zen with more than 8c will have quad channel, or even eight channels

The yields are too good to laugh the 4 and 6 cores
Ryzen doesn't over clock well since the process is tuned for low power

perf/watt is the defacto metric for everything but the gamer market, which depend on high clocks speed and ergo high voltages, said high voltages and high clocks are clearly counterproductive and plainly STUPID to enterprise/datacenter, mobile and embeded.

AMD is hunting multiple markets with this core, if they made a high clocking design I'd ask myself what the fuck were they thinking making a core that's only good for one market.
You'll get your CPU BORN FOR GAMING, but next year or the year after that, when AMD actually considers using a high clocking process.

Personally I don't really want this to happen so you retarded gaming children can continue having to pay out of the ass for $340 quad cores.

Most of those companies aren't scientists who need special snowflake CPUs. They're businesses that give their employees an i3 workstation in their cubicle while they push number around and write emails. They are content creators who use Photoshop. Most of these companies who buy thousands of computers at a time still need better single core performance than they need 8+ cores.

>perf/watt is the defacto metric for everything but the gamer market,
So then why doesn't ARM dominate?

They need better power consumption and cheaper machines, which Zen delivers, and the APU's will deliver much more
But that user is talking about HPC and servers

Because ARM isn't better than x86 in perf/watt when it scales over 15 watts, furthermore the current ARM designers aren't very experienced designing low latency, low power data fabrics, like x86 ones, which are crucial to large rollouts.
Alongside that, ARM has a far inferior software library.
ARM may have its niche in dense servers, microservers where performance take a step back to I/O and memory.

I have to agree with this. But also, the most lucrative contracts go to scientific computing, there is a reason why quadro cards cost that much... companies are willing to pay for it, and your margins are quite good.

Zen might have disappointed gaymen but i want to see what will happen on the high performance market

> www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-10.html
top kek

Regardless, everything benefits from a low power but fast core, OEMs really like those because it reduced platform cost, that's why those Nvidia and AMD GPUs without a power connector are such hits, the vendor can cheap out on cooling, motherboards, PSUs, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=G_6rs9cBzvE

>UEFI updates can cause wild changes in performance, most of the time for the better

You forgot to show the other ones with are a sample of what can they do

Guess AMD has work to do on Rodina software, no doubt these crashes are part due to Windows reading Ryzen CPUs as having 170MB of cache and sperging out, or maybe they have trouble reading the CCX configuration that looks more like 2 CPUs than a CPU with 2 clusters.
Bottom line software needs an update.

It really does nice in compute, I'm glad someone tests stuff in detail that isn't just games

>LAMMPS stands for Large-scale Atomic/Molecular Massively Parallel Simulator, and it didn’t just run flawlessly, but also really showed off Ryzen’s capabilities. In the resulting head-to-head race, AMD got there first more often than not.

You've got a ryzen vs Intel general now, please relocate to it and stop shitting up the board

talks about workstations
posts a picture of photoshop one of the most highly serial programs...
are we fooling our selfs now

what is funny is that this should be the technical board but for some reason ppl are in games

Youtube reviews are not even worth mentioning unless it's wendell, since most of them are focused on gaming

Before someone jumps on "BULLDOZER DID GOOD IN COMPUTE TOO!"

Remember that Bulldozer needed twice the cores to do good in compute, the 16 core Opterons usually competed with 10 core Xeons, were completely uncompetitive in ST performance due to needing obscene voltages and on top of that needed insane amounts of power for that compute performance.
While Zen on the other hand has the same amount of cores, but uses less power against Broadwell, Intel will shrink this difference with Skylake Xeons but a 30% efficiency deficit is hard to beat without a die shrink, and they're launching a quarter or two later than Naples.

AMD will finally get some money from the high margin server sector, this will do great for their tiny R&D budget and improve both their CPU and GPU offerings.

ah yeah everything amd is good at it its suddenly not worth mentioning

we know the story

The wattage difference when mentioning computing farms is staggering is not even funny.

If AMD really success in this they will grow, and Intel will be forced to compete, which is good for the consumers in all ranges

Slightly unrelated
But despite the inherent shortcomings BD had it still managed to get major HPC wins, and did really well on servers
Zen will do ridiculously well, this is almost as disruptive as the first Opteron's were

Thankfully this thread was saved by a few people who know something more than youtube-tier EE knowledge.

We had a good few threads in the last few days, mostly dealing with Zen's efficiency with some nicely thought of posts.

