Will Facebook ever be as dead as MySpace?

Will Facebook ever be as dead as MySpace?

From what I can gather Facebook has long since vanished as the ubiquitous social network everybody except extreme outsiders use. Plenty of "normies" seemed to have moved on as well.

However (imo) they seem to have established a core userbase of cancerous users that seem unwilling to see the shortcomings.

Discuss

once all the boomers who still use it die off

Eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.

Yeah they will be dead soon cause everythig related to a website or internet in general have a life so the day when something new will be here : GoodBYe Facebook

>tfw Vine died before the shitty 1337 game cheat forum I've spent half my time as a 13 year old

To this day it holds an agonizing history of cringeworthy posts waiting to be discovered by someone finding out my past online alias.

Give it six years and it's dead

I disagree, I see their power holding stead fast. I've seen many normies moving back and nearly all treat it as a "reserve" for posting important stuff but not heavy consumption of content.

User demands change.

I used FB extensively around 2010-2011. It was very laid back and useful especially for school. Groups and messaging were the main features, very rarely did anyone ever "post" something outside of a group.

But they kept adding shit no one asked for, making the website (and the app) slower and bloated. Then came the companies and journalists waiting to cash in on the success of the page and in no time everyone's feed was littered with buzzfeed articles and trash videos. Even respectable people liked and commented on utmost trash, maybe unaware that their actions were made public to anyone in their friends list.

Private groups have often been replaced with discord or slack or Whatsapp groups.

Facebook messenger has also been replaced by a plethora of other, mostly better, IM services.

Somebody is going to create a platform that's a curated newspaper that includes stuff about your friends as frequently as articles from liberal news sources. Since that's pretty much what Facebook is used for now, the new platform will be sleek and unbloated by comparison because all of the old, useless features from Facebook will be gone.

Like good American companies in this same situation, Facebook will probably be in denial for years until it's too late. The company will eventually scrap most of what they do, doubling down on their messenger program, but that won't make any money, so they'll try to drive more revenue by jamming it full of articles and ads you don't want in a messaging program.

And that will be the end of Facebook.

Facebook died when all the grandads came in and started posting right wing or left wing memes

My nieces and nephews think of FB like I think of VHS tapes. So obsolete. They are all on Snapchat and kik

This

As if it was destiny, 2 weeks after I deleted my Facebook account my mom called me out of nowhere asking if I'd set her up a Facebook account

more and more people are realizing social media is a waste of your fucking time and stuff that facilitates quick irl meetups conveniently is superior

>except extreme outsiders
lolwat
FB must build such image around itself, has nothing to do with reality.

underrated post; very true

Well I said it used to be like that, not anymore.

Instagram is more relevant than facebook and a facebook owns it

Bump.

Streamlined services like Twitter, IG and Whatsapp have a lot higher chance of survival than overflowing garbage like MySpace and Facebook. Their complexity is their death.

I don't think Facebook is going anywhere man. Myspace never tried to be an institution of the internet. The term "social media" came AFTER Facebook. You get what I'm saying? What Facebook got right is 1. Going public 2. Aligning themselves with the government/mass media 3. Making their site much more psychologically appealing and hard to get out of

Facebook has dug their toes so deep into the fabric of the internet that even if you don't have an account, they can still trail you through plugins on external websites.

I actually miss Myspace. I was young, but to me, it seemed much less privacy-invasive, much easier to use than 2007-09 Facebook, and just more versatile of a platform in general. The growth of Facebook outside of a small closed network of college students has turned out pretty ugly. I would hope to see it go, but I just don't see that happening.

No Twitter is just as bad as Facebook, bruh

On the one hand I agree but on the other many
newborn fags don't use it, so it'll become obsolete in a few years.
It's concepts are outworn too, e.g. it consumes too much attention for unnecessary things. Maybe the whole company will survive and
evolve but not facebook as a social network (like MSN, ICQ, and others).

I don't have anything to add to the conversation but I think it's important that people like you post more often.

The political climate on Twitter is terrible but it does what it advertises and following the right people/companies gives you the right results.

I'd still wager Twitter will stay relevant far longer than Facebook.

also, Facebook continues to drive business like mad, much moreso than Twitter. Facebook marketing is huge because consumers typically reveal the most accurate data (easily fetchable data, at least) on themselves there.

Right, the exodus of FB as a result of elders chiming in benefited SNAPCHAT

What anyone is using in high school is a strong indicator of what's in the trend.

We've moved from essentially scrolling feeds to more targeted and centralized content.

I've seen this chick on her phone just scrolling twitter and FB, the amount of information overload is mind numbing, scrolling scrolling.

Special snow flakes want to be more than a page or a line, they want to be in a current of present content. That's essentially how twitter soured off, by not integrating streamed media tech and generating disperse and dubious content which is too ephemereal.

>Special snow flakes want to be more than a page or a line, they want to be in a current of present content

That's not necessarily what they "want", that's what years of psychological research and data collection has curated as the best and easiest method to capture interest.

Relevance algorithms and infinite scrolling.

I try to stay away from social networks/clickbait bullshit as far as possible but sometimes, when I look stuff up, I realize how easy it is to get sucked into a never-ending vortex of meaningless content.

If you're not 100% watching out, your mind just kind of drifts away and you just keep scrolling even though you don't even enjoy the content (and sometimes even detest it).

>If you're not 100% watching out, your mind just kind of drifts away and you just keep scrolling even though you don't even enjoy the content (and sometimes even detest it).

Sup Forums much?

>Sup Forums much?
and Youtube, as much as I hate to admit it

Their recommendations are getting pretty good.

I think what he means is that relevant or not, Twitter is losing a lot of money.

Facebook is on another level dude. Sup Forums is anonymous. The average person's feed will contain none of the facilitated discussion you see here right now. If there is discussion, it's heavily influenced by a number of factors completely separate of the content, from things as blatant as the like system to subtle nuances like the appearance of the people posting.