13 vs. 15 inch laptops

Time to put this debate to rest.

Just ordered a 15.4" MBP last night. Feels gud.

17 at least.
But since you're showing apple shit, you're not talking about work, I guess

14"

15 inch xps > all

if you have money and don't travel every day, go for 15". if you travel, 13".

but both are great for a large second monitor.

tl;dr: go for 13".

15" if only 1 machine.
13" if you have a PC.

13" is the perfect size. Usable, compact, and transportable.

t. neckbeard whose laptop has never left his home

15 with no bezels
if you have bezels then 14 and 13

anything lower is tablet territory, anything higher is not really portable

KEK

>17"
>laptop
By that point aren't you kinda losing mobility?

Why would I have a laptop if I don't use it at other places than home? You retarded or something?

15" is bigger than 13". Easy...

I have a good backpack. I hate small scrrens, because it's not easy to work with them. If I could, I'd add a second and third screen and have a 19" laptop. But that doesn't fit in my backpack.

Normies don't own desktops, they have laptops now-a-days. What most them consider mobility is going from the dinner table to the couch. While I was in college, I worked part-time at a local laptop/mobile shop and it didn't matter how shitty the specifications were normies always bought the 17 inch laptop with a huge numpad on it. I bet if we sold a 21" laptop they would of bought it. Old people specifically would want the largest laptop there is, and they'd want us to put the resolution down as low as possible and increase the icon size as much as possible. I guess they don't believe in glasses.

been thinking about 17" laptops lately. i always care mine in a bag anyway, and 17 would fit fine too. And when you work, you set it down anyway, and everybody wants screen real estate.

weight is the only issue. i like sub 2kg laptops.

Soon

I wish they'd use that extra surface space on the 15" laptops and put a numpad rather then put some crappy speakers or whatever next to the keyboard.

10 inch 16:10

For coding, a big screen is bliss. Who gives a fuck about specs? You gaymen on a laptop? Kys. I don't want to hunch over to read stuff, nor do I want to have only 4 lines of code visible.
Call yourself a Normie

MacBook Pro

I actually do work often so 15 unless I'm just traveling or not doing anything important

>implying you can get any work done on a linux machine

That's why you get a tablet to fill in the gap

12.1"

Real workers use something that just works. So anything but a mac

I tend to prefer larger screens. 14 inches is a minimum for laptops, so between a 13 inch and a 15 inch, I'd take the 15 inch. That said, I use a 17 inch System76 Kudu laptop.

My 17 inch laptop fits well inside my backpack, and has no problem being used on a desk, on my lap, on my bed, or really any other location. You don't really lose any portability with it.

>For coding, a big screen is bliss. Who gives a fuck about specs?
*cough* Virtual Machines *cough*

I have a "15 rMBP and it's great to use. For school though I usually take my x220 cause it's lighter and if it's get stolen thats only $200 gone rather than over $2000

>no software support
mom i ONLY use keyboard commands, i TOLD you ALREADY

14" masterrace here.

This

You have to go back.

oh wow literally the 1st reply is an apple shill

what a shock

sage btw

Use whatever you like best. I have a 13 inch MBP 2011 and 14 inch TP T400. The display sizes are fine for when I'm out but I hook them up to monitors when I'm at home.

Macs use standard Intel hardware. They make fine work machines if you replace Fischer Price OS with a GNU/Linux or proper BSD distribution. Debian on MacBooks is pretty damn comfy.

There's nothing wrong with OS X other than the file system, which Apple's replacing

user, you cannot do driver/kernel development AT ALL without virtual machines, and they tend to need hosts with decent specs. They are also incredibly useful for cross-platform development.

A good development laptop should be able to handle one or more virtual machines running concurrently with one's development environment.

Pretty much every compiler, editor, and build tool worth using runs on Linux.

Every package manager for Mac OS X sucks.