The second one is pretty long and is almost free of shitposting, I suggest a read.
Sup Forums can get good threads too, but they're so fucking rare I end up barely going to this place and stalking RWT forums for interesting discussion.

you know the irony of amd?

they had athlons that had really bad windows support

then they created bulldozer that had really awesome mobos but the chip was a disaster

now we have an awesome chip with really bad BAD mobos...

xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?293130-Ryzen-Return-of-the-Jedi&p=5254424&viewfull=1#post5254424

chew is fucking ranting at every single mobo aib for their incopentence

Here's a fullpage image, had to gimp resolution to fit in 5000px vertical and there's no way to fit in the subtests without work, but you get the picture, very good chip while using less power to boot.

AMD has a very good core on its hands, even during the K8 era it never had this much of a efficient core design.

X99 launched with buggy as fuck motherboards too, it took them 2-3 months to fix it.

This isn't really something new, companies use these HEDT lines to validate and bugtest their server parts, it's much faster than doing so in house, these HEDT markets aren't really all that big compared to servers and validation is absolutely crucial to servers, as evidenced by Intel's newest Atom fuckups.

Thanks for those threads user... Truly, like a friend was saying to me, you must be autistic to buy a computer only for gaymen

I agree... I think for now being a early adopter will be courting with the edge. I will wait at least 1 year when the market has established pretty well. What really surprises me is, like wendell mentioned, is that the chip is better built than those of intel

>Intelfags run away as soon as discussion switches from games to low-level discussion
Color me unsurprised.

the funny part is they dont really know how good this chip is...
forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

the level of efficiency is almost linear

Praise kek. Gaymen should stay at Sup Forums

Ryzen or the server version has given me the chance to build a CFD workstation i wanted for half the price. Feels good man

yeah but here we are talking about a chip that costs half of them offers more and its currently held back by the windows and the motherboards manufacturers..

i mean this is hilarious to watch ..we have to reach 2017 to actually say "asrock released a top notch motherboard" and not laugh or be in terror..

You can see from the Fmax curve that this isn't a high clocking design, Intel cores have a more linear curve at higher voltages but they can't reach such a linear curve at lower voltages, so a clear design decision.

In a few quarters you'll see people scratching their head trying to figure out how AMD is gaining profits when "Ryzen" is a "failed" gamer CPU.

i really doubt you gonna find a 6900k with better graphs considering that 1800x has actually broken the record by 800mhz on all cores

This pretty much tells you everything.

Thanks Stilt for actually bothering doing these tests, youtube reviewers and garbage review sites that there's a completely different side to chips than gaming.
And it seems most of Sup Forums falls under that too, unfortunately.

Forgot image.
Notice the effiency

Raven ridge is going to be a serious piece of kit depending on how the igpu plays out. I suspect it will basically kick Intel in the teeth and Nvidia won't be too happy either as it brings together in a single package what requires going to Intel and Nvidia today.

Extrapolating forward from that it also effectively bars Nvidia (and most likely Intel) from ever getting a console contract again unless either of them comes out with a truly revolutionary product. This sort of scaling and AMD's big push for HSA is going to set them up to bring the fucking pain in some very lucrative markets simply because they (through their semi-custom designs) can offer a one stop shop for parts and designs.

muh werkstayshunz

Raven Ridge could seriously hurt Nvidia's Tegra lineup

>over twice the perf/watt from a 300Mhz underclock

Insane, and that's a manual underclock, imagine what happens when AMD actually picks up golden chips for Naples and tunes the process for even lower voltages.
Intel's ass is seriously on fire, and it shows.

fortune.com/2017/02/09/intel-strategy-servers-pc/

>intel shifting focus from a mobile > desktop > server focus to a server > mobile > desktop focus

>more Red bars at the top than not, even when a overclocked 6900k is included

I'm so sorry Intel.

nvidia doesnt have a saying anymore on desktop we already know from intel that the first chips with amd hardware on it is set to come on this year..

just picture this on your head..intel will use the gcn ISA do you know what that means?the 2 major players will have 100% of the developers to optimize them into a single ISA instead of 3 (nvidia/intel/amd)

So funny to see all those Intel shills explaining why Ryzen is a failure forgetting all the facts :
- Ryzen is the only real innovation we had in the cpu world in the last 5 years
- Ryzen is the most efficient cpu platform ever

No wonders Intel is shitting their pants