>2017
>Pins on the CPU

If an accident occurs, you have to replace a $500 CPU rather than a $150 motherboard. Great logic AMD.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-8#post-38775732
youtube.com/watch?v=0NzvJ0q_MqY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>2017
>OP is still a clumsy ape

>amd btfo
How will they ever recover from this blunder

>being a fucking gorilla
let me guess you drop your phone too

>he's not capable of precision installation

Those pins are a lot easier to bend back than the ones in mobos though

But it's just a jew tactic anyway, making the motherboard manufacturers bear the cost of the pins and thus increasing Intel's profits

How else am I supposed to clean the contacts and replace the thermal paste every 3 months or so?

try not being a fucking retard

>being so much of a chimp you manage to break cpu pins
Damn, OP.

>But it's just a jew tactic anyway, making the motherboard manufacturers bear the cost of the pins and thus increasing Intel's profits

Are you retarded? It's literally the opposite. AMD is the jews, they want you to break your CPU and buy a whole new one from them again.

I haven't replaced anything in 5 years. ;))))

Just keep a knife handy. As long as you're careful you'll be good.

>grasping at straws this hard to force your dumbshit Sup Forumstard narrative
Materials cost isn't shit on CPUs, dude. AMD also uses LGA packages too on their server chips, so if the use of LGA makes you a kike then they both are dirty kikes (they are) and your gay-ass brainlet worldview still falls apart.

It definitely pushes responsibility for bent pins on a mainboard manufacturer, but board-side pins in an LGA package are also way fucking harder to damage just because of how the packaging works, and everyone else is right in that it's usually a ~$100 part vs. a ~$300 part, in that case it's a win-win, and in the end nobody here should give a fuck about which rich kike corporation has to front the cost for your damaged shit.

Stop being such a beta white knight piece of fanboy shit.

Being this dumb. kill yourself op

How does this even happen? Are they making chips out of cardboard?

Straighten them, retard. Or better yet, don't bend them in the first place.

You put the CPU aligned in the wrong corner and whammo.

I found straightening bent pins on cpu is by far much easier than straightening a bent socket contact on mobo.

>clean the contacts
why the fuck would you need to do this ever?

I guess if your shit CPU just has metal pads on it that can degrade in contact area, you might. pins are drastically more robust.

mechanical pencil is better

Just Straighten it out dude, it work fine :D

> replace the thermal paste every 3 months
is this even necessary?

Reminder to the dumb AYYYYMDPOOJEETS defending PGA shit, that amd opterons were LGA since forever.

AMD's LGA implementation is also much better than Intel's, much like their SMT implementation is much better than Intel's.

Feels like it would be overly fragile and not as fine, and can't it also make some kind of electrical contact between pins?

Why you even care what amd use. tryin to get amdfag get fucked like you ?

>y-yeah b-but their implementation is better!
It's the same shit you delusional moron.

this
They keep trying to say it's from big air coolers, but the way of the bend in the chip screams otherwise.

:^)

>clean the contacts

Idk about their LGA implementation and frankly I don't care, I've installed AMD and Intel CPUs with no problem, but AMD's SMT is noy better than Intel's hyper threading. You can actually see increased performance by turning SMT off with Ryzen in some applications. Intel's hyper threading used to be like that, but it's improved in recent generations.

I like how intel keep save budget on each generation

This is why you match the arrow on the CPU with the arrow on the motherboard, kids.

I guess this is the most relevant thread to ask my tangentially related question.

How is the actual silicon chip connected to the heat spreader? If the silicon is so sensitive that they have to be made in clean rooms because microscopic dust can ruin the chips, how can they be physically connected to something to transfer the heat away?

both PGA and LGA pin arrangement have their pluses and minuses.

in PGA the main strengths are
-rugged (much more durable to remove and reinsert, easily allowing hundreds of change outs without damaging the socket or cpu, LGA sockets tend to wear out after 6-12 chip switch outs. The pins are almost impossible to fix in the LGA socket in the event of something being bent)
-allows higher and more stable voltage control

in LGA the main strengths are
-better temps and FASTER voltage control (or at least that's what intel claims, no one has been able to definitively prove this)
-can pack more pins in a smaller area (technically true, however due to the contact points on the cpu needing to be big enough to RELIABLY contact the pins whatever space advantages are negligible)

In reality I suspect Intel went LGA to offload "returns" over bent pins to the motherboard manufacturers, and there is no actual advantage in chip making to the LGA arrangement. Personally I like the intel chip locking mechanism on the socket, but beyond that there is nothing advantageous about LGA over PGA

solder or jewcum TIM

I do enjoy pinless, but honestly, if you fuck this up you deserve it.

I would also assume pinless is cheaper for the manufacturer. It pushes costs to the mobo fabricator.

Whatever

More like if you use a heavy cooler and move your PC, didn't happen nearly as much on LGA 1155 and LGA 1150.

>Pins on CPUs have been fine for 40 years
>AMD makes a somewhat decent CPU
>Pins on CPUs are not fine any more

If you are going to shill, at least do it with class.

this doesn't matter.

this board really has just degenerated into pointless shitposting threads.