Nah, Homebrew and pkgsrc are both pretty good. Pretty sure pkgin has packages too if source based package managers aren't your thing.

The gestures, file explorer, dock, and window controls piss me off. The root user which I need also gets disabled every time I update. The updates also reinstall shitware like Safari and iTunes that I purposefully deleted before because I didn't need or want them. I also disconnected the built in webcam and started using a USB one, and it gave me shit about needing the internal one needing to be reconnected. Also, every time an app crashes it tries to get me to send data to Apple, not the dev of the application. It's just a backwards and stupid OS. I give no fucks about Adobe software, so GNU/Linux does everything I need it to. I have no reason to have Mac OS X installed.

>gestures
Customize or don't use them
>file explorer
Use something else
>dock
Don't use it
>window controls
What's wrong with them?

>>gestures
>Customize or don't use them
Retarded response. The trackpad gestures allow me to switch workspaces, but then it activates when scrolling. It's stupid. What am I supposed to do, use 6 fingers to swipe all different directions? That's impractical.
>>file explorer
>Use something else
Yeah, for 9 easy payments of $39.99, right? Alternative software like that for Macs is overpriced as fuck.
>>dock
>Don't use it
It's either the dock or expensive alternative programs as I mentioned above. Or there's Launchpad, the god-awful app drawer that makes you feel like you're using a giant Android tablet.
>>window controls
>What's wrong with them?
The minimize/maximize buttons do weird shit, like going into a full screen mode that hides the menu bar. It's a pain in the ass and defeats the purpose of having a menu bar. Also, be sure no to double click that title bar while trying to click and drag or else you get a window snapped to half the screen that you have to manually resize. It's fucking shit.

In regards to general laptops? 13" by far. The only reason a 15" may be warranted is if it has a full ten-key. Otherwise, it's not worth the screen size.

>Retarded response. The trackpad gestures allow me to switch workspaces, but then it activates when scrolling.
4 finger swipe works well for me, never once have I had it mistaken for scrolling
>Yeah, for 9 easy payments of $39.99, right? Alternative software like that for Macs is overpriced as fuck.
So don't buy it.
>It's either the dock or expensive alternative programs as I mentioned above. Or there's Launchpad
Nah, I don't use any of the above
>The minimize/maximize buttons do weird shit, like going into a full screen mode that hides the menu bar.
Yeah, that's pretty dumb. If you hold Opt while clicking it it behaves like you'd expect it to.
>Also, be sure no to double click that title bar while trying to click and drag or else you get a window snapped to half the screen that you have to manually resize. It's fucking shit.
Can you not disable window snapping?

>So don't buy it.
This brings us back to square one. We now have a shitty file explorer that doesn't work.
>Nah, I don't use any of the above
So what are you using?
>If you hold Opt while clicking it it behaves like you'd expect it to.
So why is the expected behavior hidden behind a keyboard shortcut while the backwards and unexpected behavior set as the primary one? This makes zero sense to me.
>Can you not disable window snapping?
There was nothing in the settings for it when I looked.

>This brings us back to square one
Nah, you don't need to buy the alternatives to use them. Also it's worth noting that Finder's got the only miller columns implementation that's worth a damn.
>So what are you using?
Spotlight
>So why is the expected behavior hidden behind a keyboard shortcut while the backwards and unexpected behavior set as the primary one? This makes zero sense to me.
I never said it made sense, it's quite retarded actually and even more retarded that there's no setting to swap the functionality. I'm just telling you how to maximize windows
>There was nothing in the settings for it when I looked.
Looks like it can't be disabled but you can avoid it by holding Opt while moving the window.

>Time to put this debate to rest.
>debate
Go shitpost somewhere else. This shit is never worth a debate, it's just subjective preferences.

user speaks the truth. stfu you shitposting niggers

>buy an Apple product
>must be a shill

Ok, Timmy. Make sure to clean out your piss bottles before bed.

12.5inch TP x260 master race reporting in