/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

fossil.com/uk/en/products/townsman-automatic-dark-brown-leather-watch-sku-me3098p.html
youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8
closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch;_ylt=A7dPGOqufbxY4DEABhb3KP97?p=seiko s760&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8&auccat=0
forums.watchuseek.com/f29/f-s-preowned-seiko-sarb068-limited-edition-203-300-cocktail-time-$540-3967770.html
store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/1more/sarb068.html
brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-rail-fiasco-who-is-brisbanes-rail-advocate-paul-pluta-20161229-gtjhrm.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for official /wt/ chart of 2017

Second for 360,000bph

Thinking of getting this Fossil watch. What do you guys think?

fossil.com/uk/en/products/townsman-automatic-dark-brown-leather-watch-sku-me3098p.html

>tfw just ordered brown leather for my snk809 and getting a blue Ray II in a week or so

What do you guys think about my new Apple watch?

I think you should kill yourself.

just bought this beauty

how'd I do?

Gonna pull the trigger on either a COCKtail Time or Alpinist.

I like the Cocktail a little more, but I feel like I'd get less use out of it. Looks very dressy.
Thoughts?

Can someone legitimately explain the difference between a fossil and lets say a sarb033 which you guys like? What are the actual stand out differences?

It's pretty bold to be dressy.

Much communism. So Russian Spy

Sure. One is complete fucking dogshit garbage made for $12 in China and marked up 1000%, and the other is a decent quality reasonably priced watch.

Why do you keep asking?

Haven't triggered that user with the GOAT lcd quartz in a couple threads.

Not a watch guy, but got this as a Christmas gift and it has been collecting dust since. What kind of outfit could i possibly wear for this too look decent? Not a fan of yellow, and the "HELL" on the hand that changes to "HELLO" at 3 is strange.

I think both are pretty awful, t b h, f a m.

> what kind of outfit
question for

I have an alpinist. Love the green and gold. From those two option, go alpinist. But if you want dressy dressy watch, id say go for something else.

You need to ask a black dude. They're good at bold color coordinating with Nikes and pro sports team colors and such

so cool poop

Looks snazzy! Wear it in good health friend!
Зa здopoвьe!
But are you cool enough to pull off the Alpinist?

If you ever want a Cocktail Time now's the last chance, some user mentioned last thread that they're being discontinued.

cocktail time is being discontinued so it might be an alright investment

>investment
please don't buy a watch as an investment. It will almost certainly not work.

Massdrop does the Alpinist a few times a year.

youtube.com/watch?v=li0mRLcGbU8

Or think about Why it's getting discontinued.. if its selling well and iconic. They wouldn't

Lol, great example

Cocktail time would probably take a significant amount of time to be worth anything, if ever.

I want to post that video of the guy selling his entire collection for a Rolex Air-King only to accidentally destroy the entire watch, putting himself in a $5000 minus, but the faggot already deleted it.

pffhahaha

>faggot already deleted it.
oh wow, did he? If only someone would have thought of that they could have saved it and re-upped it.

Sure, but that's not a possibility all the time. How would it look with a button down or a tshirt?

I get having mixed feelings about the Alpinist, but what's not to like about the Cocktail Time?

Noted. Got a recommendation for a dress watch other than the Cocktail? And in your opinion, why not the Cocktail for a dress watch?

>cool enough
I'm here, aren't I?
So, no.
But I regularly wear my vintage Accutron, which is part green and has a very different look. I wouldn't imagine the Alpinist being any different.

Fuck, really? How much longer is it running and how much longer does the Alpinist have?

Yeah, last was in Aug. by pull the trigger, I meant wait for the Massdrop kek. The Cock I'd just get on Amazon probably.

>but the faggot already deleted it.
Probably was getting fucking railed for asking for money for a luxury watch

>How much longer is it running
No idea. It was supposed to be sort of a special SAR* model anyway.
>Alpinist
Until a new Alpinist is announced, but no news of that. It will probably be produced for a few more years. Maybe it'll end up like the SKX007, being produced for twenty years.

>tfw still can't find one of them on sale

Personally I think the Cocktail is bit dizzying with that dial. I prefer cleaner dial if I was to get a dressy watch. One example is Tissot Visodate.

Gotcha, thanks.
So, I'll have time to get the Alpinist.

Anyone with any actual objections to the Cocktail Time? Or even better anyone actually have one?

I think it'd be a nice one to have.

Yeah, there's only been 8 of them on Yahoo! Japan Auctions so far this year:

closedsearch.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch;_ylt=A7dPGOqufbxY4DEABhb3KP97?p=seiko s760&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8&auccat=0

>How would it look with a button down or a tshirt?
Should be fine.

Given the shiny silver case and dial, it will only look out of place in grungy clothes.

>what's not to like about the Cocktail Time?
It is pretty big. people who buy it without larger wrists sometimes are disappointed.

>why not the Cocktail for a dress watch?
It's pretty ornate. Dress watches are not ornate, they are simple. This watch is made to shine and glimmer, you can catch eyes from across the room. That's not in line with dress watches.

Also, in regards to the "investment" talk. If you wanted to try the cocktail time as an investment (bad idea most likely) you'd probably want to pick up all the cocktail time models. I believe there is 3, SARB065, SARB066 and SARB068. Sarb068 there was only 300 made, and they were all designed along with Ishigaki Shinobu.

Also, if anyone is interested in the sarb068, they're going to be hard to get hold of.

