Mobo

>You are given a 6900K as a gift to build your new Workstation
>All x99 mobos have horrible reviews
>What do?

Choose wisely.

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-x99-haswell-e-overclocking,3934-17.html
pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-PC-Hardware-of-2016-872/#Motherboard
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sell it for $900 then buy 1800X and X370 motherboard..

and extra money rent high class trap and fuck her

>her

i think you mean a 1700 and overclock it

> 4 outta five eggs

>Horrible

Right...

Ok, it's not really a gift.

I'm just getting the Intel Employee discount.

$545 USD for 6900K.

Cheaper than 1800k. I prefer to go with the already tested tech. I'm afraid of the X370 mobos. They are new and might be fucky.

also why the fuck are your prices 50% higher than mine? that asrock taichi is $209.99

Ok which one should I pick then? I don't give a shit about Wifi and Bluetooth. Also won't SLI. But I want a quality product, and I want to slightly OC the CPU. My fan will be NH-D15s so probably OC up to 4.0GHZ

I'm a Canadian MasterRace.

>Motherboard reviews
How. Who the fuck in their right mind cares. Does the mobo smell like shit instead of butter? It's a slightly darker color of black than one expected? Are the RGB gamer lights not as bright as they should be? What the fuck are motherboard ratings supposed to be.

>Intel Employee discount

kek'd

Well anyways don't refer to Newegg product reviews. They're for retards. Look online.

buy ryzen

anyways, to answer your question i have the asus x99a-3.1 and it's fine after updating to the newest bios. anything you buy today will probably already be running it so your memory should be stable.

shill detected
>$545 USD has been deposited into your bank account

any of the asrocks

Not going with the superior in every way to all other motherboards produced before or since...

Asus deluxe II.

These are the prices they get:

Intel® Core™ i7-6900K Processor (20M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
Price: $545.00

Intel® Core™ i7-6850K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
Price: $308.00

Intel® Core™ i7-6800K Processor (15M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
Price: $217.00

Intel® Core™ i7-6950X Processor Extreme Edition (25M Cache, up to 3.50 GHz)
Price: $856.00

good goy, spend $200 more on motherboard so you can use that x99 processor

>Asus deluxe II

That's what a few other people told me with confidence, but I looked it up online and the reviews are bad.

Quad-channel RAM though. Also tested tech. I'm not sure if X370 mobos are reliable yet.

This is a Workstation PC I'm building. Not Gaming PC.

Start with Toms Hardware, they cover alot of angles. Find a couple that have or can do what you want what you want. Sesrch those up a little make sure theres at least somewhat of a consensus.

Thats how I chose my msi sli pls z270.

It was cheapest at the time, was performing the exact same as the majority of z270 boards and has been rock solid, I run 3200mhz DDR 4 and 4.7ghz cpu. Doesn't miss a beat.

Good luck!

what reviews?

Oh and heres a starting point...

tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-x99-haswell-e-overclocking,3934-17.html

Trust.

It's designed for workstation and power users. Expansions and upgrades, everything you could ever need outside of Optane meme.

Maybe the 1star reviews are from ppl who don't know how to update the bios?

my thought exactly, which is why I asked. that's not even a real review.

Optane is no meme. Its going to flip the script >=|

Easy

>workstation
>i7
kek
Sell it and get a Xeon

Why would you buy into X99 during the last five months of its lifetime?

Sell it, wait for X299.

Strix X99 Gaming can do 128GB with 8 dimm slots. Works too.

>Workstation
>your employer doesn't pay for everything

Get a better job.

/thread

I'm self employed and do contract work for Discovery, Netflix, and a few other smaller companies.

Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro work best with i7. AE prefers clock speed rather than core count. A balance of both is best, so 6900K is my choice.

I can't wait 5 months. Have projects lined up.

>Ok which one should I pick then? I don't give a shit about Wifi and Bluetooth. Also won't SLI.

asrock taichi is pretty decent for the price, 2 gbit lan ports, but you're severely limited on pcie lanes (x16/x16 or x16/x8/x8 on 40 lane cpu, or x16/x8 or x8/x8/x8 on 28 lane cpus)

if you really don't give a shit about anything then just get literally whatever mobo has whichever sound and lan you like (the choices usually are realtek or soundblaster, and intel or 'killer nic' for lan), x99 isn't that shit of a chipset and all mobos are basically identical on the low end

use what you already have.

Don't buy ASRock X99, my Extreme6 has really buggy UEFI BIOS.

go with an asus X99

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Most-Reliable-PC-Hardware-of-2016-872/#Motherboard

probably
>it's sturdy enough to survive my tard rage while putting it together
vs
>wtf is this flimsy shit it broke!