>3 year warranty on both the CPU and mobo

>Force AMD CPU wrong way
Oh shit, my CPU is broken, I'm a moron
>Force Intel CPU wrong way
Oh shit, my CPU and Motherboard are broken, I'm a moron.

We are talking about straightening bent pins, yes? It's a hell of a lot easier than using a knife.

>You can actually see increased performance by turning SMT off with Ryzen in some applications. Intel's hyper threading used to be like that, but it's improved in recent generations.
the performance regression is literally only due to Windows throwing threads around like candy and jumping them from CCX cluster to CCX cluster. In heavily parallel loads there is a greater performance increase from turning SMT on for AMD than for Intel.

Apparently the issue with Ryzen is Windows is treating the logical core the same as physical, which degrades performance. There is a patch coming to rectify that.

>look guys, it's another "let's throw shit at amd for literally anything" thread

come on Isaac, go to bed already

I'll believe the patch will fix things when I see it.

Do you think Microsoft will fix it?
I'll go back to Windows 7 otherwise
I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't want that :^)
>inb4 they back-port their fucked up multithreading system

Apparently Windows 10 has some sort of issue that causes SMT to tank performance.

forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-8#post-38775732

This guy reports Windows 7 improving performance in general but especially with SMT enabled.

The warranty covers breaking your own pins?

linus tech tips?

Pretty much all of the cost is in the fabrication. The pins are almost a rounding error in the overall cost.

Ryzen looks just like a Phenom II

They're pure gold, you street-shitter.

>use billion dollar state of the art technology to decrease transistor size and increase CPU speed due to lower travel distance of electrons
>Sup Forumstard complains about cutting costs
My little user really is this retarded.

>If an accident occurs

Accidents always will occur if they can, eventually, no matter what. You have to be a complete mongoloid to fuck up something which gets touched maybe once every few years.

It's very rare for people to break the pins on the CPU or the motherboard

But moving the pins to the mobo saves Intel pennies per every CPU sold

Guess which is more profitable?

Yes, a three atom layer of pure gold on the outside of the pins.

Same package design, AMD hasn't changed their packaging on their consumer chips in years. They all look pretty much the same except for the pin arrangement on the bottom.

no

>clean the contacts
niggawatt

actually yes.

Sure buddy. using "toothpaste" is Intel billion dollar state of the art technology too right

Where this 3month thermal paste meme come from

>clean the contacts

You dont need to. The CPU has pins. Nothing can get into the socket.

Stop living in a dusty shithole.

You don't change your CPU grease every 20,000,000 GHz?

Everyone who replied to this post before me got trolled

youtube.com/watch?v=0NzvJ0q_MqY

How do you actually manage to bend a CPU pin? Besides, bending it back is trivial. I'd love to see you repair the pins on an LGA socket.

>accident occurs
like what?
shooting yourself in the head?

windows 10 fags btfo.

Then why does it work fine with Intel...

2 months ago, I replaced paste after 2 years of using it. You have gorilla hands ?

i haven't touched mine for 5 years. it just werks

this is the amd equivalent of you're holding the phone wrong

mayonnaise goes bad, you know

>straight pins which drop in effortlessly into recesses
vs.
>s-shaped pins you have to clamp your CPU down onto

I've literally handled thousands of pins and never bent a single one. I'll take the drop-in version anytime.

Because Intel has had SMT, or as they call it, Hyperthreading, for poking on a decade, Windows has had to adapt and implement it.

Clearly people here are too young to remember Nahelem when it released, how performance was nearly cut in half with hyperthreading enabled.

Microsoft must add AMD's SMT implementation to the task scheduler in order to get shit working right. But they don't have to learn it all over again, it's not a new technology, they know how to work with it.

If it was Intel, you'd be replacing a $400+ motherboard

Hey guys, what's the maximum memory speed ryzen supports?

>accidents happen on $500 CPU
Maybe grow up a bit before handling expensive things. Your butterfingers need fixing.

Or ask an adult nearby to do it for you.

>I swap my CPU everyday
Stop watching Linus shill tips

officially 2400 because JEDEC standards only specify up to DDR4-2400 (applies to Intel as well). everything above that is "overclocking" and whether it works properly depends on your mainboard and modules.

even if you did break it, just solder on something conductive and you're good to go again

Not to mention it's nearly impossible to bend the pins on a motherboard.

All you need is a long sleeved jumper worn by someone that doesn't roll their sleeves up before working on their computer.

>Great logic AMD.
isnt it?

So, for the literal decades that I've been using CPUs with the pins attached, with zero accidents, this is suddenly going to change because it's 2017?

>2017
>pins on the motherboard

even if you're an autistic ape it's way easier to bend back the pins on the CPU than fix these fucking tiny springs on an LGA socket. Not to mention

only an idiot can bend those pins.

dumb retards who use basic white silicon grease instead of a silver/diamond compound that actually gets better as it cures and dries.

You might want to clean it every FIVE year, simply so it doesn't harden into rocklike consistency.

If an accident occurs, you fix it with a pencil instead of throwing away a 150 USD motherboard.

Good luck fixing pins on LGA socket, dude! ON PGPA chips they are much more robust and they face straight up, easy to fix. Fixing LGA is work for Noldor.

Oldschool socket/cpu is more durable and cheaper to make, so we all win.