You could ask if this guy still has his
forums.watchuseek.com/f29/f-s-preowned-seiko-sarb068-limited-edition-203-300-cocktail-time-$540-3967770.html

There's a couple stores on Y! jp shopping sites that are listing it, but they all say out of stock (在庫切れ)

store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/1more/sarb068.html

So it looks like the watchuseek guy is the only one I can find selling one.

Does anyone here wear a bund?

The cocktail time is being "discontinued" then immediately reintroduced as a different model.

I can understand that.

>Should be fine.
Good to know.

>It is pretty big.
I'll try to find some wrist shots with people wearing it. Always hard to tell this shit.
I'm 5'11'' 195lbs, I think my wrist will be fine?

>watch is made to shine and glimmer
Ah, I understand the difference now. I haven't actually seen it in person, it's not gaudy or anything?

>as an investment
fuk no. Personally I get watches to enjoy and wear, I have little plans to sell any. I'd be getting the 065 for keeps.

What is your wrist circumference?

Ugh why the PRESAGE on the dial? Looks horrible.

>5'11'' 195lbs

Is it all muscle?

like 18mm

I'm not /fit/ fit, but I'm in decent shape. Def have some flab in parts.

That's like the size of a quarter.

If you don't have a flexible measuring tape, use a string wrapped around your wrist and then measure the string.

It's probably over 7 inches.

18cm I assume? That's a 7.2in wrist (wrist circumferences are typically measured in inches). That's pretty decently big, so shouldn't be any issue with a cocktail time, which is 40mmx13.1mm

Just get a SARB033/035 you know it makes sense.

Green doesn't go with orange.

>orange
It's tan dipshit.

Whatever, it doesn't look good.

>18mm

i hate spacing of the 11 and 1 indices on these komandirskie dials. not only is the left/right symmetry totally fucked, but they're not even on the same vertical level.

Thoughts? The 38mm version of course.

i fucking kek'd

Is creationwatches a solid place to buy from?

yes

You're mum.

Stop trying to trigger my OCD dickflap.

I measured. It's 18cm. I fucked up with mm kek.

Yeah, 18cm. Didn't know it was inches, watches are mm, so it threw me.
So, you think 7.2 in wrist is fine?

Fucking kek.

They're nice, but not really what I'm looking for.

When I was in Japan I saw this Citizen model and it looked pretty nice.

Yep and they mark the package as a 'measuring device' so you don't pay any import fees.

You're going to be over paying.

Get a vintage Hamilton. I have two.
There's nothing to the current Hamilton brand anymore.

That being said, they make some cool looking watches.

7.2in should be okay for 40mmx13.1mm. It's be noticeably not a thin dress watch but won't look silly.

Wonderful, thank you

>When I was in Japan I saw this Citizen model and it looked pretty nice.

No. No it did not.

That sounds fine. Doesn't have to be thin, just not fat as fuck.

I think I'm gonna go for it

post pics when you get it

What price range am I going to be looking at for high beat watches? 36000

you can get a vintage seiko high beat for a couple hundred

>post pics
Always do.

$5000+

I've been eyeing Soviet watches on ebay, and found this Slava watch with a 2428 movement, whatever that means. Is there a guide to the Russian movements? Is this one good or bad, anything i should be aware of?

Also, looking at vendors. Where should I buy from?
>Amazon
>eBay
>Long Island Watch
>Seyia Japan
>other

I know it's probably going to be gray market. And I don't have a lot of experience there.
Help?

everywhere you listed is fine. I might suggest avoiding amazon since you have no idea who's really sending it.

Amazon says sold buy CW US. 99% positive.
Who happens to be one of the sellers on eBay.
I can't tell if that's a good thing.
You really trust eBay vendors for watches from Japan?

I've only bought vintage on eBay from individuals, not big sellers.

I wouldn't buy a rolex on ebay (or amazon), but for a $300 seiko you're probably fine, and ebay is always in the buyer's court for any dispute.

Fair enough.
I'll look into some eBay sellers, see what reviewers say.
Looks like I can $350 on eBay, $377 on Amazon, and like $400 on the more legit sites.

>Ordered watch Friday night
>Still isn't here

God damn shitters!

>tfw I was going to get myself a cocktail time for my 21st birthday in a few months
>just bought it because I'm scared of scalpers.

Well now I just have to resist the temptation of opening it for a while.

Think this strap would go well with it?

Who'd you order from? And did everything go smoothly?

>that band
Dunno, why not a black leather or like a crocodile black.

Is archie like addicted to watches or something?

He even has $2,000 ladies watches that he obviously can't wear.

And luis vetton handbags

Is that Paul Pluta? He gets recommended to me a lot. I've watched one of his videos and he sounds like a screaming madman.

I just ordered from amazon. They had it lower than creation and some of the other grey market sellers I checked, and watchrecon had used ones going for about 345 muribucks anyway.

I really like the color blue. It comes with a black leather band. I'm also thinking maybe a dark blue croc.

>Archie is presently married with 4 children (from marriages 1 and 3).

wow, didn't know he had a real name before

brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-rail-fiasco-who-is-brisbanes-rail-advocate-paul-pluta-20161229-gtjhrm.html

How many watches does /wt/ own?
>I own zero (0)

Dark blue croc would be pretty sweet.

5) Seek Personal Advice from Archie
Advice via email - US$10-
Advice with a video follow up - US$20-
Speak to Archie for Advice and Opinions - US$50- per hour
PayPal to [email protected]
Then send details of your collection/query to [email protected]

He can't be serious

1 quartz Tissot
1 quartz Bulova