X99 E-WS

this cannonlake and skylake e aren't that far away

Do you think they are really going to be that much better?

There is barely any difference between 5960x and 6900k. Are we somehow going to get a 8 core processor that goes up to 4.2GHz?

I'd fabricate my own

Strix X99 Gaming, I have it.
Bluetooth, Wi-fi, u.2, m.2 USB 3.1 A +C list goes on.
It has a hefty amount of stuff going on.

I've read about many of them being defective though, so that's most likely why low reviews.
If you get one that's working, it's a good mobo.

ASRock Taichi. It's a solid board.

It's got the second highest rating next to the EVGA classified.

Those are the only 2 boards that aren't loaded with problems.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with that? I've never seen such universally awful motherboards from basically every manufacturer.

Is it a socket issue? Chipset issue with X99?

You should RMA it. That's supposedly the third or 4th highest rated board. Sounds like you got a lemon.

>I've read about many of them being defective though

That's exactly why I'm paranoid about my mobo purchase. I've figured everything else out, only mobo is left.

My direct experience with MSI SLI Plus has been horrible too. It probably was defective. USB and RAID problems.

Strix X99 Gaming and DELUX II are my top choices now, but I'm just afraid of defective units.

Actually lul'd

Looks like cheap power regulator issues. The boards that go with simple hardware are having the least amount of problems.

implying the 370 so far are being the absolute top....

only the taichi is relatively in a good shape and that should tell a lot ITS AN ASROCK

Find the EVGA classified. It has the top rating. I think Newegg sold out so it won't show up.

Does anyone have a comment on this?

A lot of those reviews are legit problems. Like ram slots randomly dying. Mobo goes into restart loops. Randomly corrupted bios. Etc etc.

>>You are given a 6900K as a gift
sell it and buy Ryzen. 6900K is fucking garbage.

No. Because no one knows. AMD has applied serious pressure to Intel. They'll have to spend serious capitol on improving their lineup.

The 6800k and the 5820k differences were rectified with a 6% overclock. That's some serious bullshit.

5960x and 6900k was just a die shrink. Skylake-X should be better than that since it's a new arch. The reason to wait isn't really for the performance imo but instead not buying into what is going to soon be a dead platform in a few months.

Ok so hold on... I actually have a pretty decent laptop that I can work on for a while.

Are you saying that it might be a better idea to just wait until the new intel processors come out in August?

What if after that I have to wait even more until Adobe gets its shit together and make After Effects and Premiere Pro optimized to work with the new tech?

In other words, isn't a $545 deal on 6900K not worth it now?

Adobe doesn't need to change anything. I don't know the details of the retail edge program so it could be you're going to be waiting even longer for them to offer it for Skylake-X? Like some others have said, for what you're doing, just reselling it and getting a 1700 is what I would do.

well for skylake e i'm thinking yes there might be major improvements since looking at how big it is they have a LOT of room to position cores and cache better and the pressure on them to put more R&D into development with ryzen rivaling a 6900k

>isn't a $545 deal on 6900K not worth it now?

It's only worth it because of it's current over-inflated price, so you can resell it. Not so much worth it anymore from an actual price/performance standpoint.

I just fear Ryzen. It's not tested yet for what I do. I want the best performance I can get for Adobe AE and Premiere Pro as a few big contracts are coming my way soon.

Just want to play safe.

How about I build the 6900K system and sell it in a year if the new Intel processors are really going to be that much better?

Since I'm buying the 6900K half the price, I won't lose too much by sell the system in only a year.

>Falling for this "workstation" marketing scam
>Not just buying server-grade hardware

>Pay thousands of dollars extra for XEON and Quadro GPUs
>Actually getting worse results than i7 + GTX because Adobe favors clock speed more than core numbers, and doesn't use GPU that much

Would make sense if I was a 3D artist and used Maya / C4D / 3Dmax

But not for adobe.

You posted here because you know how shitty and unreliable x99 boards are. Ryzen isn't going to be any worse.

If you want reliability then you go server grade. Also Intel makes the i7 equivalent in Xeon form. It's it E5-1680v4/3 or E5-1660v4/3

How is this deal?

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor | GA-Z270X-Gaming 7
Regular Price: $393.00
Special Price: $373.35

The ASUS Rampage V Extreme has been solid for me on the last BIOS update 3501

What's the difference between these $400 motherboards and $100 ones?

That hurts. A lot.

Yeah. He already has a 6900k. Learn to read.

Maybe you should read past the first post

sell 6900K, build dual-LGA 2011 system.
X79/C602 is comfy as fuck.